Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Video cannot play

New Poster

Video cannot play

I am watching Merlin Season 2 and suddenly could not play the video. It is coming up with an error 422. Please help.

New Poster

Re: Video cannot play

Ditto here was watching "Arrow" then it stopped can't get any video to work now at all.

Problem Solver

Can I ask which browser both of you are using? And what are your operating systems?

New Poster

I too can not play videos on xfinity tv I keep getting error 517. Help!

martyreece1128

Problem Solver

422 Error Code is caused in one way or another by misconfigured system files in your windows operating system.

Advanced Computer User Solution (manual restore):

1) Start your computer and log on as an administrator.

2) Click the Start button then select All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, and then click System Restore.

3) In the new window, select "Restore my computer to an earlier time" option and then click Next.

4) Select the most recent system restore point from the "On this list, click a restore point" list, and then click Next.

5) Click Next on the confirmation window.

6) Restarts the computer when the restoration is finished.

I have read some reports of this being caused by upgrading to Windows 8.1 not all reports include this info. If you have recently upgraded to Windows 8.1, I do not believe a restore point will help.

This fix of error 422 is only recommended for advanced computer users. IF YOU FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE IN ANY WAY DO NOT DO THIS.

Error 517 has the same information and solution. Error 517 indicates misconfigured system files and in SOME cases is associated with a blackberry.

THIS IS AN EXCELLENT OPTION IF YOU HAVE BEEN HAVING PROBLEMS FOR ONLY A SHORT PERIOD OF TIME.

Windows 8 & 8.1 instructions. Type restore point on the start screen. Click on create a restore point. Click on System Restore. Click next, then Check show more restore points. Single click on a restore point then Click on Scan for Affected Programs. The changes shown are usually just updates but try to keep changes to a minimum. Some programs allow you to open them and check for updates after completing a restore point.If affected programs are to a minimum Click next.

Problem Solver

Hi Guys,

If the above post does not work, or you feel uncomfortable with it, I have the next two steps planned ahead. A third step is possible based on the results of step two.

I asked you two questions which no one has answered. Instructions are different for different operating systems. It is also helpful to know which browser you are using.

If I can invest my time in planning ahead do you think you can answer two questions?

New Poster

Re: Video cannot play.

Yes  the probale is on the tv, is says no video signal.

I think I need it is my TV.  I was watching my DVR last night have was thur the so it stopped playing

and the NO VIDEO SIGNAL came on the TV, no sound or picture  help help.

Problem Solver

barbarahebert68 wrote:

Yes  the probale is on the tv, is says no video signal.

I think I need it is my TV.  I was watching my DVR last night have was thur the so it stopped playing

and the NO VIDEO SIGNAL came on the TV, no sound or picture  help help.

This thread (a series of posts) is about xfinity online (watching tv with your computer). If you are having trouble with your cable service call 1-800-934-6489   THANK YOU  you can also use online chat to contact Comcast.

To use online CHAT click on SUPPORT at the top of this page. On the next page at the bottom right click on CONTACT US..On the next page at the bottom left click on CHAT WITH AN AGENT.

The best things about using chat are they do not put you on hold and you do not have to press a button to hear a recording that tells you to press another button.

**************************************************************************************************************
 I thought of one easy thing to try. First turn off the power to both your TV and Cable Box. Next UNPLUG the cable box wait one minute. Then plug the Cable box back in. Wait another minute and turn on the box and TV.  If this works your service will be normal. The channel guide will return to normal in 25 minutes.

***************************************************************************************************************

I HOPE I HAVE BEEN ABLE TO HELP YOU.

Problem Solver

This post is for Windows 8.1 users with Xfinity Online TV Error Messages.

I hope there only a few of you. Let's try everything else first before we consider doing a "REFRESH".

A refresh can be done two ways. One will set your computer back to FACTORY SETTINGS.  This means you will lose all files, all added software, all added browsers and your computer will be returned to Windows 8    

The other way you can keep your personal files and passwords. You will lose all added software and browsers, also returned to Windows 8

If you have purchased software online or have a recovery back up disk all of this can be reinstalled. You will need your user names and passwords for your software, most recovery disks even require license and password info.

I have been thru this process myself. Careful preparation can make the process easier. After doing this I was advised by Microsoft Support to reinstall Windows 8.1 before reinstalling my antivirus. This procedure made an incredible difference.

I just wanted you to consider this if we have tried everything else without a positive result.

Clearly the Windows 8.1 users with Error 422 problems may be the most difficult to repair.

Frequent Visitor

Hello,

I am using Mavericks Operating system on my iMac computer, everything was working fine until about 2 weeks ago.

Problem Solver

KLSP4449 wrote:

Hello,

I am using Mavericks Operating system on my iMac computer, everything was working fine until about 2 weeks ago.

Thank You for the info. I have no experience with Apple computers.  Have you ever used the Apple

Support Communities question line?  If you are willing to try post details, Are you getting error codes, does your screen freeze or display a blank screen. If you are willing to try use the link below. If you do not find help there come back to this post and I will research your problem further. If you do find a solution please come back and post your solution here, you may help other Mac users now and in the future.

https://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa

Frequent Visitor

Hello Again,

I get a black screen that says video is loading, but thats all it ever does, no codes just the black screen.

Problem Solver

KLSP4449 wrote:

Hello Again,

I get a black screen that says video is loading, but thats all it ever does, no codes just the black screen.

I am sorry if I was confusing. I was asking you to post your details to the APPLE SUPPORT COMMUNITIES QUESTION LINE. The more info you give them the easier it is  for them to help you.

After trying that, then come back here and post the solution if they find one. If they do not find one let me know and then I will try to help you . Currently I am working on the next two solutions I want to suggest for Microsoft Windows users. I can not offer a suggestion until I try it myself so I am familiar with follow up questions. 

It will be difficult for me to test solutions for you because my computer runs Windows. If your system ran Windows I would suggest using a restore point because your problems started two weeks ago. Restore Points are pretty standard stuff in Windows. I think but am not certain that APPLE calls their Restore Point system TIME MACHINE.

Problem Solver

Re: Video cannot play - Solution Two, part one for Windows 7 & Vista only. dadgren

THIS IS FOR WINDOWS 7 & VISTA USERS ONLY.

Microsoft has an automated solutions site that repairs Windows 7 & Vista Problems. This link is for video problems.

I can not run these solutions on my computer because I have Windows 8.1 and this site states "We are sorry, but your operating system is not supported by Microsoft Fix It at this time".  Windows 8 users will get the same message.

Here is the link. On the web page click on Run now.

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/video_freezes_or_crashes/

After running the program click on one of the two light blue links on the web page. This will take you to the Microsoft Fix It MAIN PAGE. Bookmark this page because there are a total of 27 other repair options.

I tried to use my old Windows XP on this site. After clicking on Run now my computer stated can not run program, do you want to download this file to run? I clicked OK. After it downloaded I double clicked on the file to open it. My computer stated can not open this file and showed some ads for programs to open the file. I did not want to go any further because this files were not offered by Microsoft and felt sure they were not free.

I CAN NOT RECOMMEND WINDOWS XP USERS TRY THIS SITE.

THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED IN MY POSTS ARE MINE AND MINE ALONE, I OFFER NO PROMISES OR GUARANTEES.

I am using this post as my personal data storage area.

This link is for Windows 7 restore point information.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/system-restore

Problem Solver

Re: Video cannot play - Is your Internet Explorer 11 not functioning ? dadgren

Sorry for the delay. Today my Internet Explorer 11 stopped functioning, it took me a while to figure out why. If this happens to you type WINDOWS UPDATE on your start screen, select it in the search results. Then Click on INSTALLED UPDATES in the lower left corner. If you see KB2919355 single Click on it to highlight then Click uninstall. After the uninstall is finished restart your computer and Internet Explorer 11 will work again. If you have your computer set to automatically install updates Microsoft may install KB2919355 again. Microsoft is slowly becoming aware or this problem.

This is one of the reasons I have three browsers installed on my computer. What good is a computer without a working browser? If you do not have an extra browser or two here are two links to download free browsers. Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95346?hl=en

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/

I have read a lot of the ERROR message posts and many of you think the problem is with the Xfinity online TV site. Lets try a little experiment. Try all 3 of your browsers to watch Xfinity then try all 3 of your browsers to watch Crackle a free movie site. NOTE you do not need to download the Crackle App. Here is a link to Crackle.

http://www.crackle.com/c/movies

If all 3 browsers play Crackle but not Xfinity then the problem is Xfinity. I have always found Mozilla Firefox to be the most reliable for Xfinity, Internet Explorer a close second and Google Chrome the least reliable. FEEL FREE TO POST THE RESULTS OF YOUR TEST BE SURE TO INCLUDE YOUR OPERATING SYSTEM. 

In my research I found that if you own a SURFACE also known as a Windows RT 8.1 with Internet Explorer 11 you are completely out of luck. This unit does not support streaming videos.

Last you might have asked yourself how MISCONFIGURED SYSTEM FILES occur? That is very much like the KB2919355 download corrupting my Internet Explorer 11.

FEEL FREE TO POST QUESTIONS, INCLUDE YOUR OPERATING SYSTEM AND BROWSERS.

I have sent some questions to some qualified friends. I will post more as it is available.

Problem Solver

I have one report of during the commercial an orange bar appearing on the left side of the screen then the video jumping from one video to the next to the next rapidly and so on. Anyone else seeing this?  From the Xfinity home page Click on top videos.

Problem Solver

is it wise to tell people to uninstall  update 2919355?

per KB2919355, 

"Important  All future security and nonsecurity updates for Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8.1, and Windows Server 2012 R2 require this update to be installed. We recommend that you install this update on your Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8.1, or Windows Server 2012 R2-based computer in order to receive continued future updates."

its safer to refer them to the KB article.  

the KB article discusses some  "Issues that occur after you install this update"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2919355/EN-US

Problem Solver

Yes, I agree the update should be installed. No one has replied to this thread for quite a while, but I admit uninstalling can be a mistake, In most cases if anyone simply uninstalls an update it will be automatically be reinstalled by Windows Update. The only way I know to truly keep it from being reinstalled is to uninstalled an update, run Windows Update right click on the update and HIDE the update instead of installing it.

Uninstalling an update does not perminately remove the update only HIDING the update does that.

New Poster

Chrome was the issue on our Mac. Went to Firefox and it is working. Thanks.
Problem Solver

Glad I helped someone. Thanks for your reply.

New Poster

Did anyone figure out what to do with macs? I am on safari not firefox and I do not want to download a new browser. I have been watching tv on nexflix and other website hooked up to my xfinity account (abc/abcfamily). They have all been working fine. I think it is a problem with my xfinity 

New Poster

I called comcast  waited for 25 minutes and was cut off  receiving error 422 on both of my computers ...macs.  Mom watching tv as she is home on hospice and I don't wanna risk making her tv not work ...  I mean really....

glad i have amazon prime and netflix to turn to ....what a bust

Regular Contributor

Merry_Demko_698:

Like Dadgren who's posted the most frequently in this thread, I don't have a lot of experience with OsX but some of the suggestions that I would give to people on Windows are somewhat valid for OsX as well:

You can try going directly to the networks own website and try and watch from there; 98% of people who have problems on the Xfinity site have no problems watching from the networks own site.

I understand not wanted to have to download another web browser but honestly in some cases that has proved to be the solution, for example see this thread http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-Website/Watching-xfinity-tv-shows-on-my-computer/td-p/2313363 where my suggestion of trying a different web browser worked and is marked as the solution. If it turns out to not be the solution you can always uninstall the second browser.

- Norm

New Poster

I havee hadd this problem since i installed my cable last month. I have called comcast once a wweeek for aassistance aand nothing. in fact last week i was told this has only been aa prpoblem ffor a month now, and theen I find this page and discover more comcaddt lies.I also do not understaandd why i am having these problesm since I got a brand new laptop same timee as cable installation so I know wwverything iss up to date. Is there a way thaat as a whole we just boycottt ccomaacast for its deceptive practices. No of youss would ccome to a restautrant if we treateed you in this manner.

New Poster

Im using a Mac running Yosemite 10.2 and WAS watching xfinity just fine. Safari was running fine just two days ago and now wont load program without stopping and giving me Error Code 422. I tried updating Firefox and Adobe Flash player and switching to a different browser but nothing worked so far. please help

New Poster

Went to Crackle and all content played fine ... Xfinity still showing 422 error.