Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

TV Apps Are Essentially Non-Functional Away From Home

New Poster

TV Apps Are Essentially Non-Functional Away From Home

I'm going to call Comcase as well, but maybe somebody else is having the same problems and concerns as I am. Where to start? I don't like how I can't use the mobile apps while away from home. As far as I know, my wife and I have the X1 DVR and I can't watch my DVR while on the go as advertised. I have the TV and TV Go app. The TV Go app is okay, because I get some channels to watch, but I'm very upset with the TV app. I don't like how I have to be connecte to my home network to watch what's on my DVR or any channel from the TV listings. If I'm home, chances are I don't need to access my DVR or TV listing from my phone or tablet, because, I'm home. With a TV in the living room, with bigger better speakers, and a remote control.

I would love if I could ACTUALLY watch my DVR shows or favorite TV shows on the go. I like Comcast and it's easier in our apartment because our landlord would let us put up a dish unless it's on a post (nothing attached to the building) and in really bad weather it can knock out the signal. However, I'm seriously considering doing whatever I need to do to drop Comcast and get some sort of dish service as soon as our contract is up. Mobile services may not be for everybody, but I'm out a lot and mobile TV apps are a big deal for me. If Comcast could fix these issues, it'd be fine and fun. Also, I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge running Android Lollipop 5.1.1 on T-Mobile.

Thank you Comcast

I attached a picture, but if it doesn't show it says:

Could Not Create Download

There appears to be a problem with the manifest for this recording. Our video team has been alerts and is working to resolve the issue.

Screenshot_2015-10-15-12-09-04.png
Service Expert

Re: TV Apps Are Essentially Non-Functional Away From Home

bajanarchers wrote:

I would love if I could ACTUALLY watch my DVR shows or favorite TV shows on the go. I like Comcast and it's easier in our apartment because our landlord would let us put up a dish unless it's on a post (nothing attached to the building) and in really bad weather it can knock out the signal. However, I'm seriously considering doing whatever I need to do to drop Comcast and get some sort of dish service as soon as our contract is up. Mobile services may not be for everybody, but I'm out a lot and mobile TV apps are a big deal for me. If Comcast could fix these issues, it'd be fine and fun. Also, I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge running Android Lollipop 5.1.1 on T-Mobile.

You may need to call Comcast to find out if Cloud is available and if so, have the Cloud Rate Code added to your account to begin using it.  

I just tested my Note 4, on same carrier, with XfinityTV App and can see my DVR's recordings as I do have Cloud enabled.

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers,the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing.  Please ensure your post is in the correct Forum to begin with.  Please do not send me Private Messages for personal help but instead use the Forums to allow everyone to read and offer comments to assist you.  Comcast employees are identified with RED lettered User Names.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Problem Solver

Sorry to hear you are having issues, but you will never be able to watch LIVE TV using the Xfinity TV app when away from home.  It just doesn't allow that function as stated in the FAQ's:

What is X1 DVR with Cloud Technology?
The X1 DVR with Cloud Technology is a new DVR that allows you to record TV shows and movies in "the cloud," and then stream those recordings to your mobile devices and computers, or download recordings to a mobile device while connected to any WiFi or mobile network. You can also stream live TV and XFINITY On Demand content while connected to your in-home XFINITY network.

You should be able to watch DVR content when away from home without downloading the recording as long as you can get a network connection (wifi, 4G, etc).  If you use your 4G connection it could cost you data if you don't have an unlimited data plan.  I have watch many recorded shows while on vacation using the hotels wifi network.

As for downloading a recording, I feel your pain.  If a recording is able to download, it usually takes longer to download the file than it does to watch it.  And then of course there seems to be numerous issues with the download failing due to many different reasons, which Comcast seems to never acknowledge.

Problem Solver

geek46 wrote:

You may need to call Comcast to find out if Cloud is available and if so, have the Cloud Rate Code added to your account to begin using it.  

I just tested my Note 4, on same carrier, with XfinityTV App and can see my DVR's recordings as I do have Cloud enabled.

Doesn't it already prove the OP has CLOUD enabled since he can already see his recordings on the TV app?

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation