Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Watching xfinity from phone on smart tv

New Poster

Watching xfinity from phone on smart tv

I have a smart tv in bedroom, but no cablebox connected. How do I pull up xfinity app on phone or tablet (android), and stream/cast to tv wireless? I don't want to pay for cable box or laptop to connect as it's my daughter's room/ guest room and she's off in college and room only gets used occasionally. It is on my home network.
If this can't be done, how do I do this wireless (ie... different brand tv, Chromecast, roku, PS3...)
I've been beating my head agaInst wall trying to make this happen! Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Watching xfinity from phone on smart tv

smiling_big2000 wrote:
I have a smart tv in bedroom, but no cablebox connected. How do I pull up xfinity app on phone or tablet (android), and stream/cast to tv wireless? I don't want to pay for cable box or laptop to connect as it's my daughter's room/ guest room and she's off in college and room only gets used occasionally. It is on my home network.
If this can't be done, how do I do this wireless (ie... different brand tv, Chromecast, roku, PS3...)
I've been beating my head agaInst wall trying to make this happen! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Casting or mirriring from the streaming app is blocked by xf. The only way to get streaming from xf to a tv is using a pc and the streaming web site with hdmi cable or casting harrdware, or using a roku with the roku app

Frequent Visitor

Re: Watching xfinity from phone on smart tv

in re ROKU - there is a beta XFINITY ROKU app out now it seems .. I unfortunately bought a WebOS TV thinking I could stream or even mirror the XFINITY content I already pay for, to it. However, it seems that Xfinity (or to be fair, DMCA regs) intentionally block the ability to stream from a "device" to a smart TV ..

I actually went to the big box store today to look into smart TVs that have ROKU built in, or even to buy a simple ROKU stick

I got there too early, they were not open yet, so I started Googling in the parking lot

From what I can tell, the "beta" app is indeed available to both TVs with integrated ROKU, or to the ROKU stick ... free of charge ! So to speak - ROKU stick is $50 or so ..

The sad truth is that it is about as "free" as thinking your initial Xfinity package pricing is going to stay in place and then finding out it is really just a piece of bait, only to skyrocket after 24 months

The ROKU app allows free access to the Xfinity Stream App now ..

but will eventually turn into yet another duplicative monthly fee for content you already pay to see - rumored to be 9.95 a month to Comcast .. maybe 7.45 if it is the primary way you access xfinity .. i guess that means 7.45 if you have no set top boxes in your house already

So in essence - the box you buy from ROKU becomes an "additional outlet" in Comcast's eyes, and although you paid extra $ to get the ROKU, you still pay around ten bucks a month to access the xfinity stream service

This seems to explain why they made the switch from the online streaming URL - to the new App we have now .. to lock you into having to pay even more money, to stream to your TV where it remains "free" to watch on your tablet or to HDMI as a second monitor to your TV from a laptop/Mac

So that is what I'll be doing .. just using HDMI second screen on that particular TV when needed ... unless Comcast figures out a way to shut that down too :-)

Repeat disclaimer - this may be a direct result of the legislation, not Comcast's fault per se - but they certainly wasted no time figuring out how to capitalize on it

Anyone else have input or is the additional fee just rumor (on multiple reputable sites) ? 

ARRRGGGHH .... I am no cord-cutter, I have X1, multiple TVs, blazing fast internet and so on - great service, but pricey at this point - this scenario is for a new TV in the screen porch where I just have no intention of putting yet another xfinity box .. between AT&T and XFINITY monthly costs now, I could have bought a BMW (and no, putting everything I have with AT&T under the Comcast umbrella actually comes out higher, I checked)

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation