Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

TV Listings Do Not Remember Location / Zip Code

Frequent Visitor

TV Listings Do Not Remember Location / Zip Code

Within the last few days the TV Listings no longer remember the location / zip code entered and one has to reset it for every visit.  This used to work OK, or at least better than currently.  Occasionally the zip code had to be reset.  Now it is ever visit.  I have tried this in 3 browsers, Firefox, IE and Chrome.  All produce the same result. I am not deleting cookies so that is not the issue.  I have rebooted and that makes not difference so methinks the issue is on your end.  Where is the location / zipcode stored locally?

Thanks, in advance, for your assistance.

Tags (1)
Silver Problem Solver

Re: TV Listings Do Not Remember Location / Zip Code

Hello,

If you have done a little search in the forum before post your question you would have found out that this has been already answered. You can give this a try and see if it works.

1. Login to xfinitytv website

2. On the bottom of the page under the xfinity tv column you will see settings.

3. Click on that and make your revision on the zip code options and follow the remaining steps and it should work.

Frequent Visitor

I did search around and the topics addressed issues with accessing other content on comcast.net.

I do not wish to login to the xfinity site. I have never had to do before to have the location remembered correctly for TV listings and  I do not wish to do so now.  All I use is the TV listings.

Frequent Visitor

More data on the subject.

1.  Logged in to xfinity TV, asked it to remember my login.  Based on my account info the correct TV lineup for my zipcode was displayed.  That's the good news.

2.  I closed Firefox, restarted it and went back to the Xfinity TV guide page, which displayed a message that it was unable to reload the content.  I had to login again and then content was correctly displayed.  So user interaction is required with every new visit to get the correct location info loaded.  As I mentioned previously, I have never had to login to have the zip code / location information remembered.   Perhaps a coincidence but not likely.  See # 3.

3.  The Xfinity TV Guide displays correctly on my laptop, running the same version of FF.  My location / zipcode is remembered.

Methinks something is still broken.  Would still be nice to know where the zip code / location info is being stored on my laptop as it works.  Any guidance is appreciated.

Frequent Visitor

Yet more data.  In addition to what I mentioned above I have done as "resad" mentioned.  Going to the Xfinity TV settings and changing the zip code only works for that session.  It is just like changing the Location at the top of the TV Listings.  Exiting the browser and returning ot Xfinity TV listings brings you right back to the default Philadelphia zip code of Comcast.  Looking further in the browser I find that there is a cookie left by comcast.net called "rh".  Low and behold, it is my zip code, not the Philadelphia one.  To verify this I changed the zip code using the settings mechanism on the web page and the cookie value changes. However, the cookie is set to expire at the end of the session vs. a later date like 2 years in the future so when you exit the browser and re-enter the TV listings the cookie is gone and the default zip code in Philadelphia is used. Not so good.  Web page appears to be broken.

New Poster

Default grid with tv listings for 19103 when I start a new session with IE9.

I continue to receive the default grid with tv listings for 19103.  I am unable to save my location. 

When I start a new session with IE9 I continue to receive the default grid 19103.

Could you please recommend a solution?

Thank You!

jeff

Tags (1)
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Default grid with tv listings for 19103 when I start a new session with IE9.

Hello,

Give this a try

When you login to the xfinitytv website go to the bottom of the page and you will see a link setting under the xfinity tv. Click on that and it will bring you to a new page with a bunch of settings. Click on the zip code box and make your change there and follow the instruction.

You will also have to be sign in to the xfinitytv website for the zip code be set to yours if not it will give you the default zip code and you will have to change it.

New Poster

TV listings grid keeps going to default. Help!

No matter how many times I save my local TV grid, after logging in, the TV programming reverts to the default 19103 grid. How to make it permanent?

Official Employee

burtp wrote:

Yet more data.  In addition to what I mentioned above I have done as "resad" mentioned.  Going to the Xfinity TV settings and changing the zip code only works for that session.  It is just like changing the Location at the top of the TV Listings.  Exiting the browser and returning ot Xfinity TV listings brings you right back to the default Philadelphia zip code of Comcast.  Looking further in the browser I find that there is a cookie left by comcast.net called "rh".  Low and behold, it is my zip code, not the Philadelphia one.  To verify this I changed the zip code using the settings mechanism on the web page and the cookie value changes. However, the cookie is set to expire at the end of the session vs. a later date like 2 years in the future so when you exit the browser and re-enter the TV listings the cookie is gone and the default zip code in Philadelphia is used. Not so good.  Web page appears to be broken.

Do you have cookies set to where they automatically delete upon exiting your browser?

Try using a different web browser and let me know if it works. This is not a permanent solution but it will help us narrow down your issue.

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Frequent Visitor

As I mentioned in my description of the problem:

1.  The issue occurs regardless of browsers

2.  None of the browsers are set to delete cookies on exit

3.  I specifically deleted all Comcast.net cookies and revisited the TV listings page.  When I entered the correct zipcode data a cookie name "rh" was created by the web page.

4.  I looked at the contents of the cookie and it contained the correct zip code, but when the cookie was created by you folks it was set to expire at the end of the sesssion. It should be set to expire at a future date, at least several months away.  The expiration date for a cookie is set by the creator, which is Comcast.

5. Since things were workig correctly on my laptop, I verified that all browser settings were the same between the systems.  Then I looked at the "rh" cookie on that system and it was not set to expire at the end of the session but set to expire in August 2012.  I expect that if  you do not correct the issue that system will experience the problem starting sometime in August as well..

6.  All you folks have to do to remedy this problem is to set the expiration date on the "rh" cookie to a date in the future vs. what you currently do, which is expire at the end of the session (when you close the browser).

7.  I developed and managed software projects for 30 years so have some experience in debugging problems. I think I have provided you a detailed an analsys and remedy as is possible.  Please try this yourself and I suspect it will be easy to verify and fix. I don't know how much clearer I can be.

8.  For the time being, I have worked around the problem by downloading a Firefox addon (Cookies Manager+)  that allows me to change the expiration date of a cookie.  I have set the expiration date on the "rh" cookie for Comcast.net to a date in 2013 and everything is working fine, which confirms my analysis above.

9.  Please fix the problem so others with less technical skill are not impacted by this bug.

Thank you.

Valued Contributor

I have the same problem as ( Burtp and i share his feeling ) I have HP Elitebook 8530W running XPPRO SP3 and ie8 and no problems til last week or so.

XFINITY TV Listing zip 46383 doesn't save....stay at zip 19103....i deleted cookies and cache,and reload TV Listing and type 46383 for location and saved and reload and it's still 19103. below are in the cookies folder after deleted them and reload TV Listing and they are the same.!!. 

comcast.net
doubleclick.net
scorecardresearch.com
xfinitytv.comcast.net

FXF0WLTM.txt
ss_cookie
0_XlmPUcJe94YvGUnCz1s0euPVOJlE8Te2yFcv-ck8cHJx30iqcGEaU3zaGkilIueX
comcast.net/
p
comcast.net/
prefs
adt_zip="46383"&a_g="4354cf501c1df6b38f07-c5a98824c1f332bb799047838c64abb569134321"
comcast.net/
s_dfa
comcastctvprod
comcast.net/
OAX
Q6JepFAWqaoADrm+
comcast.net/
s_lastVisit
6%2F2012
comcast.net/
s_vi
[CS]v1|280B54D705010315-6000010EC0082161[CE]
comcast.net/

547DYH0B.txt
test_cookie
CheckForPermission
doubleclick.net/

XTZAETYJ.txt
UID
203b97b7-23.67.60.129-1343662507
scorecardresearch.com/
UIDR
scorecardresearch.com/

B3GSG2NS.txt
pm[sess_r]

xfinity.comcast.net/
pm[t][homepage]
home10
xfinity.comcast.net/
__utma
xfinity.comcast.net/
__utmb
xfinity.comcast.net/
__utmz
116157903.1343663712.1.1.utmcsr=(direct)|utmccn=(direct)|utmcmd=(none)
xfinity.comcast.net/

Frequent Visitor

@jcr:  Yes, you are seeing exactly what I am.  The "rh" cookie is only created when you change the zip code / location from the default.  Currently it only exists for the lifetime of the session so to see it you need to look at cookies for comcast.net after you have changed the zipcode but before exiting the page or browser, otherwise the session is over and the cookie is gone.  I haven't looked for a tool to help edit the cookie expiration for IE cookies but I'm sure there is one if you Google around a bit.  This really should be a 5 minute fix for Comcast.  Less time that it takes to respond to our emails.  Maybe they will fix it soon.  As you and I both mentioned, this all worked great until last week.  Good luck.

Official Employee

burtp wrote:

@jcr:  Yes, you are seeing exactly what I am.  The "rh" cookie is only created when you change the zip code / location from the default.  Currently it only exists for the lifetime of the session so to see it you need to look at cookies for comcast.net after you have changed the zipcode but before exiting the page or browser, otherwise the session is over and the cookie is gone.  I haven't looked for a tool to help edit the cookie expiration for IE cookies but I'm sure there is one if you Google around a bit.  This really should be a 5 minute fix for Comcast.  Less time that it takes to respond to our emails.  Maybe they will fix it soon.  As you and I both mentioned, this all worked great until last week.  Good luck.

burtp: I am sorry but I misread one of your older posts. I thought I read that you didn't want to be signed in and even when you were signed in, your zip code was not saving.

After re-reading through your posts, I realized that you said it works logged in but not when you are logged out. You must be signed it for your listings to load correctly. Since they are appearing when you are logged in then they are working correctly.

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Valued Contributor

SettingsAccount and Household Settings
Account: Update your email, location, password and other personal information here.

Update Account Location: Your zip code is currently set to auto<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Update Location Parental Controls: Control the content that minors in your family can watch

online. Note that only Primary Account users can set up and control Parental Controls. For

more Parental information, visit our Parental Resource Center.
Manage Parental Controls

Yes i try both way.. on the desktop i click tv listing icon  zip 19103 i change it 46383 and save it  close it out and reopen and it back to zip 19103....Burtp know what's gone on then i do...my problem is the same as his.

Official Employee

jcr46383 wrote:

Yes i try both way.. on the desktop i click tv listing icon  zip 19103 i change it 46383 and save it  close it out and reopen and it back to zip 19103....Burtp know what's gone on then i do...my problem is the same as his.

Are you signed in when you are changing your zip code?

Try signing in then changing your zip code here by clicking the "Update Location" button:

http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/mytv/settings

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Frequent Visitor

ComcastJoe wrote:

burtp wrote:

burtp: I am sorry but I misread one of your older posts. I thought I read that you didn't want to be signed in and even when you were signed in, your zip code was not saving.

After re-reading through your posts, I realized that you said it works logged in but not when you are logged out. You must be signed it for your listings to load correctly. Since they are appearing when you are logged in then they are working correctly.

jcr46383: Are you logged in when on the listings page?

Thanks,
Joe

@ComcastJoe:  I do NOT want to be logged in to have the TV listings work correctly.  I never have had to in the past and I do NOT wish to do so now.   The listings arre most definitely NOT working correctly as evidenced by the fact that on my laptop I do not have to log in and the zipcode is saved and the correct listings are displayed.  The problem is exactly as I have described.  Comcast has changed the web page code and when the "rh" cookie is created it is set to expire at the end of the session vs. a date in the future.  If you want me to prove this to you I will send  you a screen shot of the cookie data from Firefox.  It is as clear as clear can be. Have you tried to duplicate the problem based on the steps I have provided?

I have worked around the problem by editing the "rh" cookie to have an expiration date in the future, just as it used to be.  Now when I exit the browser and return to the TV listings (without logging in) the zipcode is preserved, as it was until last week, the TV listings code sees the cookie, reads the zipcode and displays the correct listings for the zipcode and timezone. 30  years of software development tells me that the web page code takes a different path when you are logged in.  I suspect the code goes something like this:

if (user logged in) then get zip code info from their account database entry and display TV listings for that zip

else  /* User not logged in */

if ("rh" cookie exists locally) then get zip code from locally stored "rh" cooke and display TV listings for that zip

else display TV listings for the default zip code

end if

I stand by my observation that the code is broken and I suspect the same is true for jcr46383 and other users.

Official Employee

burtp wrote:
@ComcastJoe:  I do NOT want to be logged in to have the TV listings work correctly.  I never have had to in the past and I do NOT wish to do so now.   The listings arre most definitely NOT working correctly as evidenced by the fact that on my laptop I do not have to log in and the zipcode is saved and the correct listings are displayed.  The problem is exactly as I have described.  Comcast has changed the web page code and when the "rh" cookie is created it is set to expire at the end of the session vs. a date in the future.  If you want me to prove this to you I will send  you a screen shot of the cookie data from Firefox.  It is as clear as clear can be. Have you tried to duplicate the problem based on the steps I have provided?

I have worked around the problem by editing the "rh" cookie to have an expiration date in the future, just as it used to be.  Now when I exit the browser and return to the TV listings (without logging in) the zipcode is preserved, as it was until last week, the TV listings code sees the cookie, reads the zipcode and displays the correct listings for the zipcode and timezone. 30  years of software development tells me that the web page code takes a different path when you are logged in.  I suspect the code goes something like this:

if (user logged in) then get zip code info from their account database entry and display TV listings for that zip

if ("rh" cookie exists locally) then get zip code from locally stored "rh" cooke and display TV listings for that zip

end if

I stand by my observation that the code is broken and I suspect the same is true for jcr46383 and other users.

It was changed about a month ago where the cookie will expire if you are not logged into the site. We have done this because we want to better personalize the customer's experience on XFINITYTV.com.

I am sorry that you do not like this feature and your feedback will be taken into consideration for a future release.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Frequent Visitor

ComcastJoe wrote:

burtp wrote:

end if

It was changed about a month ago where the cookie will expire if you are not logged into the site. We have done this because we want to better personalize the customer's experience on XFINITYTV.com.

I am sorry that you do not like this feature and your feedback will be taken into consideration for a future release.

Thanks,
Joe

@ComcastJoe:  Thanks for being honest about it.  You're right that I am not pleased with the change, nor the fact that it was not announced to paying customers, but such is life.  I really don't want Comcast collecting more information about me to "personalize my experience" by displaying more ads that I never wished to receive, but it's your business decision.   Thanks for your time.

Valued Contributor

hi ComcastJoe went i signin i get ( Setting... Account and  and Household Settings) i deleted Ch listing ( Update Account Location: Your zip code is currently set to auto) this is done by copy&paste.     Choose Your Service Area

First, let's make sure we have your channel lineup.
DAC: 150_237
Zip Code:Auto
We could not find any service providers for that ZIP Code. Please try a different 5-digit U.S.Postal Code.

Verify your selected service area based on the channel lineup to the right.

Service Area:
  • Comcast Recommended Lineup
Channel lineup:
deleted ch
Does the channel lineup above seem incorrect?
Change your channel lineup
SaveCancel

X

Official Employee

jcr46383 wrote:

hi ComcastJoe went i signin i get ( Setting... Account and  and Household Settings) i deleted Ch listing ( Update Account Location: Your zip code is currently set to auto) this is done by copy&paste.     Choose Your Service Area

Zip Code:Auto
We could not find any service providers for that ZIP Code. Please try a different 5-digit U.S.Postal Code.

Verify your selected service area based on the channel lineup to the right.

Service Area:
Channel lineup:
deleted ch
Does the channel lineup above seem incorrect?
Change your channel lineup
SaveCancel

X

Are you are getting a "We could not find any service providers for that ZIP Code. Please try a different 5-digit U.S. Postal Code." error message? 46383 is working for me and I am being shown other options besides Auto like Valparaiso and Portage.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Valued Contributor

How this if i did a zip search that's went that error would showup. tv listing is ok so i deleted it....Thanks

Choose Your Service Area

Zip Code: Auto

Search

Timezone:CENTRAL

Service Area:                                                                                                                         Channel lineup: Comcast Recommended Lineup

Verify your selected service area based on the channel lineup to the right>>>>>>deleted

Service Area:

Valued Contributor

How came this information wasn't ( Hightlight in Bold letter ) and place in sticky zone or updates, so nobody waste their time and take up space. As for me you can delete this post. also i share burtp feeling on this subject.....Thanks

ComcastJoe said:  It was changed about a month ago where the cookie will expire if you are not logged into the site. We have done this because we want to better personalize the customer's experience on XFINITYTV.com.

Thanks,
Joe

burtp said: ComcastJoe:  Thanks for being honest about it.  You're right that I am not pleased with the change, nor the fact that it was not announced to paying customers, but such is life.  I really don't want Comcast collecting more information about me to "personalize my experience" by displaying more ads that I never wished to receive, but it's your business decision.   Thanks for your time.

New Poster

COMCAST TV GUIDE

Why can't COMCAST fix their TV GUIDE???

It keeps defaulting to 19103

I've changed the city at least 30 times but the next time I use it...back to 19103

This new format is horrible compared to the old format

Tags (1)
Official Employee

Re: COMCAST TV GUIDE

MRXX wrote:

Why can't COMCAST fix their TV GUIDE???

It keeps defaulting to 19103

I've changed the city at least 30 times but the next time I use it...back to 19103

This new format is horrible compared to the old format

Make sure that you are signed in when accessing your TV Listings page and that your cookies and cache are not deleting upon exiting.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
New Poster

It's NOT worth the hassle to sign everytime in just to see your TV guide.

You never had to before.

I'll simply NOT use it any more.

Besides there are much better ones out there anyway !!!

New Poster

tv listing default zip code

Why does my zip code (38558) change to the default zip code(19103) every time I close out of the listings.  This constant changing every time is a Pain.  Harold Pate

New Poster

Re: tv listing default zip code

I would also like to know the answer to the tv listing default zip code.  It used to hold indefinitely, then it changed weekly, now it changes every time I check the tv listings.  Thank you.  

New Poster

Re: tv listing default zip code

I have noticed this change as well.  It is *very* annoying.  I'd like to request that Comcast change the website back so the zip code is remembered, even if the user is not logged in.  Or if there is a concern about privacy, add a simple checkbox that allows 'save location even if not logged in'.

There is some technical discussion around the change comcast made to the cookie that used to remember the zip code at:  http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-Website/TV-Listings-Do-Not-Remember-Location-Zip-Code/td-p/13...

Is there a way to 'vote' on changes to the site?  Changing it back so it remembers the zipcode is one I would vote for.

New Poster

Comcast made a change to intentionally forget the location.  This was done by setting a cookie named 'rh' to be a 'session' level cookie that is deleted when the browser session is ended.  It doesn't matter what browser is used, or what the individual browser settings are in regard to cookies, this is a setting that is done by the Comcast TV guide application.

I would like to vote for Comcast to change the TV listings back so they remember the zip code location even if the user is not logged in.  

New Poster

TV listing zip code

Every time I check my TV listings, it comes up with a default zip code of 19103.  I change/save it every time, but it continues to come up with the wrong area.

New Poster

tv listings

Why is it almost every time I log on to the tv listings it has defaulted from santa rosa ca to philidelphia? I realize there are 2 common numbers in the zip but regardless of how often I reset it it defaults back.

Official Employee

Re: tv listings

Hi all,

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, you must be signed in for your zip code to save on the TV Listings page.

If you are still having issues, please let me know.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
New Poster

Each time I open the XfinityTV page the default location that is shown is 19103. I dutifully change and save the location to the correct zipcode but the system refuses to remember it. Any solution?

New Poster

I am really upset that you have changed the cookie expiration date on the TV listings page.  I check that page several times a day, and all of a sudden, I have to retype my zip code every time  - even if only an hour later than the previous time I was there - that is ridiculous. My user name is set so I don't have to "sign in" every time - why should my zip code be any different??  Just so you could "gather more information on users" (or whatever your reasoning was to Burt, below)? -  Shame, shame on you Comcast. I am very dissatisfied.

Frequent Visitor

I'm not sure why on earth you want to sign in just to see the listings. You might as well just change the bloody zip code every time rather than take the time to sign in.

Frequent Visitor

"We have done this because we want to better personalize the customer's experience on XFINITYTV.com."

This is code for "we want the costomer to get deeper into the website because it benefits us even though it's an inconvenience for the customer."

What the heck is XFINITYTV anyway? I think it's a marketing concept just confusing enough that people won't take the time to understand it.

New Poster

TV Listings

Why is it that my settings are saved sometimes and at other times I must change to my zip code? Why will it not save my zip code.? I enter my zip code and press save but comcast goes to defaukt about 75% of the time.

New Poster

TV Guide - Something so STUPID simple!!!

Not sure what it is...but something as simple as a cookie can't be retained by my laptop..This was NEVER a problem before until you decided to 'update' to something you believed we wanted or needed.......how about some customer service. 

I CAN'T wait until there are other providers in my area....as a matter of fact, our subdivision of 25+ houses are looking forward to it!!!!

x-F-BS disgruntled customer.

New Poster

The zip code that I enter for local TV channels, changes to a different zip code

I enter my Chicago area zip code to get local channel guide.

The next time I look up the  channel guide, this zip code number has been changed to a Philadelphia zip code. Why is this happening? Why do I have to keep re-entering the Chicago area zip code? Shouldn't the computer stay on the Chicago area zip code that I enter? And why does the Philadelphia zip code come up in place of the Chicago area zip code? We have no reason to program for a Philadelphia channel guide.

Thank you for your help in this.

New Poster

I tried your suggestion and found that my account was set up with correct zip code.  Nevertheless, the TV listings keep going back to the default zip code.

Official Employee

Hi all,

We made some changes to how zip codes are saved on your TV Lisitngs page today.

Please try again and let me know if it is now working.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Frequent Visitor

Still doesn't work for me unless I sign in......AND I DON'T WANT TO DO THAT!!!!!

THIS JUST SUCKS!

New Poster

burtp wrote:

Within the last few days the TV Listings no longer remember the location / zip code entered and one has to reset it for every visit.  This used to work OK, or at least better than currently.  Occasionally the zip code had to be reset.  Now it is ever visit.  I have tried this in 3 browsers, Firefox, IE and Chrome.  All produce the same result. I am not deleting cookies so that is not the issue.  I have rebooted and that makes not difference so methinks the issue is on your end.  Where is the location / zipcode stored locally?

Thanks, in advance, for your assistance.

Frequent Visitor

Crickets.....where are you Comcast Joe.............

Official Employee

Goldengirl44 wrote:

Crickets.....where are you Comcast Joe.............

Are you allowing cookies to save?

Is your browser set to where it is deleting cookies upon exiting?

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
New Poster

The answer is actually simple.  I found this out by emailing the help contact at Comcast.  You have to log in using your login and password and check the place right there where is says "keep me logged in."  You will always have the right zip code.  You would think they would do this with a cookie.  But this is how they do it.

New Poster

Re: Default grid with tv listings for 19103 when I start a new session with IE9.

I had success with this problem by clearing the browser cache and temp files (IE9).  After this was done my location is now the default.

jeff