New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

WE WANT NETFLIX SUPER HD

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 1 of 72

When you search for “Example Short 23.976” on Netflix, you will find a short video that will help you determine if you are receiving Super HD. It displays the bitrate of the Netflix stream in the upper left corner of the screen. Bitrate speeds for HD fall in the range of 3850 kbps, 4300 kbps, and 5800 kbps with the latter being Super HD. Try it and see what you get. If you are not receiving Netflix in Super HD, why spend all that money on a fast internet connection? Even if you are receiving Netflix in Super HD, you may find that a slower speed will produce a picture every bit as good in addition to saving you a lot of money.

You may not know this but in 2012, Comcast was ordered by the FCC to offer a stand-alone broadband service with a download speed of at least 6 mbps at a price no greater than $49.95 per month. This order was extended to February 21, 2015 and the speed tier is called Performance Starter. As recent retirees on a fixed income, we opted for this service as the price is lower than most other plans and fixed at $49.95 per month with no other taxes, charges or feesThat’s right: a fixed price with no surprise increases in your bill and no added junk fees. This, by the way, is a rarity within Comcast’s service offerings. However, I should say that even at this price, we are paying way too much for the speed we get but that is a conversation for another day. So, we only have Comcast’s Performance Starter internet service with NO subscription to Xfinity TV, Voice, or Home, NO Bundle, NO Comcast Cable Box, and NO Contract. Here’s a list of junk fees that we don’t pay and you can avoid them too:

• HD DVR Rental, Service, or Technology Fees
  • Digital Adaptor, Outlet, or Access Fees
  • Broadcast TV Fees
  • Blast or Boost Fees
  • Converter Fees
  • Premium Channel Fees
  • On Demand Fees
  • Pay-Per-View Fees
  • Streampix Fees
  • CableCard Fees
  • Remote Control Fees
  • Regulatory Recovery Fees
  • FCC Fees
  • Franchise Fees
  • State Assessment Fees
  • Convenience Fees
  • Electronic Change Fees
  • Electronic Charge Fees
  • Transaction Fees
  • Enrollment Fees
  • Protection Plan Fees
  • Rights of Way Use Fees 
  • Voice/Data Modem Fees
  • Wireless Gateway Fees
  • Universal Connectivity Charges
  • Federal Excise Taxes
  • Gross Receipts Taxes
  • State and Local Sales Taxes
  • Utility or Communications Services Taxes

The more you bundle, the more of these fees Comcast will tack on to your bill. Not only did we want to avoid paying these junk fees but we were really sick of paying triple-digit monthly bills as well as suffering through commercials that were taking up nearly 1/3 of every viewing hour. Performance Starter allows us to enjoy a FAR SUPERIOR VIEWING EXPERIENCE than we ever had with Comcast TV at a fraction of what we paid in the past. As cord-cutters, we use a streaming device (Roku, Apple TV, and Google Chromecast are the more popular ones with the Amazon Fire TV being the most recent) for all of our TV viewing including news, TV shows, and movies as well as music. We now have more great content than we have time to watch. These streaming devices make Comcast’s Cable Box obsolete as well as their TV offerings and I have fond memories of dumping off their box at our local Comcast service center – much to their displeasure. The news we watch now is far better than anything we ever had on Comcast TV and, thanks to Netflix as well as Amazon (which recently added older HBO shows to their streaming catalog), we can now watch commercial-free TV and movies. If you cannot do without basic network TV, you could install an OTA antenna and possibly get many HD channels for free depending on your position relative to the broadcast towers. Even though we receive basic network TV for free, we never watch it as the streaming alternatives are so far superior. I should say, however, that it took some time to adjust to watching in this way as we had been so conditioned to think that it really wasn’t “TV” unless you are continually bombarded by commercials. It’s certainly a welcome change now for us to be able to watch what we want, when we want, on our TV or whatever other device we want, rather being constrained by Comcast’s TV schedule and limited by their offerings. We used to watch Comcast On Demand movies but when we cross-checked them against IMDb, we found that they rated quite poorly, whereas Netflix and Amazon have an amazing assortment of great content. Even with heavy HD TV viewing, we never go over 200 GB/month but I should say we are a hardwired single video stream household. Although Comcast recently suspended their 250 monthly GB bandwidth cap, they are raising it to 300 GB/month in selected service areas. While it doesn’t affect us, if you are running multiple video streams at the same time within your household, you could experience some congestion and you might be subject to a $10 charge for every 50 GB you exceed the 300 GB cap. My guess is that, for most of you, streaming TV over the internet will still work out to be a great deal. We have found that it works out quite well and is well worth the sacrifices. Last but not least, if you have a bundle that includes Xfinity Voice, try Republic Wireless for your phone and drop Xfinity Voice as well as your landline. Republic Wireless’s smartphone is really worth considering particularly if you feel you are also being fleeced by Big Cell.

In the past when we bundled services, it was easy for Comcast to bamboozle us with their pricing shenanigans but not anymore. In fact, it turns out that a bundle may not be in your best interest after you check out other options like the one I mentioned above. We found Comcast’s Performance Starter single play is a simple way to lower your bill, improve your viewing experience, and manage the cost of their service. It is really like a double play (since you can get TV as well as internet) but you only pay for a single play and it is not just for new subscribers – everyone is eligible! By using a streaming device with Comcast’s Performance Starter it is quite easy to drop Comcast TV with its obnoxious commercials and ridiculous pricing and enjoy an amazing TV viewing experience. Comcast, however, will try just about anything to keep you from cancelling your TV subscription. They are betting that since you are so used to TV like it is now, you will be incapable of changing to something new. They will try to discourage you by saying that Performance Starter is not enough to stream TV in HD but don’t believe them - it is more than adequate for all our HD viewing as well as VoIP and internet use. In fact, Performance Starter, while advertised at 6/1, has received an unadvertised speed increase in our area and is consistently clocking in at 7.5 down and 1.3 up. This is more than sufficient to stream HD from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube, PBS, Vudu, and many others. Next, Comcast will try to upsell you with a temporary offer for additional overpriced services but don’t fall for it…you will just be shell-shocked when the prices revert back to normal. Comcast’s latest sales tactic is to say that internet alone would cost more than internet and TV together. Be very wary of this strategy as you need to factor in all applicable junk fees I noted above in order to really make an accurate comparison. I’d also be leery of Comcast’s latest VISA gift card scheme as there are lots of complaints about it in this forum. Lastly, they may even send you to their retention department to dissuade you from changing your service plan. I can’t emphasize this enough: just stand firm and insist on Performance Starter and nothing more. We automatically pay the bill each month with our credit card and so rarely need to contact the company (it’s been years). This makes life easier as reports in this forum indicate that customer service is just a nightmare. All this is really not that hard to implement or acclimate to and will pay off in spades.

Feel free to reply if you have any questions. If you found any of this helpful, please pass it on to others who could benefit from it and ask them to do the same. In any case, please consider leaving me a Kudo (RED thumbs up) before you go.     

71 REPLIES
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 2 of 72

Well said sir!

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 3 of 72

Out of curiosity, why are you looking for kudos?  Does that assist with the thread or what its trying to do somehow?

As for threads lockign down, is this sub-forum or even forum the right place for them--is it XfinityTV Website related, or even Xfinity TV related in general?  Perhaps that might be behind any thread closings?

Putting in a bunch of stuff about cord-cutting and all that into posts/threads about Super HD doesn't really seem to help much either as it only clutters up the topic--if it's really about Super HD then it would seem that's really what it should be about (and not about other stuff about cutting down on costs or whatnot, which isn't exactly relevant to Super HD).

And, by the way, it looks like someone just mentioned using Netflix's Super HD through their Comcast connection: http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-and-Equipment/X1-Settings-Remote-amp-Equipment/m-p/1691051#M7...

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 4 of 72

when I watch netflix I get it in full 1080p hd, what more do you want?

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 5 of 72

You can click here (from home ) since it checks your IP  to see if you have super hd https://signup.netflix.com/superhd

On my PS3 it often gets medium HD or high HD, and the playstation output is 1080p.

There is a settings on netflix that can lower the quality if you want to save on bandwith, if that is set to medium it gives you a lower quality level like medium SD instead.

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 6 of 72

When I click that link it says your provider is ready for super hd and its all big green letters.  So that must be why on my ps3 I get great 1080p output.   I set my netflix to best resolution and I have a very fast connection.  

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 7 of 72

rog286713 wrote:

When I click that link it says your provider is ready for super hd and its all big green letters.  So that must be why on my ps3 I get great 1080p output.   I set my netflix to best resolution and I have a very fast connection.  

Since it seems you have Comcast as your internet provider as well, and you have Netflix Super HD support, it would appear that Comcast now in fact supports what is being asked for in this thread.  Sounds like the issue has been solved, so to say.

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 8 of 72

C_DM wrote: ... it would appear that Comcast now in fact supports what is being asked for ...

Maybe in some markets. I'm in Central PA (17401). When I check the Netflix page, I get "Your Internet Provider is not configured for Super HD yet."

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 9 of 72

BruceW wrote:

C_DM wrote: ... it would appear that Comcast now in fact supports what is being asked for ...

Maybe in some markets. I'm in Central PA (17401). When I check the Netflix page, I get "Your Internet Provider is not configured for Super HD yet."

Its a negative for Portland OR too. "Your Internet Provider is not configured for Super HD yet."

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 10 of 72

BruceW wrote:

Certainly a possibility.  But it still makes it much less of a conspiracy of some sort or some huge disservice that the original post kind of makes it out to be (and as it was made out to be in other similar posts).

Posted by
Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 11 of 72

Netflix Super HD -A must

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 12 of 72

Nashville, TN here, Super HD is a no go with Comcast here.

Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Congratulations on earning 5 kudos! Your great contributions have been much appreciated by the community.

Message 13 of 72

"Your Internet Provider is not configured for Super HD yet."

Chicago here. This is the message that I get.

I want it too!!

Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Congratulations on earning 5 kudos! Your great contributions have been much appreciated by the community.

Message 14 of 72

Is there someone here at Comcast for us to contact regarding this?

Posted by
Visitor

Message 15 of 72

I'm in the Tri-State area (NJ) to be exact. I don't have access to SUPER HD either. Does anyone know the link for direct feeback to Comcast? 

UPDATE: Here is their feedback link   http://www.comcast.com/customers/feedback/default.cspx

Post your concern for Netflix's  Open Connect Content Delivery Network.

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 16 of 72

hmmmm....

here is part of the response that i received. i guess Comcast is flipping it back on Netflix.

"Thank you for contacting the Office of Tom Karinshak.  My name is XXXXX, and I will be more than happy to assist you today.  I understand that you would like information on a possible timeframe when the Netflix Open Connect Content Delivery Network might be adopted in the Chicago market.  You have reached the right person, and I am definitely going to address your concerns.

I have reached out to my leadership in an effort to provide you with the requested information. I have been advised that you would need to contact Netflix regarding your inquiry about the availability of this, as this would not be Comcast related.

If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact us by calling 1-800-XFINITY (934-6489) or by visitingwww.comcastsupport.com/chatentry to chat live with a representative. As a reminder, our technical support department is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, as part of our Comcast Customer Guarantee. Also, we are now offering self-help videos under the help tab on YouTube by visiting www.youtube.com/xfinity ."

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 17 of 72

Here in Washington State, there is no change in Super HD. It still says, "Your Internet Provider is not configured for Super HD yet." I’ve updated my original post at the top of this page with Netflix’s speed results for May…check them out.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 18 of 72

you are right but i like hbo and showtime and netflex, can't show them, so if you want to watch game of thrones or dexter you they got you.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 19 of 72

also comcast spends lots of cash lobbing certain dishonist polititions, so they will not make a law saying you must use one speed and not charge more for so called faster internet, and any one that wants to compete can't because comcast owns or controlls, the cable lines and will not let the compeaters use them at a fair rate, it is simply legalized robbery, most of the time we want the goverment to stay out of our lifes, were are they when you need them, to keep the monster comcast inline, i could not work for anyone as dishonist as comcast.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 20 of 72

Moved: http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Removed-Posts/Re-WE-WANT-NETFLIX-SUPER-HD/m-p/1722801

post by getitright1st removed.

reason: Pointless and made up personal attack

Forum Guidelines

(which everyone should read before making his/her first post) state

Please Don't

Troll or spam

Trolls are individuals who start inflammatory threads or post rude or offensive messages for the purpose of disrupting a discussion or to upset other forum participants.

Insult (flame) other Community members

We ask all members to discuss issues and disagree with other posters without resorting to or responding with insults, whether they are blatantly offensive or subtle and indirect.  Responding to an insult with an insult makes a poster as guilty of flaming as the original poster. Flaming is the act of posting messages that are deliberately hostile and insulting. These types of posts are not allowed and can result in the immediate revocation of one’s forum posting privileges.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 21 of 72

Your Internet Provider is not configured for Super HD yet."

California here. This is the message that I get.

I want it too!!

Posted by
Visitor

Message 22 of 72

Go to this website :  http://www.comcast.com/customers/feedback/default.cspx

This will get direct feedback right to comcast and hopefully enough of us demand it. 

Posted by
Visitor
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 23 of 72

Just outside of Chicago here and no SuperHD. The SuperHD is also required for allowing us access to the 3D content that Netflix provides.

I'm not sure why Comcast is dragging their feet on this matter.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 24 of 72

Just checked for the Seattle market and it's not available... I sent them feedback via the link provided above!

I love Netflix and I hope that Comcast gets on board with this quickly, I hate the games we have to play to get stuff like this... no wonder people pirate content, it's far easier than playing the content providers games.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 25 of 72

There is still no change here in Washington State. It still says, "Your Internet Provider is not configured for Super HD yet." I’ve updated my original post at the top of this page with Netflix’s speed results for June…check them out.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 26 of 72

I'm in Jacksonville Florida and this area is not set up either.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 27 of 72

sean: My Issue: When will Comcast opt in for Netflix's Open Connect Content Delivery Network?

analyst Debbie has entered room

Debbie: Hello sean, Thank you for contacting Comcast Live Chat Support. My name is Debbie. Please give me one moment to review your information.

Debbie: I hope you haven't waited so long to be assisted.

Debbie: I understand that your concern is about Netflix. Can you provide details so that I can better assist you?

sean: Netflix has set up a service to allow users to stream super hd and 3d content. The ISP however must opt into this service. I want to know when Comcast will be doing this. And if they don't plan to why?

Debbie: In questions regarding Netflix, I will connect you to our Sales Department as they are more updated when it comes to better options that you can sign up for.

sean: ok

Debbie: Thank you.

Debbie: Please stay connected to the chat for the next available representative. Thank you for choosing Comcast for your entertainment needs.

Debbie: Please wait, while the problem is escalated to another analyst

analyst Punzalan has entered room

analyst Debbie has left room

Punzalan: I see you are interested in adding Comcast services. It's my pleasure to process your order and answer any questions you may have throughout our conversation.

analyst Debbie has left room

Punzalan: Hello, Sean! How are you today?

Punzalan: May I have 2 -3 minutes to review your previous chat.

sean: Good. How are you?

sean: Sure

Punzalan: That is great! I am fine as well. Thank you for asking.

Punzalan: Thank you.

Punzalan: I can see here that you are inquiring about Netflix's here in Comcast we have that and we call it Streampix.

sean: That is not helpful at all.

Punzalan: You can add it on your account for $4.99 per month

sean: I am asking about a specific service that Comcast would have to opt into.

Punzalan: XFINITY Streampix allows customers to instantly watch movies and TV shows, including entire past seasons of hit TV shows and full series of recent hit TV shows. This deep library of movies and TV shows complements what is currently available on XFINITY TV and further creates a one-stop video solution for customers.

sean: I am not interested in Streampix. I want to know about Comcast opting into Netflix Open Connect so that i can stream 3d content from netflix.

Punzalan: Here in Comcast we have that as a Sreampix where you can Streammovies online, Sean.

sean: you are not answering my question.

Punzalan: I am sorry for the confusion, what am I trying to say is the equivalent of Netlix is Streampix. And to answer your question we cannot have that.

sean: If Comcast doesn't support the services I want then why should I continue to give Comcast my money?

sean: Why can't we have that?

Punzalan: Because we have a Streampix for streaming videos Sean.

sean: Why can't you have both?

sean: ?

Punzalan: Comcast is doing its best to be able to give you the best services that you need. We are still on the process of having that added on our services as of this time.

sean: So Comcast has plans to opt into Netflix Open Connect?

sean: ?

Punzalan: You will receive an email confirmation/notification in case it is available.

sean: So Comcast doesn't plan to opt in?

sean: This is making me question if I should remain a comcast customer. I think I will start shopping around for another ISP since comcast doesn't value me as a customer.

Punzalan: We haven't receive any updates in regards with that, Sean.

Punzalan: As soon as we receive the updates you will receive an email about it.

Punzalan: I hope I was able to clarify everything for you. Before we end today, is there anything else that I can assist you with?

sean: You clarified that comcast doesn't value its customers enough to give them the services they want.

Punzalan: I certainly apologize that we were unable to have your order today. I do appreciate the time you took to contact us and your patience .

Punzalan: If you need assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to chat with us (available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week). Comcast also offers great FAQ and Help forums located at http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/ to help you solve many issues on your own.

sean: I think i will avoid that at all costs. I would rather spend my time finding a company that cares about its customers to give my money to.

Punzalan: I do apologized Sean, As much as I want to have that on your account we don't have any updates with that.

Punzalan: Is there anything else I can assist you with?

sean: Know of a good ISP?

sean: I'll take that as a no.

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 28 of 72
Received another response from Comcast with a "no" and a recommendation to try Streampix, their rather anemic (in terms of what i want to see) entry into the streaming market.

Anyone have another plan of action regarding this?

Might complaints lodged through the BBB, even in terms of their "nuisance factor" do any good?

Comcast's action/inaction is now affecting my Netflix dollar--is that at least complaint-worthy?

(...wondering if this post will still be here when I get home from work...)
Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 29 of 72

No super HD here in SE Michigan,,  Smiley Sad

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 30 of 72

Thanks to all of you who periodically update this conversation. We need to keep this subject on page 1 of the Xfinity TV posts.

There is still no change here in Washington State. It still says, "Your Internet Provider is not configured for Super HD yet." I’ve updated my original post at the top of this page with Netflix’s speed results for July…check them out.

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 31 of 72

I wonder if it is the requirement to sign up for the Netflix Open Connect network or the peering sites listed for the Open Connect network?

https://signup.netflix.com/openconnect

But Seattle was listed as a peering location so why is Washington State not ready? I don't have a clue on that one.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 32 of 72
Comcast is not part of that peering network. It's one location. Google Seattle Internet Exchange. That's the ip address for the peering network.
|----------------------------------------------------|
I am a simple customer, my posts are my own experiences and opinions.
Current Starter Double Play Customer with Blast Pro Upgrade.
Posted by
Contributor

Message 33 of 72

"Your Internet Provider is not configured for Super HD yet."

Memphis, TN. Smiley Sad

I saw Nashville in the responses as a negative as well so I bet all of Comcast in TN is corrupt.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 34 of 72

There is still no change here in Washington State. We are not configured for Super HD yet. Thanks to all who keep this post current. I’ve updated my original post at the top with Netflix’s speed results for August…check them out.

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 35 of 72

This is priceless. Typical routine of transferring to another department, run around and not getting answers. I was sent to Maintenance Dept. once, have been hung up on and not happy with Comcast.

Interesting thread.

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 36 of 72

This post was moved to a secure location because it violates the forum guidelines (language filter circumvention). http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Forum-Guidelines/Posting-Guidelines/td-p/866289

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 37 of 72

So Performance starter is still through Comcast? How many channels do you get, and is there a way to access Netflix to view shows you missed? Can I get just the basic details of what this is, what it costs, and how to change over to it? Does the 49.95 include both television (more than one room) and internet?

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 38 of 72

So Performance starter is still through Comcast? [Yes] How many channels do you get [Too many to name but you need a streaming box like the Roku or Apple TV and now Chromecast has the lastest of the streaming devices], and is there a way to access Netflix to view shows you missed? [If you have Netflix now, it's the same thing: they have past episodes of shows they carry but they don't carry all shows and they don't get the current episodes - you would have to wait for those.] Can I get just the basic details of what this is [I would do a google search on Roku and Chromecast - they will explain it better than I can], what it costs [Chromecast is the newest device and costs $35. The Roku and Apple TV devices are more expensive with Roku having the most channels], and how to change over to it [If I were you, I would purchase one of these devices and try it out without changing anything with your Comcast service. If you like what you get, just cancel everything and switch to Performance Starter] ? Does the 49.95 include both television (more than one room) and internet [$49.95 covers both television and internet but you will need to buy a separate streaming device for each room.]?

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 39 of 72

Hey, what do you know, Netflix Super HD is now available to everyone: http://blog.netflix.com/2013/09/highest-quality-hd-now-available-to-all.html

So, it seems that Netflix was in fact able to decide who can or can't get it, unrelated to ISPs or anything like that.

Sounds like we can close this thread finally.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 40 of 72

I really hope to see comcast offer this feature. We stream netflex alot in our home and it would be nice to see a more high definition experiance. We pay extra for the Blast! service to get as much as we can for our internet connnection.  I am going to strongly consider another ISP that offers HD streaming if Comcast does at least tell us when this is coming. 

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 41 of 72

tonyfe wrote:

I really hope to see comcast offer this feature. We stream netflex alot in our home and it would be nice to see a more high definition experiance. We pay extra for the Blast! service to get as much as we can for our internet connnection.  I am going to strongly consider another ISP that offers HD streaming if Comcast does at least tell us when this is coming. 

If you read the post above yours it says Netflix now has super HD for all. And you can stream HD with comcast on sevral other content providers.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 42 of 72

ObiHai Adapter +  Google Voice account = Free phone over the internet.  

Pro:  $40 to buy, one time fee.  FREE.    Google Voicemail, in TXT, Email, or Website.

Con:   Limited "local" phone numbers, and porting options.  $ to change it.

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 43 of 72

Well, for that to happen, Comcast have to Join the Netflix "open connection network".

I feel your pain. But it's not our choice. Our only choice is not to have comcast as an ISP, or to continue as we are.

Whay would comcast Join Netflix open connection anyways?

They obviously do not want to do that because then the comcast on demand movies would look terrible. (Compared to Netflix)

If you do not like comcast, drop them and get a new provider.

Comcast is number 8 in speed ranking anyway. Not as blazingly fast as they claim.

or...Move to Austin and get Google fiber!! The future of internet.

Another piece of advice, do not waste your money on high end tv's, like 4k and so on.

They are as good as the poor signal that they are fed with. Comcast 720p looks terrible on a good tv. The 1080 looks much better, but is so compressed.

If you want quality, Blu ray is the only answer. Then 4k content from your computer to the tv, if the tv supports 4k.

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 44 of 72

While I was watching an episode of a tv show that I had missed on abc.com I noticed a banner that stated " Starting January 6th, you must sign in with a participating TV service provider account to view the most recent episode of your favorite ABC shows." We are forced to watch payed advertisements on abc.com. One would think that would satisfy their greed. If the networks do this I assume that streaming with Roku or anyone else will no longer be possible.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 45 of 72
ABC/Disney has a long term contract with Netflix, so the presumption is inaccurate.
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 46 of 72

Netflix’s December speed results are in. Comcast now falls well below average in the US and 2nd from the bottom internationally. Out of the 17 ISPs that Netflix tracks in the US, Comcast has dropped to 4th from the bottom. Of 9 counties surveyed, Comcast’s average speed is slower than the all countries except Mexico. Check out the rankings… 

http://ispspeedindex.netflix.com/

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 47 of 72
Depends on the app, and speed. I have blast in an upgraded area. Roku is okay, the 2000 series won't get hd, can't handle pseudo html5 with adaptive bit rate streaming. The 3000 series roku is okay, but using moca (multimedia over coax, host receives Netflix via Ethernet), get super hd even during prime time. It can get a little sketchy, but usually running a server test in the tivos, then exiting and renting, brings the adaptive stream rate up. Running a test (the TiVo app has 4 Netflix servers to choose from, AND the info button shows the stream rate), when it's getting finicky, I notice ine of the servers are slower to connect. If you run the test a few times, can speed them all up. Then start at 720hd, takes about a minute or two to get up to 1080 super hd (tv info says 1080p/24). Some boxes and apps are better than others, but delivering Netflix over coax vs. streaming from wifi has its advantages.
Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 48 of 72

you sound alittle defensive my man...why

Posted by
Visitor

Message 49 of 72
Why are you trying to try to confuse the conversation that was so much help? Must be a Comcast big wig trying to keep us from knowing!! I have ROKU already so on Monday Comcast i want Performance Starter...my just received bill is $190 with NO extra anythings!!!!!!!
Posted by
Visitor

Message 50 of 72
Lol good question rog...would be enough for me !!!!