Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Watching Live TV on CNN App - Reply Requested from Comcast

New Poster

Watching Live TV on CNN App - Reply Requested from Comcast

For MONTHS I've been trying to watch CNN live on my iPhone or iPad with the CNN app.  CNN advertises  continuously on their channel how if you have CNN you can now watch it "on the go" with the CNN app. I've never been able to get it to work & quite frankly haven't had the time to look into it.

Anytime I log into the app to view live TV, this is the message I get :  "The network is not included in your current XFINITY TV subscription.  Upgrade your service now to watch this network".

This is complete BS because CNN is playing on the TV in the other room.

Finally, about 2 weeks ago I decided to contact Comcast to see what the problem was & hopefully get this resolved.  In 2 weeks time I have chatted with four agents online & three on the phone and I've heard everything from "they've reset my account & wait an hour and try again" to "they've submitted a trouble ticket"....& on & on.  Today I get a call from someone at Comcast at 10am (at work when I clearly told them to only call me after 6pm at home) who proceeded to try to explain that even though I have CNN I don't have the correct "package" and I needed to upgrade my service.  When I asked her what package I needed all she could say was she didn't know and I needed to call sales.

A quick Google search shows that MANY people are having this same issue and it's been going on since the end of 2011.  Even on this very site people have left messages & Comcast replies & says they're "working on it", but a solution never comes.

Can someone please explain to me how I get this to work & if I can't watch CNN on my iPad with my plan, why does CNN advertise over & over & over at every commercial break that I can watch it....& then Comcast is going to put limitations on it and charge me more to enjoy what (according to CNN) I should already have?

If there was another cable provider in my area I would have already switched.  As it stands my only other solutions are DirecTV & Dish Network and I just might be making the switch if someone from Comcast doesn't reply to this.

Thank you,

Joey B
Charlottesville, VA

Tags (1)
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Watching Live TV on CNN App - Reply Requested from Comcast

I have never tried that but just did.  First I went and got it working here.

http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/live/network/cnn

does that work for you on your computer.??

then I went to the app, click watch live and then I picked comcast as my provider, it then asked me to login so I logged in the primary account holders credentials then it starts playing on my ipad. 

When you do it what happens?  do you get an error?

New Poster

Thanks for the message!

When I just tried clicking on the link you provided on my computer it let's me log in & watch it with no problem.

When I try that same link on the iPad I get a message saying the only way I can view the content is with the XFINITY app.  I open that (since I've tried this before) & I can watch older/pre-recorded CNN programs, but live TV isn't an option.

I restarted my iPad and tried the CNN app again & click on the link to watch TV & when I log in using my Comcast user name & password, I'm still getting the message I get from the beginning.

Silver Problem Solver

yes you do need to watch it from the cnn app not the xfinity tv player.

what level package do you have? 

New Poster

I have the "Blast! Plus" package - Internet w/ Digital Economy

The fact that I can watch it in my browser on my computer by logging in means I should be able to watch it on the iPad, right?

Silver Problem Solver

that should work yes.  send a PM to comcastjoe and have him look at your account you can find him all over this thread.

Official Employee

The original poster is being helped for the same issue here:

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-Website/CNN-LiveTV-subscription-required-error/m-p/1558989#M2...

I am locking this thread.

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation