Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Why are scheduled DVR recordingsrecording on office PC?

Frequent Visitor

Why are scheduled DVR recordingsrecording on office PC?

My DVR was converted to a X1 Anyroom DVR recently.  While at work, I scheduled a TV program to record on my home DVR via the Xfinity website.  The program did not record on the home DVR instead it recorded on my office PC.  Technical support cannot resolve this issue and, frankly, they are confused too.  I can manually schedule a recording at home but not on the website.  Any suggestions? 

Frequent Visitor

Re: Why are scheduled DVR recordingsrecording on office PC?

laedw wrote:

My DVR was converted to a X1 Anyroom DVR recently.  While at work, I scheduled a TV program to record on my home DVR via the Xfinity website.  The program did not record on the home DVR instead it recorded on my office PC.  Technical support cannot resolve this issue and, frankly, they are confused too.  I can manually schedule a recording at home but not on the website.  Any suggestions? 

Interesting. I've considered myself a Xfinity® Website superuser since such remote DVR capabilities were implemented a few years ago (which has existed since before the X1 launch) -- I'm quite the fan of those capabilities when they interface correctly and functionality is not an issue -- It's so much easier to schedule DVR programming in moments online (anywhere on any device) versus the time-intensive task of going thru the receiver & thumbing thru live guide. What I do know is that the main website and mobile applications are a constant work in progress -- I expected that the interface and these capabilities would've been perfected with the X1 launch, but I was wrong. This most recent website revision has some advantages, but it's been a real mess at the same time -- Customers also lost some of the functionality/capabilities we liked previously. Nevertheless, a host of quirks and errors still exist between the equipment in home and it's online interface capabilities. Previously, setting a DVR recording (one-time or series) by either method was like using two very different systems (different menu options, etc) -- Today it is more uniform/consistent between the live guide and online versions, but it's not necessarily easier to schedule programs online because of other issues. There's definitely much to be desired as it remains an imperfect existence. It's unfortunate, because these capabilities are amazing and convenient when they work.

What do you mean by recorded on Office PC? As in the program recorded and is stored somewhere on your office computer? That seems impossible -- Given the proprietary nature of programming and copyright, Xfinity would never allow a program to record on anything other than their official equipment and/or cloud -- I suspect your seeing the program recorded on the cloud yet its not showing up on your DVR drive/saved programs at home? Which is why you describe it as having recorded on your office PC, but I believe your actually seeing/watching the program thru the Xfinity® website/cloud (which you can access from any online PC). I've had many issues with programs showing on the DVR/saved programs menu but not on the cloud/website, as well as the other way around, where it's on the cloud/website but not showing on DVR/saved program menu -- These issues are often related to DVR drive space and/or cloud space issues; because Xfinity® changed storage space requirements from size of actual tv program files (total mb) to time (total hours of programming). It's ridiculous and has caused countless customer issues. Naturally, customers can't expand/increase space with an additional hard drive, etc either -- It's all about Xfinity® having control of YOUR content, however that's another discussion. 

Xfinity has implemented X2-Cloud Based Technology (with supposed plans to go 100% to cloud based storage in the future), your Anyroom DVR/Receiver (cable box) still has a "hard drive" where it stores recorded programs, then those programs mirror on the cloud (so you can access them by pc or Xfinity® mobile app/device), which then allows you to watch remotely (after signing in and autheticating your account). If a difference exists between your DVR drive and cloud space it will cause problems. Additionally, when Xfinity® implemented full functionality of the Cloud, any customers with programs recorded May/June 2016 or later were saved/mirrored to cloud, while any programs recorded prior to then stayed on the DVR but dont show on the cloud -- This has caused different used space amounts (and/or space availability) between the actual DVR drive and the cloud which causes conflicts -- In other words, Xfinity® neither accounted for, nor have solutions for these differences in space; which has resulted in these programming conflicts that customers like you and I have experienced. Going 100% cloud and getting rid of these hard drives/boxes (which Xfinity® makes a fortune on) would easily fix these issues. 

Is your actual DVR/box full? Close to being maxed? How much space do you have (see progress bar upper-right at Saved (Programs) menu)? Are the recordings on our DVR Saved Programs Menu the same as the Saved Programs on the Cloud?

Sometimes rebooting your X1/DVR receiver will correct the issue. You could also make sure your signed out of the Xfinity Website, Clear Cookies from your Browser (I use the free CCleaner for that but like to save/uncheck Internet History), and then reboot your PC -- Sometimes Technology needs a simple restart to correct issues.

I've had many issues related to this madness -- Xfinity®'s cloud and their incessant insistence on having absolute control of your content is what has caused all of these and related issues. A multi-billion dollar congolmerate with an unlimited number of programmers can't seem write the appropriate code to get these problems corrected -- There's no excuse for it. I've submitted countless technical support escalations related to these issues. As of lately it's gotten worse for me -- I have various DVR programs on X1 that won't show up concurrently on DVR and cloud correctly, or won't delete correctly after being watched, or flat out lockup with error codes, and so on. You'll definitely want to escalate your issue as well -- No one less than a Tier III - Advanced Repair Group Technician should attempt to address these issues for you -- Otherwise it will be a waste of time with first-line tech support. It's literally been years now since I've had at least 30 days of consistent, reliable service without errors, quirks, or related failures. When you speak with Advanced Repair, ask for their direct number for the future.

Good Luck -- I sure hope they get this issue resolved!

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation