Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

This Video Cannot Be Played (Error 422)

Frequent Visitor

This Video Cannot Be Played (Error 422)

Lately, every program I start to watch works for about 10 minutes, then receives the error:

This Video Cannot Be Played
Sorry, <program> is currently unavailable. (Error 422)

Satisfaction, The Last Ship, 2 Broke Girls, The Big Bang Theory

I find it interesting that I have to go to usanetwork.com to watch Satisfaction and tntdrama.com to watch The Last Ship.  It makes me ask why I'm sending you any money at all - there is NO information on your site anywhere regarding this error or anything like it. If necessary, I can call your help desk, but I'll bet you my paycheck that I'll be told to (1) reboot cable equipment, (2) connect computer directly to cable modem (I have a Linksys router), (3) reboot the system, (4) uninstall and reinstall Firefox, (5) Try Internet Explorer 9 (6) Upgrade to IE 10 (7) check Windows Update for any new OS updates (8) run a virus scan and (9) reinstall Windows.

None of these will work, so the last suggestion will be that it's a hardware problem. Earthlink/Verizon is starting to look good.

Frequent Visitor

Re: This Video Cannot Be Played (Error 422)

Did some experimentation and found that it may be related to AdBlock, but in some sort of low-level sense.  I turned off AdBlock, but now I recieve a 624 error (can't give the text here, but it's similar).  It asked me to refresh and when I did, I received the old 422 error.  Now I watch videos with IE 10 and mute the ads using the mute slider in the system tray.  It's like watching ordinary TV now, but at least I can watch my programs.

Comcast, why don't you give some consideration to using a message along with obscure error codes?  We (your customers) don't know what a 422 or 624 is.  Would it be so hard to incorporate text along with the message (and something clear, not just "You can't play the video" - I think we've figured that out)  You wouldn't even have to worry about I18N issues, just display the error and people can do the translation themselves.  Heaven knows, "This video can't be played" is so informative.

Anyway, the solution (for me) was to go back to good old bug-ridden IE.  Why?  I have no idea.  Just have some security on your system like Norton, Malwarebytes, Spybot, etc.  I will scan now, but I am sure that IE will have a box of advertising cookies worthy of a Girl Scout troop.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 1 in conversation