New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Watching TV on my computer

ANSWERED
Regular Contributor

Watching TV on my computer

Not sure this is the right place, but I keep seeing ads for signing up with Comcast to watch TV shows and programs I've recorded on my DVR, on my computer.  I haven't been able to tell from the ads if there is an extra charge for this service.  Knowing Comcast, there probably is, but I wanted to check.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Accepted Solution

Re: Watching TV on my computer

I just chatted with Comcast.  According to them, X1 is included in my Xf Tripple Play service at no extra charge.  Go figure. 

View answer in context
Service Expert

billinden wrote:

Not sure this is the right place, but I keep seeing ads for signing up with Comcast to watch TV shows and programs I've recorded on my DVR, on my computer.  I haven't been able to tell from the ads if there is an extra charge for this service.  Knowing Comcast, there probably is, but I wanted to check.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

You would need to subscribe to the X1 Service for this feature.  It will be possible not only on your computer, but with any mobile device outside of your home.  I use a laptop and watch movies from my DVR while I'm on fishing trips where cable is not available...

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers,the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing.  Please ensure your post is in the correct Forum to begin with.  Please do not send me Private Messages for personal help but instead use the Forums to allow everyone to read and offer comments to assist you.  Comcast employees are identified with RED lettered User Names.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Regular Contributor

Thank you for your reply. I assume the answer to my question is yes there is any extra charge. Any idea how much?

Service Expert

billinden wrote:

Thank you for your reply. I assume the answer to my question is yes there is any extra charge. Any idea how much?

ricing varies by market location, but when I moved to the X1 plaform, my actual price went down $11 per month....  most users state it stays the smae or increaes per the number of DVRs that are added ( more than 1)

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers,the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing.  Please ensure your post is in the correct Forum to begin with.  Please do not send me Private Messages for personal help but instead use the Forums to allow everyone to read and offer comments to assist you.  Comcast employees are identified with RED lettered User Names.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Regular Contributor

So, I have Preferred Triple Play Xf.   Is X1 included in that or is it extra?  Thanks.

Service Expert

billinden wrote:

So, I have Preferred Triple Play Xf.   Is X1 included in that or is it extra?  Thanks.

You should call into Comcast ands veryify if X1 is vailable in your market.  The only way to be sure.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Regular Contributor

I just chatted with Comcast.  According to them, X1 is included in my Xf Tripple Play service at no extra charge.  Go figure. 

New Poster

I can watch live tv and can schedule recordings on dvr but unable to watch recordings remotely (computer or iPad).  Any suggestions?

New Poster

To clarify:  I can watch live and schedule remotely, via X1, but can't watch dvr remotely. 

Regular Contributor

Mark1204 wrote:

To clarify:  I can watch live and schedule remotely, via X1, but can't watch dvr remotely. 

That would be awesome. I would also like to know if that's possible. 

New Poster

Comcast says you can do it via dvr manager but the only option it gives me is "watch on tv". Would be grateful if someone can tell me what to do. 

Service Expert

Mark1204 wrote:

Comcast says you can do it via dvr manager but the only option it gives me is "watch on tv". Would be grateful if someone can tell me what to do. 

You can do this if ou are in a location that offers Cloud.   Refer to this link for the FAQ's of X1 & Cloud DVR:  http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-dvr-cloud-technology-general-faqs/

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information - (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers, the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing.  Please ensure your post is in the correct Forum to begin with.   Please do not send me Private Messages for personal help but instead use the Forums to allow everyone to read and offer comments to assist you. 
******* Comcast Official Employees (OE) are identified with
RED lettered User Names. *******

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Regular Contributor

Thanks Geek46. Sounds like it costs extra. Big surprise, huh?  My Comcast bill is outrages now so I think I'll pass. 

geek46 wrote:

Mark1204 wrote:

You can do this if ou are in a location that offers Cloud.   Refer to this link for the FAQ's of X1 & Cloud DVR:  http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-dvr-cloud-technology-general-faqs/

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information - (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers, the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing.  Please ensure your post is in the correct Forum to begin with.   Please do not send me Private Messages for personal help but instead use the Forums to allow everyone to read and offer comments to assist you. 
******* Comcast Official Employees (OE) are identified with
RED lettered User Names. *******

New Poster

Thanks!  The key, for anyone else interested is  xtv.comcast.net  (if you have x1). 

Very quick and simple to set up once you get to the right place.  Thanks again.

Regular Contributor

Care to elaborate?  What is xtv.comcast.net? 

New Poster

Comcast kept telling me (onscreen, by email, etc) that I had to get a new set-top box to keep getting HD, or something like that.  One time when I wasn't home my wife believed them and ordered the new box. This is all about "x1", everything is cloud-based.  It's actually pretty good.  You can not only set up recording remotely, you can watch remotely what's been recorded -- which I did this evening, 500 miles from home.  Once you have x1, you go to the url  xtv.comcast.net  on any device from which you want to control your dvr or watch stuff on it -- which I didn't know until getting the info from geek46.  I set it up on my laptop, my ipad, my iphone, and my wife's three devices as well.  It works great.  I never have tried to determine whether I really did need to make this change, but I believe it did not add to my monthly bill (although it may turn out that I'm wrong about that). 

Regular Contributor

Thank you very much. I appreciate your taking the time to explain. 

Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 3 in conversation