Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Using IPad as a remote using Xfinity app stopped working

New Poster

Using IPad as a remote using Xfinity app stopped working

I get an error message that says an "error occured during this request". How do I fix this? I already uninstalled and reinstalled the app

Tags (1)
Official Employee

Re: Using IPad as a remote using Xfinity app stopped working

Ljcno3 wrote:

I get an error message that says an "error occured during this request". How do I fix this? I already uninstalled and reinstalled the app

What are you trying to watch on the app that is giving you this message?

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Frequent Visitor

We have the same trouble. About a week ago I discovered that I could change the channel from my iPad, and then also from my laptop. How great! This worked for 5 days and now it doesn't work. The iPad makes the sound that it did before, but the channel doesn't change.

Official Employee

judyzzz wrote:

We have the same trouble. About a week ago I discovered that I could change the channel from my iPad, and then also from my laptop. How great! This worked for 5 days and now it doesn't work. The iPad makes the sound that it did before, but the channel doesn't change.

Have you tried deleting and re-installing the app?

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Frequent Visitor

Thanks, I'll try that, though it wouldn't do anything for the fact that I can't change channels on my laptop

anymore, would it?

I tried to change on my laptop just now, just to be sure. Instead of it just changing to the selected channel as before, I had a message "Now playing on TV1." I have no idea what that even means!

Thank you. This is not a big deal, but we liked being able to use our devices as remotes.

Frequent Visitor

Update: App reinstalled, still unable to change channel.

Official Employee

judyzzz wrote:

Update: App reinstalled, still unable to change channel.

Thank you.

Our team is further looking into your issue. I will update you when I learn more.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Frequent Visitor

Someone from Comcast phoned about the problem around 4 PM MDT. I tried changing channels via the iPad and it worked. I'm really impressed with Comcast and thank you very, very much!

New Poster

what did they do / tell you to do... i have the same problem and its still not working...?

New Poster

I just got the answer, don't turn off your cable box... it appaently takes at least 6 hours for the cable box to obtain full networking capability and cannot be synced/controlled by network remotes...(ie- the app won't work) If you turned off the box, turn in back on and wait. Apparently, comcast is working on the issue since it should clearly not take that long for the box to connect

Frequent Visitor

In response to your question of what did they tell me to do when they called, they just told me to check to see if it worked and it did. I'd reinstalled the app in the AM but that didn't do anything. So I'm sorry that I can't give you a magic solution! I hope that it starts working for you. It's not really a big deal, but it's pretty handy.

New Poster

Was using my ipad app when it stopped changing channels. It still makes the sound but nothing happens. I have tried deleting and reinstalling the app as well as power cycling the cable box with no result. I also tried creating a secondard login to use with the app but no effect.

Frequent Visitor

I have the exact problem.  It was working fine before this week.  Also, I have now installed IOS 6.1. Please advise us!

Thank you!

Official Employee

Madtoe1 wrote:

I have the exact problem.  It was working fine before this week.  Also, I have now installed IOS 6.1. Please advise us!

Thank you!

Do you have multiple boxes? If so, are all of them not working? 

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Frequent Visitor

It is working now.  Yes I have multipłe Dígital boxes, but we have one Digital Set-top box in our familiy room. Why?

New Poster

We are having same issue using either iPhone or iPad ; used to work on both boxes, now only works on one.
Message is Request error
Unknown error occurred please try again
Or Sorry an error occurred during request
Official Employee

Lfl22 wrote:
We are having same issue using either iPhone or iPad ; used to work on both boxes, now only works on one.
Message is Request error
Unknown error occurred please try again
Or Sorry an error occurred during request

What is the name of the cable box that does not work? Go here to see the name of your box or to name/rename the box:

http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/mytv/cable-boxes

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
New Poster

The box that doesn't work is TV bar which is RNG110.
Official Employee

Lfl22 wrote:
The box that doesn't work is TV bar which is RNG110.

Try unplugging your box for a minute or so and then plug it back in.

I suggest you do this before you leave the house or before you go to bed. It takes some time for the grid to fully load and for the cable box to fully sync back up again.

After you have done this, please try again and let me know the results.\

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Frequent Visitor

New Poster

Unplugged and reconnected the box for a few minutes , left for several hours. When we returned the error was not occurring, but still not controlling the box.  After another hour or we are able to control ok using iPad or iPhone .  Total time a bit over five hours from power reset.

thanks for your help!

Regular Visitor

Xfinity Remote app for iPad has stopped working. I get channel listings but cannot select channel ("Sorry! An error occurred during this request.") The correct number of TVs appear in the list appears. I can see and delete recordings in the My Recordings list.
Same results on two different TVs/cable boxes.
Running iOS 6.1.3
Uninstalled iPad Xfinity app and downloaded and installed anew. Same outcomes, no change.
Frequent Visitor

Try calling Comcast and ask them to refresh each cable box.  Then wait several hours before trying the Xfinity app.

Regular Visitor

Called Comcast. No one seemed to know what refreshing each box meant.

Tried turning all boxes off for quite a while. Uninstalled app. Downloaded new copy and reinstalled. No change--same problem.

It was nice while it lasted but it is pretty clear Comcast can't/won't support it. I will keep it on my iPad to remind me never to get too dependent on Comcast and wait for the next trial offer from the competition.
New Poster

Having a similar issue, same error message. Except app Has not worked since being installed. Has only been about 30 minutes.
New Poster

I am having the same issue on my Iphone and my computer. I have called and been told that this was being escalated uo to a higher level tech and that i would be contacted. I have called the last three days i was advised to delete the app and reinstall, didnt work, i was then told to sign out and sign back in, didnt work and then i was told to power cycle the box down , didnt work. so what now???

Ljcno3 wrote:

Frequent Visitor

Call Comcast and ask them to Refresh your DVR box from their end. It may need to update the firmware.

Leigh-Anne

Regular Visitor

I now have the problem with the app. I've tried all of the above and the tech said they're working on it. Have any of you gotten it resolved? What needed to be done?
Frequent Visitor

I have the same problem except the odd thing is I can change channels from my iPad and iPhone apps, but it simply will not record.  Gives and error message saying "an unknown error has occurred during this request (guideworks: -56).  I've chatted on line with a rep for almost an hour trying to fix it.  We tried all the steps mentioned here.  I've done them all till I'm blue in the face.  She also told me she was bumping it to a higher level and I would be contacted.  Never happens.  I really liked being able to record something if I forgot when I'm out and it used to work fine, but not anymore.  I give up.  Comcast evidently cannot fix it and I don't know why the continue to issue the App.

New Poster

Forgive the plagiarism, but my experience matches yours, so I repeat:

I have the same problem except the odd thing is I can change channels from my iPad and iPhone apps, but it simply will not record.  Gives and error message saying "an unknown error has occurred during this request (guideworks: -56).  I've chatted on line with a rep for almost an hour trying to fix it.  We tried all the steps mentioned here.  I've done them all till I'm blue in the face.  She also told me she was bumping it to a higher level and I would be contacted.  Never happens.  I really liked being able to record something if I forgot when I'm out and it used to work fine, but not anymore.  I give up.  Comcast evidently cannot fix it and I don't know why the continue to issue the App.

Frequent Visitor

Well nice to know we are not alone.  I just don't know why they can't fix it.  I hope they occasionally read these forums.

Frequent Visitor

Great news.  I just installed the latest software update on my iPad (came in over a week ago but I always hold off in case they are disasters).  Now my remote works.  I just scheduled a recording from the iPad to my living room DVR and sure enough, it worked and no error message.  So make sure you have the latest updates installed on your iPad and it might work for you too.

New Poster

I have IOS 8.1.2, AND just removed and reinstalled TV Remote AGAIN.  Still getting guidepost 56 error.  YOU must have experienced a miracle!

New Poster

TV remote app stopped working on my and my wife's I-pad, this sure is a handy app, miss it. We have one HD DVR box.
Any suggestions?
Frequent Visitor

The only thing that finally worked for me was making sure my iPad had all the latest updates installed and then deleting and reinstalling the TVRemote App from Xfinity.