Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Why do I need to download Adobe Flash Player? I was told it is unsecure and vunerable to hacking.

New Poster

Why do I need to download Adobe Flash Player? I was told it is unsecure and vunerable to hacking.

I use Firefox as my browser and I have deleted Adobe Flash Player from my computer.

However, today Xfinity asked me to download Flash to view TV on my computer.

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Why do I need to download Adobe Flash Player? I was told it is unsecure and vunerable to hacking

grivers2 wrote:

I use Firefox as my browser and I have deleted Adobe Flash Player from my computer.

However, today Xfinity asked me to download Flash to view TV on my computer.

Yep, kind of strange that comcast's new technology requires flash that is almost dead.

If you haven't seen the new site yet you can see all the changes here:

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Xfinity-TV-Website/Announcement-and-feedback-thread-TV-Go-is-now-part-o...

Official Employee

Re: Why do I need to download Adobe Flash Player? I was told it is unsecure and vunerable to hacking

The XFINITY TV portal is build using HTML5. However, Flash is required for by our digital rights management (DRM) platform to protect content as required by content licensing deals with programmers. Comcast is working on solutions that don't require Flash which will replace the existing system when available. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
New Poster

Thank you for the reply.

New Poster

any news on when this will happen, playback is almost impossible because flash crashes constantly.

i end up angry and frustrated.

how can xfinity say you are moving forward when you are using such backward technology?

Contributor

ComcastDan wrote:

The XFINITY TV portal is build using HTML5. However, Flash is required for by our digital rights management (DRM) platform to protect content as required by content licensing deals with programmers. Comcast is working on solutions that don't require Flash which will replace the existing system when available. 

Is there a particular reason they are not using the DRM from the prior vesion of the website, that did not require Flash? You know, the site that had lots of features that customers actually wanted and used?