Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Terrible quality WatchESPN and ESPN3

Regular Visitor

Terrible quality WatchESPN and ESPN3

I live in the Philadelphia area.   For the last month or so, WatchESPN and ESPN3 have been horrible quality, only one bar of video quality.  This happens even when I'm watching a replay at a time when internet traffic should be low, like late at night or very early in the morning.  I have a relatively new laptop with plenty of bandwidth, and I don't believe the problem is specific to my connection or my computer because I tried it at a friend's house on a different computer (the friend lives about a mile away) and the quality was similarly abysmal.

I contacted ESPN per their website instructions and the person told me they had no reports of poor quality with Comcast.  WatchESPN and ESPN3 are one of the main reasons I have Comcast TV and internet, so I would like to get this fixed ASAP.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Terrible quality WatchESPN and ESPN3

I have the same problem with ESPN all the time.   Now FNC is out completely.

New Poster

What's your Xfinity Internet Bandwidth? Mineis 50Mbps. My past experience told me that streaming ESPN3 on your computer is really uncertain. The quality sometime is good, sometime is bad. However, when I streaming ESPN3 through XBOX 360, the quality is always good. I guess the sole relationship between ESPN3 and XBOX 360 gives streaming priority to all XBOX 360 users, not other internet users.

Regular Visitor

I can download at around 2.5 megabytes/second so I guess that's 20Mbps?  I used to only have about half that bandwidth and rarely had streaming problems until about two monthsa ago, so I can't imagine it's a bandwidth problem. 

I don't have an Xbox so I've only tried streaming from the computer.  I've still had bandwidth problems in the middle of the night when presumably few people are watching, so I wouldnt have thought low priority would be a problem.

Regular Visitor

Three months later I'm having the same problems.  I've spoken to tech support and did a lengthy live chat and no one has had a solution.  The tech guy said he'd boost my signal but that didn't help.  As I duplicated the problem on a friend's computer who lives about 3/4ths of a mile away (i.e a different computer, different residence, different Xfinity subscription) I have to imagine the problem is at Comcast's end and must be affecting other people, but I haven't gotten any help.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation