New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

TV app cannot play

Frequent Visitor

TV app cannot play

Hi,

I have 2 problems with the TV app to launch any on demand TV shows or movie.  I have opened a case before and the solution is to set the DNS to 75.75.75.75.  It is true that it did solve the problem with that manual setting, however, most of the hotspot outside my home would not allow to change the DNS so basically it's almost un-usable unless I am at home which then I can just watch from TV instead of from my iphone or ipad via the app then.

So do we know if this issue has been looking into to have a real fix?

Second problem I have is that the app crash a lot on my iphone 4 when i just scroll the TV shows listing, but it is worse on my ipad2 that after i download the app to the ipad for latest version, as soon as I launch it, it crash and exit the app.  Even though i have reboot the ipad and there is no other application running at that time, so there are plenty of memory in the ipad, but it still crash.  Any suggestion of why this crash so much?

thank you.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: TV app cannot play

do you have the latest version of the app  for apple its 1.10.3.1205151, the latest apple ios its 5.1.1?

If not update if you do read on.

Clear cookies clear cache.   go to settings on the phone or pad and in there scroll to the app and turn on clear application data.

Now delete the app, restart the phone or pad.   Now download the app again.   Sign in. see if that works. make sure you are using the primary account holders credentials and your by a strong wifi signal.  

Make sure your pad or phone is not jailbroken, there is no way to tell what that does to the app. 

If none of that works it has to be something local to you.

Frequent Visitor

I didn't update my iOS to latest but the TV app on ipad/iphone used to work fine.  Nothing has changed and just all of a sudden now it keep crashing.  I will try the suggestion for clear cookies, cache, app data and delete app and re-install and see if that resolves the crashing issue.

The whole point for using the TV app mainly is when we are NOT at home, whether we are in starbucks or other hotspots outside.  But then not all the hotspots allow us to use 75.75.75.75 DNS settings as I have tried, and then won't have internet access at all when set it with comcast DNS in outside hotspot for some.  When I am at home wifi with comcast, then for sure 75.75.75.75 works like a charm and the TV app works perfectly that it is able to play the "play now" movies. 

some hotspots are fine with the comcast DNS settings but many are not.  So when it doesn't work, it just show the HBO header with the playtime of 0:00:00 and never move past to the actual movie and just stuck there.

thanks.

Silver Problem Solver

tha app is hit or miss with outside wirless hotspots.  i have never changed a dns setting to make the app work.  Comcast asks you to have the latest ios version when trying to troubleshoot errors. 

If your trying to watch hbo try using the hbogo app it works in wifi and 3-4g and is more stable than the comcast app.

Frequent Visitor

It was Comcast technical support told me to set 75.75.75.75 DNS settings to make it work when I had the playtime 0:00:00 issue.  All movies whether it's HBO, Starz, or just any TV shows...etc all have same problem to have 0:00:00 in many hotspots outside unless the hotspot allows the DNS changed to 75.75.75.75, then it will work.  But most hotspots won't allow the change settings so no luck. 

And this issue apparently doesnt' only happen to me as from the forum, there are many people with same issue and seemed they were told the same solution to set to 75.75.75.75 as well.  So it is a well known issue and wonder if Comcast will work on a real fix so that will really make this app truly useful when we are outside the home to use it.

thanks.

Silver Problem Solver

you're changing the dns on your modem at home that does not carry over to wireless hotspots.  Why they tell you to do that I don't know, I have never done it and it works for me all the time inside my home and outside even using xfinity hotspots.  Since its not a problem is seems everyone is having I don't see why they are going to work on it, my opinion of course.  There is something else going on that has to be the cause.  Are you in a SA or Cisco market by any chance?

This is what comcast says about that DNS address.

Comcast's DNSSEC Deployment Is Complete

All Comcast customers have automatically migrated to our DNSSEC validating servers. If for some reason you have manually configured your DNS IP addresses, we recommend you switch back to receiving them via DHCP and then release/renew your DHCP lease. If for some reason you wish to manually configuring your DNS servers, you may use the IPv4 addresses 75.75.75.75 and 75.75.76.76, and IPv6 addresses 2001:558:FEED::1 and 2001:558:FEED::2.

Frequent Visitor

Hi,

Not changing on the modem at home.  Comcast tech support told me to simply change on my ipad/iphone under wifi setting for the ssid i am on, and put in 75.75.75.75 in the DNS entry there.  Then the TV app works perfect to see "play now" movies or tv shows that will get thru the 0:00:00 and shows the actual length of the show timer.  So only manually adding the entry on the end device itself, not at the modem/router level that those are simply dhcp.

It seems there are some hotspots that it just works without putting 75.75.75.75 at all such as my wifi at work that it works fine.  But then some hotspot doesnt' work and when I put the entry, then the total internet access does not work, not just the app, as soon as i remove the 75 in the DNS, then internet access works again, but then of coz the TV app doesn't in those hotspots.

In my home that of coz is comcast, strangely and believe it or not, it does not work unless I put 75 to my iphone/ipad, then it works fine with the manual entry in it.  That was quite unexpected since it is comcast network at home.  But that was when I opened the case with tech support and that's when I got that suggestion to put in 75.

There are other threads in this forum that other users says the same problem and tech support told them the exact same thing to add the entry to their device according to their posts.

Online access via desktop/laptop at home was totally fine and didn't need to change the DNS on the laptop at all and I asked the tech support why, they said the online viewing was different than the TV app so it doesn't need to do that for using it with laptop online to see on demand movies.

Certainly not everybody has the same problem, but then certainly i am not the only one having this problem from other users in the forum posts.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation