Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

This Video Cannot Be Played (Error 5)

Frequent Visitor

This Video Cannot Be Played (Error 5)

Anyone else had this problem? I get this while attempting to watch recorded shows from a PC (Chrome, Firefox, or IE), both at home and away.  Just started on 10/3. I see the list of recordings, I click on the show, click watch, then I get this:Xfinity_TV_Error_1.pngXfinity_TV_Diagnostics_3.pngXfinity_TV_Diagnostics_2.pngXfinity_TV_Diagnostics_1.png

Contributor

Re: This Video Cannot Be Played (Error 5)

Yes, on and off for about a month. Usually a retry works. Something is pretty wrong on the tv.xfinity.com site -- there are reports from myself and others here and elsewhere of this error plus sudden capacity reductions that delete content. I have a Comcast guy who is providing some support on another forum, but ...

Keep posting and maybe they will get the software weenies to fix it. 

Frequent Visitor

It is weird, we got upgraded to Cloud DVR on 9/22.  We immediately started watching DVR'd shows daily on both PC and android.  It worked flawlessly untill 10/3, now doesnt work at all.

New Poster

I've been getting this message constantly for about a month: in the past, rebooting my computer could clear it but for the past couple of days even that hasn't helped.

Problem Solver

Received the Error 5 message tonight while attempting to watch Timeless on NBC while it was still recording.  This is the second time in the past 2 weeks that this has occurred on the same show. Once the recording is complete, the show will play back fine. I was attempting to watch on Chrome, but also tried the Edge browser with the same result. Comcast if you tell us we can watch in-progress recordings while at home, then make sure that should work.

Here is the Customer Service Diagnostics if Comcast even cares:

OS                         Windows 10
Build number
Browser                 Chrome 53.0.2785.143
Flash version         23.0.0.185
Status                    in home
Entitlements           tve-vod, est, clinear, cvod, tve-linear, cdvr
Last fingerprint      cloudtv_web_polymer_0_prod
Stream provider    primetime
Video ID               V8424285106059263622L100149341018020116
Media ID               comcast:dvr:schedule:V8424285106059263622L100149341018020116
Error code             5
Error description   Loading of the specified resource has failed
Error aux info         https://xtvapi.cloudtv.comcast.net/recording/V8424285106059263622L100149341018020116/stream.m3u8?rec...
Video Provider     1004 WSMVD
Video Sources:Video Object/Recording
Video Title            Atomic City

Not going to bother calling in about this. Will get someone who will want to send a signal to my cable box.  Has nothing to do with that.

Official Employee

Curious if anyone who is getting this error is able to successfully watch the same in-progress recording on an iOS or Android mobile device. That would help me determine if the issue is with the website or with the Cloud DVR recoding itself. Thank you in advance.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Problem Solver

ComcastDan wrote:

Curious if anyone who is getting this error is able to successfully watch the same in-progress recording on an iOS or Android mobile device. That would help me determine if the issue is with the website or with the Cloud DVR recoding itself. Thank you in advance.

I didn't try it on Android, but if it happens again I will attempt to play it on my Android device.

I'm not sure if the other posters are getting the Error 5 message when attempting to stream an in-progress recording or not. None of them actually were specific about what they were trying to do, and when they were trying.  The OP just mentioned watching "recorded" shows.

What exactly does the "Error 5" message mean? It isn't very descriptive.

New Poster

I am getting issues on my computer. My iPhone can play videos but ONLY if I am using the mobile network. On wifi it will not work.

New Poster

I get the same message when I go to stream some of my saved recordings via wifi at my local library.  My browser is Edge.  Has anyone contacted Comcast on this error message? 

Problem Solver

thalwax wrote:

I get the same message when I go to stream some of my saved recordings via wifi at my local library.  My browser is Edge.  Has anyone contacted Comcast on this error message? 

It could be the library is blocking the stream somehow. Streaming video uses a lot of bandwidth, and the library might not want that.