Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Sync'ing a streamed feed of a show with the live TV on my TV

New Poster

Sync'ing a streamed feed of a show with the live TV on my TV

Hi, I am having an Oscars party and want to set up my MacPro and iPad to stream the show at the same time as my live TV so that it can be seen in two different parts of the room.

There is a lag in the streaming of the channel compared to what is playing on the actual live TV, so it is not possible to watch the same part of the show at the same time on all the devices. Is there any way to synchronize the playing on both devices (my TV and my MacBook and my iPad?)

Thanks!

Problem Solver

Re: Sync'ing a streamed feed of a show with the live TV on my TV

No automatic sync'ing, but if you start recording the show, then wait a couple of minutes or so, then you can start the recordings at the same time and attempt to sync them manually. That should work.

New Poster

Thanks- not ideal if there were another way, but worth a try!
Frequent Visitor

This would be a really cool feature -- sync'ing playback across TVs/devices.

I can't be the only one that is annoyed when you have 2 TVs in 2 rooms on the same channel, yet there is an audible lag due to one of them being a DVR and the other not.

Also when using the computer in the same room as the TV (that others are watching) I don't usually have a direct view of the TV. Ideally I could have the live (or near live) TV streaming on my iPad or an external computer monitor without the sync issues from the other TV's sound/video.

I realize this is feature that would not excite a large percentage of customers at this time, but it would be wonderful if you could add it to the developers' suggestion box.

Determining the startup could be a little tricky with network latency, but it is not a new problem and the solutions don't seem too difficult. Namely you would have the TV (or one of the devices) send an audible ping, the other devices listen for the ping, and the latency is now known.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation