Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

The "Upgrade your Xfinity Player" error message

New Poster

The "Upgrade your Xfinity Player" error message

If you have windows 64bit OS, this may quickly resolve this frustrating issue.

The problem:

Trying to play comcast online videos results in the following message.

"We're sorry, but for watching On Demand Online videos the following browsers are NOT officially supported at this time:

• Windows XP: Safari 3/4
  • Windows Vista:  IE 6, Safari 3/4
  • Windows 7:  IE 6/7, Safari 3/4
  • Mac OS 10.4.11+:  IE 6/7/8, Chrome 4 "

The frustration:

I have what should be compatable (IE9), there is no link to install a player, and I could not find anything about this message in any official comcast support page or problem faq, or any instructions for installing the player.  And searching through various posts, Comcast support never seems to reply with any clear guidance on the cause or solution other than to use a different browser.

For me the issue is that player does not work in some or all of the 64bit versions of IE (IE9 in my case), and I would think many other users would have a similar configuration.  Here is the first link I found that finally solved this problem for me:

http://208.74.204.149/t5/XfinityTV-Online-Help/quot-Upgrade-Xfinity-Player-quot-WHERE/td-p/1104819

As noted in the referenced thread, if you have the 64bit IE issue, launching the 32 bit version of IE may easily solve your problem.

After reading many of the other related threads, support follows their script to gather info (as they should), provides generic responses about possible causes (usually that something is blocking the player), and asks the user to uninstall/reinstall silverlight, log on and off, or clear caches.  In the end the thread just dies or they are told Comcast is working on the issue and to use an alternate browser.

So I wanted to share my findings on what appears to be such a common problem and extremely simple solution (and many thanks to user in the above thread for figuring it out).

If you have 64 bit Win 7 (and I think vista), you already should have both a 64 bit and 32 bit version of Internet Explorer installed, and links to both should be visible in the start menu.  If not, here are the default locations for each:

64 bit version:

"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"

32 bit version:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"

So if you have a 64 bit Windows OS, and you get this frustrating Upgrade your xfinity player message, try running the IE 32bit version before jumping through hoops.  Hopefully it solves the issue and saves you the frustration that many others have been experiencing with this ambiguous error message.

Hope this helps some of you!!!

Tags (1)
N/A

Re: The "Upgrade your Xfinity Player" error message

Thanks so much.  I didn't even realize I had IE 9 32 bit on my computer.  Launching it, I had to install Silverlight 32 bit, then everything worked.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation