Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

WatchESPN - How to turn off Closed Captioning

New Poster

WatchESPN - How to turn off Closed Captioning

Whenever I use the WatchESPN app on my iPad, the closed captioning appears.  Is there any way to turn this off?

Official Employee

Re: WatchESPN - How to turn off Closed Captioning

acavanzino wrote:

Whenever I use the WatchESPN app on my iPad, the closed captioning appears.  Is there any way to turn this off?

What specific show/event are you trying to watch that has closed captioning? Most (if not all) videos on the WatchESPN App do not offer captioning.

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
New Poster

The WatchESPN player does in fact offer cc on all iOS devices.  To enable/disable this feature, open the Settings (not the WatchESPN app settings, but the device settings), and click on Videos.  Under Videos, you will be able to turn cc ON/OFF.  Hope this help!

Kevin

New Poster

im trying to watch the BCS game on my iPhone 5 right now, using the WatchEspn App. Same problem... cc appears at the top of the screen. no idea why.
Frequent Visitor

I had this happening watching via my iPad through my appleTv. To stop cc I had to go in to settings on my AppleTV and turn off cc. I also went into my iPad and under Videos Preferences turned off cc. It appears turning it off on settings in AppleTV was the key.
New Poster

I am experiencing the same problem on my iPad2 (iOS 7.1.2 – up to date).  Fixed captions while watching all sports through the WatchESPN app.  I followed the directions above. but there was no "closed captioning" toggle option on the Settings>Videos screen.  Just "start playig" and "Show All Videos".  Is it a iOS software update issue?

New Poster

Was having the same issue. iPad didn't have that setting under "video". I was able to fix the issue by doing the following :
Go to Settings > General > Accessibility > Subtitles & Captioning.
Tap the switch next to Closed Captions + SDH.

I turned this on and then off again and problem solved.
New Poster

Thanks "michaudba". That worked for me.

New Poster

Worked for me as well. Thanks.
New Poster

All the wimbledon coverage on espn3 has started showing close captioning even when I toggle the CC option onthe video progress bar.  How do I turn this off?!