Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Why can't I get my local channels outside of the home?

New Poster

Why can't I get my local channels outside of the home?

It bothers me that I pay (a lot) of money for comcast use,yet there r programming that can only be viewed in the home.Why?I work the over night shift at my job.During down time is when I can see my shows but I cant(local channels).Can't see them at home because I sleep during the day.

Official Employee

Re: Why can't I get my local channels outside of the home?

Krwillia21 wrote:

It bothers me that I pay (a lot) of money for comcast use,yet there r programming that can only be viewed in the home.Why?I work the over night shift at my job.During down time is when I can see my shows but I cant(local channels).Can't see them at home because I sleep during the day.

The rights to stream content outside the home (called "TV Everywhere" rights) are separately negotiated from the rights to deliver it in-home. Local broadcast stations are owned by dozens of separate companies with only about 10 major market stations owned by the network itself.  The stations owned by the networks are called "Owned and Operated" stations. Comcast has been able to secure the rights for ABC and NBC in these markets - places like Chicago, San Francisco and New York. XFINITY customers in these markets will see ABC and/or NBC in their "Available out of home" lineups. Comcast continues to try to secure broader coverage.

-ComcastDan

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation