New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

UI complaint- mute button moving

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 1 of 4

This is a relatively small complaint, compared to some other recent topics on this forum, but as I've recently begun watching live TV on the tv.xfinity site and trying to mute the commercials, it's suddenly become very evident how annoying it is to do so. When you move your cursor to hover over the volume icon to click on it, it moves to open up the volume bar, and you might end up mistakenly clicking on that, because the button to mute is suddenly over to the left.

I propose that when you hover over the volume icon, it stays where it is, and the volume bar appears to the left of it. To keep it from changing too much, and make it clear that the bar that appears is still the volume bar, perhaps the mute button, while staying where it is, could change to the word "mute" when you hover, and the speaker icon could reappear to the left of the volume bar to keep that looking the same as it does now. Dragging the bar all the way down will still mute as well.

My rationale is that you have to move the mouse that tiny amount to adjust the sound anyway, so if you are using the player's built in volume control at all (rather than your PC's master volume, your speaker's physical knob, or another volume control), you have to make that tiny left-to-right adjustment no matter what. But to mute the player entirely is only a click, so it should not require as many moves as moving the mouse to bring up the controls at all (because you don't know exactly where to aim until they're there), then precisely hovering over a small icon, plus an additional movement to follow it when it moves away, then precisely hovering over the icon again to click on it. And if you miss, the volume control disappears and you have to repeat most or all of this process. Having it so you only have to hover over the icon once to mute makes it less repetetive and annoying if you do miss for any reason, and generally makes the option to mute many steps easier. I don't know how eager the xfinity people (or users) will be to make a change, but maybe it could be an added option somewhere to lock the mute button in place like I described, or to lock the volume bar into view entirely so that it always pops up when the player controls do, making it not require hovering so much to access any of those controls.

As someone who occasionally has fine motor control issues (arthritis, developing carpal tunnel, fun stuff like that), this actually seems to almost be an accessibility issue. I can't imagine what it must be like for people who have those issues more frequently, more severely, or both. 

Is anyone else annoyed by this? Anybody else have physical issues with it, even if they're "not major"?

Is this something xfinity might look into? 

3 REPLIES
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 2 of 4

batcatenderbat wrote:

This is a relatively small complaint, compared to some other recent topics on this forum, but as I've recently begun watching live TV on the tv.xfinity site and trying to mute the commercials, it's suddenly become very evident how annoying it is to do so. When you move your cursor to hover over the volume icon to click on it, it moves to open up the volume bar, and you might end up mistakenly clicking on that, because the button to mute is suddenly over to the left.

I propose that when you hover over the volume icon, it stays where it is, and the volume bar appears to the left of it. To keep it from changing too much, and make it clear that the bar that appears is still the volume bar, perhaps the mute button, while staying where it is, could change to the word "mute" when you hover, and the speaker icon could reappear to the left of the volume bar to keep that looking the same as it does now. Dragging the bar all the way down will still mute as well.

My rationale is that you have to move the mouse that tiny amount to adjust the sound anyway, so if you are using the player's built in volume control at all (rather than your PC's master volume, your speaker's physical knob, or another volume control), you have to make that tiny left-to-right adjustment no matter what. But to mute the player entirely is only a click, so it should not require as many moves as moving the mouse to bring up the controls at all (because you don't know exactly where to aim until they're there), then precisely hovering over a small icon, plus an additional movement to follow it when it moves away, then precisely hovering over the icon again to click on it. And if you miss, the volume control disappears and you have to repeat most or all of this process. Having it so you only have to hover over the icon once to mute makes it less repetetive and annoying if you do miss for any reason, and generally makes the option to mute many steps easier. I don't know how eager the xfinity people (or users) will be to make a change, but maybe it could be an added option somewhere to lock the mute button in place like I described, or to lock the volume bar into view entirely so that it always pops up when the player controls do, making it not require hovering so much to access any of those controls.

As someone who occasionally has fine motor control issues (arthritis, developing carpal tunnel, fun stuff like that), this actually seems to almost be an accessibility issue. I can't imagine what it must be like for people who have those issues more frequently, more severely, or both. 

Is anyone else annoyed by this? Anybody else have physical issues with it, even if they're "not major"?

Is this something xfinity might look into? 

Thanks for your feedback - much appreciated. We put a lot of work into making the Stream portal accessible for customers but, perhaps, not enough work to make everyone aware of the features that are there already.  To mute, simply tap the "m" key.  There are many other keyboard controls which I've included below. You can find these yourself in the lower right corner of the player under the "?" symbol.  Hope these help.

-ComcastDan

keyboard_shortcuts.jpg

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 3 of 4

That is actually very helpful to know, and I'm sure I'll use some of those commands occasionally from now on!

I still stand by my original suggestion though, for many reasons. One, which may be the most widely relateable, would be that often times I'll be leaning back, or resting in bed while the computer is on the desk, or I'll otherwise be situated away from the computer itself, but I'll be using my [wireless] mouse to comfortably control the "TV" at a distance (like using a remote) while the keyboard isn't within reach. Plus, I think users should be able to freely use either of the primary input methods to control the player however they need or want to, in any case.

Two, I feel that "there's an alternative way to access this tool" isn't necessarily a solution to the problem that the primary way of using that control is inconvenient or not-fully-accessible. Every way to use every service, and every tool to use that service, should be as comfortably accessible as it can be right off the bat, even if there's a roundabout way to make it work. People shouldn't have to resort to alternatives just to use the player properly; or to say it another way, accessibility shouldn't be a second thought or limited to a secondary option unless that's really the only way for it to work. Plus, making things more convenient helps a wide range of people anyways. Most of the time, accessibility isn't going to hurt the people who don't really need it, and may even yield unexpected benefits, but even accommodations that might seem small can make a big difference in the lives of the people who do need them! 😁

Overall I still feel like it's at least worth poking around about and seeing if maybe whoever on the comcast team handles accessibility and easy of use, specifically, might have some input. 

Posted by
Contributor

Message 4 of 4