Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

5,806,675

members

49

online now

1,952,665

discussions

Top

Upgrading Online Video Player

New Poster

Upgrading Online Video Player

For the past month I've been unable to view movies online. I keep getting a message to upgrade my Xfinity player.  But you guys don't give a link or instructions to do that.  Do I wave my hand over my monitor to make it happen? 

Tags (1)
Official Employee

Re: Upgrading Online Video Player


DRipsky wrote:

For the past month I've been unable to view movies online. I keep getting a message to upgrade my Xfinity player.  But you guys don't give a link or instructions to do that.  Do I wave my hand over my monitor to make it happen? 


Completely uninstall Silverlight from your computer. Then download and install Silverlight from the link below:

 

Windows users 

 

Follow all the on-screen instructions and then try playing videos again. Let me know the results.

 

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe




Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
New Poster

Re: Upgrading Online Video Player

Thanks for the quick response.  I will try this during the weekend and will get back to you.

 

 

Regular Visitor

Re: Upgrading Online Video Player

I haven't used my online viewer for several weeks and when I returned I keep getting a message that I must upgrade my Microsoft Silverlight. When I do it won't install because it says there is already a 64 bit Silverlight installed on my computer. I tried uninstalling Silverlight and then reinstalling it but the exact same messages appear. This appears to be a Catch 22--no matter what I do , it won't work. I don't understand as it worked flawlessly before an upgrade was necessary.

Official Employee

Re: Upgrading Online Video Player


jmlison wrote:

I haven't used my online viewer for several weeks and when I returned I keep getting a message that I must upgrade my Microsoft Silverlight. When I do it won't install because it says there is already a 64 bit Silverlight installed on my computer. I tried uninstalling Silverlight and then reinstalling it but the exact same messages appear. This appears to be a Catch 22--no matter what I do , it won't work. I don't understand as it worked flawlessly before an upgrade was necessary.


Have you tried reinstalling Silverlight from the link I posted above in this thread?

 

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe




Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Regular Visitor

Re: Upgrading Online Video Player

yes and after redoing , I got the same message "you need the Silver light upgrade"  I'll try the whole process all over again and let you know

New Poster

Re: Upgrading Online Video Player

I have the same problem. All of the system requirements are met, and I have uninstalled silverlight and re-installed, but I still get the upgrade message. Same thing happened with my netflix online video and I can't find a reliable solution to this problem anywhere.

Official Employee

Re: Upgrading Online Video Player


sroper1219 wrote:

I have the same problem. All of the system requirements are met, and I have uninstalled silverlight and re-installed, but I still get the upgrade message. Same thing happened with my netflix online video and I can't find a reliable solution to this problem anywhere.


Have you tried reinstalling Silverlight from the link I posted above in this thread?

 

Also, what version of Silverlight do you have installed on your computer?

 

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe




Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Regular Visitor

Re: Upgrading Online Video Player

I don't have the problem with either Netfliz or Amazon Prime, just Comcast which also blocks TNT videos. I have standard TV but get TNT when I watch TV. Do I need to purchase a suscription to watch the same thing on my computer (not a phone or tablet but my computer which has a TV receiver in it) 

Official Employee

Re: Upgrading Online Video Player


jmlison wrote:

I don't have the problem with either Netfliz or Amazon Prime, just Comcast which also blocks TNT videos. I have standard TV but get TNT when I watch TV. Do I need to purchase a suscription to watch the same thing on my computer (not a phone or tablet but my computer which has a TV receiver in it) 


Please go to www.xfinitytv.com/computer and copy the information you see on-screen and paste it in this thread so we can further assist you.

 

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe




Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Regular Visitor

Re: Upgrading Online Video Player

My Device Information My Zip Code: Unknown My Cable Provider: Unknown My myDVR Manager Status: Unknown My Set Top Box Names: Unknown My Queue setup: False Facebook Queue Syncing: False Facebook Connect: Not Installed My public IP address: 76.101.123.254 My operating system: Windows - Undefined My web browser: Chrome 21 - Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.1 (KHTML, Like Gecko) Chrome/21.0.1180.75 Safari/537.1 My system type: Desktop Computer Or Other Device My Move player version: Not Installed My Silverlight version: 5.1.10516.0 My flash version: 11.3 R31 Javascript: Enabled Cookies: Enabled Time Information My Clock Time: Mon Aug 13 2012 15:49:40 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time) Server Clock Time: Mon Aug 13 2012 15:52:33 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

Official Employee

Re: Upgrading Online Video Player


jmlison wrote:

My Device Information My Zip Code: Unknown My Cable Provider: Unknown My myDVR Manager Status: Unknown My Set Top Box Names: Unknown My Queue setup: False Facebook Queue Syncing: False Facebook Connect: Not Installed My public IP address: 76.101.123.254 My operating system: Windows - Undefined My web browser: Chrome 21 - Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.1 (KHTML, Like Gecko) Chrome/21.0.1180.75 Safari/537.1 My system type: Desktop Computer Or Other Device My Move player version: Not Installed My Silverlight version: 5.1.10516.0 My flash version: 11.3 R31 Javascript: Enabled Cookies: Enabled Time Information My Clock Time: Mon Aug 13 2012 15:49:40 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time) Server Clock Time: Mon Aug 13 2012 15:52:33 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)


Try using a different web browser (IE9, Firefox, Safari) and let me know if it works. This is not a permanent solution but it will help us narrow down your issue.

 

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe




Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Regular Visitor

Re: Upgrading Online Video Player

I've tried using IE and no difference. This was not an issue last Spring before I went away. It's only recently become an issue. I've been using Chrome consistently for several years. I just watched the most recent Longmire so apparantly something is different by downloading from your link. I did try to access The Closer on TNT and am told I need a suscription which ,of course , I never have before. My cable TV is thru my homeowners association but my Comcast internet service was hooked up by your technicians.

New Poster

Re: Upgrading Online Video Player

Hi Joe,

  Thanks for the prompt reply. I did uninstall silverlight and re-install using the link you provided. The version I'm running is: 5.1.10516.0, Please advise.

New Poster

Re: Upgrading Online Video Player

Xfinity Video Player Upgrade

Upgrade your Xfinity Player!

In order to watch On Demand Online videos with "HD-Like" picture quality, you need to install the new Xfinity Player

We're sorry, but for watching On Demand Online videos the following browsers are NOT officially supported at this time:

  • Windows XP: Safari 3/4
  • Windows Vista:  IE 6, Safari 3/4
  • Windows 7:  IE 6/7, Safari 3/4
  • Mac OS 10.4.11+:  IE 6/7/8, Chrome 4

Got this error message trying to play a program...

 

Running Win7, using IE9 64bit version 9.0.8112.16421. Just used the link you gave to re-install Silverlight and no joy. Got the above message again.

Microsoft Silverlight Version: 5.1.10516.0 is what installed..

 

Any ideas?

Official Employee

Re: Upgrading Online Video Player


jmlison wrote:

I've tried using IE and no difference. This was not an issue last Spring before I went away. It's only recently become an issue. I've been using Chrome consistently for several years. I just watched the most recent Longmire so apparantly something is different by downloading from your link. I did try to access The Closer on TNT and am told I need a suscription which ,of course , I never have before. My cable TV is thru my homeowners association but my Comcast internet service was hooked up by your technicians.


Is TNT working on your TV and On Demand?

 

sroper1219 & KNELSO: Please go to www.xfinitytv.com/computer and copy the information you see on-screen and paste it in this thread so we can further assist you.

 

Also, please send the URLs of the videos that you are trying to watch.

 

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe




Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
New Poster

Re: Upgrading Online Video Player

My Device Information My Zip Code: 48092 My Cable Provider: Comcast St Clair Shores CableCard My myDVR Manager Status: Not Installed My Set Top Box Names: Not Installed My Queue setup: False Facebook Queue Syncing: false Facebook Connect: False My public IP address: 68.43.11.44 My operating system: Windows - rv:14.0 My web browser: Firefox 14 - Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:14.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/14.0.1 My system type: Desktop computer or other device My Move player version: Not Installed My Silverlight version: 5.1.10516.0 My flash version: 11.3 r300 Javascript: enabled Cookies: enabled Time Information My Clock Time: Tue Aug 14 2012 20:28:37 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time) Server Clock Time: Tue Aug 14 2012 20:28:50 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
My Account Information Primary Account: True Provider Codes: a Internet Subscriber: True Cable TV Subscriber: False Voice Subscriber: False http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/tv/The-Daily-Show-With-Jon-Stewart/89142/2267068675/The-Daily-Show-8-13...  on IE http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/tv/Army-Wives/95875/2265882408/The-War-At-Home/videos also.. Both kick out the error in IE9, but play just fine in Firefox, apparently.  Which is really funny because I stopped using Firefox because I was having similar issues with it a few months ago.
Regular Visitor

Re: Upgrading Online Video Player

I receive TNT fine on my TV

Regular Visitor

Re: Upgrading Online Video Player

I just retried TNT"s the Closer on another computer, also running Chrome  and got the same response, namely that a suscription was required. However I also tried it's successor series, called "Major Crimes" and it started playing like any other show except for the fact that only the top left 1/4 played and the player would not expand to full screen. Bizarre!

Official Employee

Re: Upgrading Online Video Player


KNELSO wrote:
My Device Information My Zip Code: 48092 My Cable Provider: Comcast St Clair Shores CableCard My myDVR Manager Status: Not Installed My Set Top Box Names: Not Installed My Queue setup: False Facebook Queue Syncing: false Facebook Connect: False My public IP address: 68.43.11.44 My operating system: Windows - rv:14.0 My web browser: Firefox 14 - Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:14.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/14.0.1 My system type: Desktop computer or other device My Move player version: Not Installed My Silverlight version: 5.1.10516.0
http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/tv/The-Daily-Show-With-Jon-Stewart/89142/2267068675/The-Daily-Show-8-13...  on IE http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/tv/Army-Wives/95875/2265882408/The-War-At-Home/videos also.. Both kick out the error in IE9, but play just fine in Firefox, apparently.  Which is really funny because I stopped using Firefox because I was having similar issues with it a few months ago.

KNELSO and Are you using IE9 64-bit? If so, update your Windows 7 with service pack 1.

 

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe




Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
New Poster

Re: Upgrading Online Video Player

Have Win7 Home Premium SP1 installed, and yes, using 64bit IE9. Firefox is 14.0.1, the latest release (just checked and it said it was up to date).

 

Non "HD-like" videos play fine in IE, won't play in Firefox, and the opposite is true for the "HD-like", based on my experiments last night.

Official Employee

Re: Upgrading Online Video Player


KNELSO wrote:

Have Win7 Home Premium SP1 installed, and yes, using 64bit IE9. Firefox is 14.0.1, the latest release (just checked and it said it was up to date).

 

Non "HD-like" videos play fine in IE, won't play in Firefox, and the opposite is true for the "HD-like", based on my experiments last night.


Can you try IE9 32-bit and see if videos are working?

 

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe




Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 1173 views
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation