Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Unable to watch Orphan Black online

Frequent Visitor

Unable to watch Orphan Black online

For the past week I've been unable to watch any Orphan Black episodes online.  The problem started with the episode: Mingling Its Own Nature With It.  When I hit the first commercial break it would not go any further than that.  Whenever I tried to replay the episode it would take me to the commercial screen.  Sometimes a commercial would play and then nothing and other times it would sit there like a commercial was about to play but nothing would happen.  Now, I've tried to play other Orphan Black episodes and it takes me straight to the commercial screen and nothing happens.  HELP!!!

Frequent Visitor

Re: Unable to watch Orphan Black online

Oh yeah, I'm on IE 11 and was able to watch the show online 2 weeks ago with no issues.  The issue started 4 May 2014.

Frequent Visitor

Why?  Why.  In.  THE.  Heck.....is it soooooooo difficult to watch this show WITH commercials???!!!  I have been trying to rewatch Ipsa Scientia Potestas Est for the last two days now and cannot get past the first commercial break.  Perhaps there are just certain windows of time that the show magically plays with no issues....

Frequent Visitor

Yep, I'm having the same problem. I can watch Orphan Black through OnDemand on my TV without any problems. I successfully watched S2 E01 through OnDemand Online and then started watching S2 E02 but at the 40-minute point I got this message that said that I needed a subscription to watch BBC America. It's part of my digital package. I can watch other BBC America programs, but suddenly Orphan Black is the show that cannot be watched. I even tried watching the season one Cloneversations and at the 35 minute mark it just kicks out to a commercial (like 3-4 of them) but can never resume the video. "Your video will resume shortly."   Nope. Never.

I called Comcast tech support and I was thoroughly unimpressed with the first two reps. I didn't realize that there are separate phone numbers for Comcast and Xfinity.  (Why isn't Xfinity simply a menu option on the Comcast line?) The first rep at Comcast tech support took me through the absolutely pointless troubleshooting steps as if I couldn't access the internet at all (after 3 very thorough explanations from me he NEVER understood my problem), and finally after catching a clue by me repeatedly telling him that I had done all these things twice already, he referred me to Xfinity tech support and the second rep was a doozy!

The second rep started giving me a line of b.s. like "well, just because you can watch BBC America on your TV doesn't mean that you can watch it online -- it requires an additional subscription" to which I responded "Oh, really? Since I can watch other shows on BBC America without any problem, you are saying that Orphan Black has it's own special subscription price? Which package is that?" Obviously, she was blowing smoke. The b.s. continued by her saying "well, BBC is currently updating videos so you should check back later" and when I asked her to tell me the date/time of this supposed memo she was reading, she couldn't and I called her out on the bogus excuse she was giving me to avoid dealing with my problem. She said "Well, you will have to call BBC America directly", and I said, "No, no I won't. BBC America doesn't want to hear from me and would laugh in my face, and I pay you $200 each month to take care of all this." She still insisted I would have to call BBC America and right before I asked to speak to her supervisor she disconnected the call.  DEAR COMCAST, I CAN WATCH ORPHAN BLACK ON AMAZON WITHOUT A PROBLEM AND YOUR TECH SUPPORT PERSON HANGS UP ON ME -- please tell me how that's an effective strategy in the playbook to retain customers?

Finally, the third rep really listened to me and understood the problem. She couldn't resolve it but she escalated it to some other department with a reference number. I'm sure that a week from now somebody from Comcast will call me at 9pm and tell me that everything has been fixed when it clearly has not been fixed.

Comcast has always had problems with OnDemand. It used to be such a joke in our house because we could watch the free movies through OnDemand (TV) without a single problem occurring but the moment we purchased a movie through OnDemand the movie would crash almost always at the 20-minute mark and could never be replayed correctly. We tried 5 different movies over a 3 years period, mostly to just confirm that it wouldn't work. Comcast tech support would refund our account the cost of the movies rather than try to fix the problem. Comcast, how much money are you making on pay movies through OnDemand?

I have been seriously considering canceling cable TV just to watch everything over the internet. DEAR COMCAST, if you don't want people like me to cancel cable TV, why haven't you made your services work perfectly? Clearly, Amazon can and does, and I don't pay Amazon anywhere near $200/month.

Frequent Visitor

Thank you so much!  I truly appreciate your response!  I shall fight the good fight! ......*whisper* to watch Orphan Black!

Frequent Visitor

I just got an automated message from Comcast that my problem in watching Orphan Black should be resolved. I just went to OnDemand Online and I can now watch Orphan Black.

While I am happy that the problem has been solved, why did it take 4 days to fix? Odd also that it gets resolved on Memorial Day.

Frequent Visitor

That's friggin awesome!  I'm sure you just called up BBC America and gave them all kinds of heck.  That's what did the trick!  Ha!  I'm sure the lovely woman who suggested that remedy had to deal with the time difference when she worked her magic with the Brits and that's where the 4 days comes in.  Smiley Wink

New Poster

I'm having this problem for the first time with the newest episode, season 2 episode 6. It's frustrating, and it seems to me like it has to do with one specific ad. Why the heck can't Comcast/Xfinity fix the stupid thing already?!? 

Frequent Visitor

Comcast LOVES showing you those ads over and over and over while you are waiting for your video to play. It's amazing that the commercials play without a single failure but the content you actually want to see? Naw, not so much.

I'm betting the advertisers have to pay Comcast on a per play basis which would be quite an incentive for these ... ahem ... irregularities to help Comcast earn some extra dough.

I am cynical because there seems to be NOBODY representing Comcast who reads and responds to these posts.

Security Expert

I also have an ATT U-verse account, I promise the ads are not just Comcast... and then there's TWC

TANSTAAFL!!

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

john9559 I was wondering the same thing!  Does anybody in Comcast follow up with issues that are brought on here?  Is this just a place where Comcast customers come to complain about an issue and/or describe the work arounds they themselves have found?

Regular Contributor

If you're serious about wanting this problem fixed, your best bet is to post in this thread http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-Website/Ad-Issue-during-Video-Playback-on-http-xfinitytv-comc... started specifically to deal with commercial issues. Read the first post and respond with the requested information.

Also see my reply to other people having problems with Orphan Black:http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-Website/BBC-America-Orphan-Black-Videos/td-p/2173708

- Norm

New Poster

I just filed a complaint with the California Attorney General's office.  Since Comcast has been non-responsive to fixing this problem for years, I would suggest you do the same with your state's attorney general.