Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Unable to change channels with xfinity tv app on ipad or ipod (Pace RNG100 STB)

ANSWERED
Frequent Visitor

Unable to change channels with xfinity tv app on ipad or ipod (Pace RNG100 STB)

My xfinity tv app worked fine with my Pace RNG110 until recently - the last app update, I believe - and now it doesn't work any more.  And by "work" I mean, no channel changing from the app.  Attempts to change channels just give me "Sorry! An error occured during this request." 

Additional info:

When I first updated the app (to the current version) on my iPad, I couldn't even get program listings.  I eventually figured out I could get those back by going to iPad Settings, selecting the xfinity tv app, and clearing data.  But still no channel changing.  I also intalled the app on a brand new ipod touch yesterday, and got program listings just fine right off the bat, but again, no channel changing.  On both the iPad and iPod, if I go to Settings within the app, the STB appears just fine.  If I select it, I get the opportunity to run a test, but that also gives me a similar generic error message ("An unknown error has occured during this request. Please try again."

One final note: from both my iPad and my (Windows) PC, I tried visiting http://xfinity.comcast.net/learn/internet/mobile-tv-app/ and clicking the "Profile Set-Up" at the top of the page, then "Change Channel from your PC" in the left-hand menu bar of the resulting dialog, but got nothing but a blank screen in the content area of the dialog. I had never tried that before so I don't know what was supposed to happen, but I expected something other than a blank screen.

Accepted Solution

Re: Unable to change channels with xfinity tv app on ipad or ipod (Pace RNG100 STB)

Tv control was enabled.  Show name did nothing, test on the remotehelp page kep giving me error 500 (STB NOT FOUNT).  But all was set as it should be.  Numerous chats with support folks, and a few phone calls, and I now have as good an answer as I guess I'm going to get: changing channels only works if your service includes On Demand, and mine does not.  Worked fine for several months anyhow, but the last technician I spoke with said it was never supposed to after I downgraded from digital service to basic, and theorized that it might have continued to work until I cleared app data after the msot recent app update.  Seems plausible, and is the only explanation that seems to make any sense at this point.

So now I'm looking into Streampix, as I wouldn't mind having adding an on demand service anyhow if I can do it without gong back to the full digitla package I cut down from last year.

Anyhow, thanks for the responses!

View answer in context
Frequent Visitor

Re: Unable to change channels with xfinity tv app on ipad or ipod (Pace RNG100 STB)

Additional additional info:

Power cycling the STB didn't help.

I found the Manage my device page and the box had "TV control" set off.  I thought this might be the key, turned it on, but no real improvment - apps still won't change channels, even after clearing data again.  The only change is that the screen I described as blank now shows four channels with watch now buttons - none of which do anything.

Silver Problem Solver

try clearning your cookies and cache, then restart the pad.   If that does not work go into the app under settings and clear the data in there.   then go back to the box settings and make sure tv control is set again.  IF none of this works you can delete the set up by going into the box menu and then to remote access set up and then delete

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the suggestions.  Unfortunately, nothing in the first part worked, which didn't surprise me, since as I mentioned this also affected a brand new iPod where there was no data to clear - I hadn't even opened the browser yet.

The last suggestion sounds intriguing but I don't understand it.  Which menu do you mean?  I tried the STB's own menu - as displayed on my TV - but didn't see anything about remote access.  The idea of deleting it and reinstalling does seem promising.

Frequent Visitor

Sorry to keep replying to my own thread but, yet more info:

As far as I can tell, the problem has nothing to do with the app, as I also cannot control the STB from the web interface either.  I had never used that before and didn't realize it even existed, but if I get to the place on this site where you can view program listings and try to change channels from there, a similar error occurs.  Also, I don't know what the "Show name on TV" button was supposed to do on the page where I can turn on or off "TV Control" for my STB, but pressing that button does nothing (I was imagining it might flash the name - "Living Room" - on my TV).

So it seems I just have a general problem with control of the STB?

Official Employee

MarcSabatella wrote:

Sorry to keep replying to my own thread but, yet more info:

As far as I can tell, the problem has nothing to do with the app, as I also cannot control the STB from the web interface either.  I had never used that before and didn't realize it even existed, but if I get to the place on this site where you can view program listings and try to change channels from there, a similar error occurs.  Also, I don't know what the "Show name on TV" button was supposed to do on the page where I can turn on or off "TV Control" for my STB, but pressing that button does nothing (I was imagining it might flash the name - "Living Room" - on my TV).

So it seems I just have a general problem with control of the STB?

Are you still having this issue? I am seeing that our team had tried to reach out to you and left a voicemail. Do you get those messages?

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Silver Problem Solver

when you press show name on tv it should display the name you have set for the cable box on that tv.   If you click the tv tab top of this page then the little wheel on the bottom right of the next page and go to manage dvr's and set top boxes what does it say for the box name and is tv control enabled.?

Frequent Visitor

Tv control was enabled.  Show name did nothing, test on the remotehelp page kep giving me error 500 (STB NOT FOUNT).  But all was set as it should be.  Numerous chats with support folks, and a few phone calls, and I now have as good an answer as I guess I'm going to get: changing channels only works if your service includes On Demand, and mine does not.  Worked fine for several months anyhow, but the last technician I spoke with said it was never supposed to after I downgraded from digital service to basic, and theorized that it might have continued to work until I cleared app data after the msot recent app update.  Seems plausible, and is the only explanation that seems to make any sense at this point.

So now I'm looking into Streampix, as I wouldn't mind having adding an on demand service anyhow if I can do it without gong back to the full digitla package I cut down from last year.

Anyhow, thanks for the responses!

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation