Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Support Linux Now!

ANSWERED
New Poster

Support Linux Now!

I see a thread whose title is "Please Support Linux". I have been asking for Linux support for a long time. I'm done saying "please". There's no good reason why Comcast can't support Xfinity streaming under Linux. It occurs in a browser, and browsers are multi-platform. Streaming works fine with Amazon Prime and Netflix, using Google Chrome under Linux. I pay more for Xfinity than I do for Prime and Netflix put together.

Xfinity services are supposed to include Xfinity streaming. Linux users should not be excluded. I switched to Linux in 1994 and refuse to run Windows. My wife ran Windows for a while, and I was scrubbing viruses off the machine twice a week. I put Linux on her machine, and there are no more problems. Another reason I would not use anything else is because of the quality GNU software available. I am a programmer, and I enjoy being able to work in several languages without being beholden to Microsoft. I enjoy things such as being able to connect to my personal laptop from anywhere in the world and use the graphical desktop, without the need for any 3rd party services. If I switched to Windows just because I wanted Xfinity streaming, I would be sacrificing a lot. It would be very difficult to say how much in just a few words. Obtaining Xfinity streaming by switching to Windows would not be worth the sacrifice of everything else. Nonetheless, Xfinity streaming should be available to me because it's supposed to be part of my service.

Linux, being derived from UNIX, the operating system of choice of the pioneers of the Internet, is very network friendly. It makes sense to use Linux in a networked enviroment. Use Windows if you want to play games. Use Linux if you want to get work done. That being said, Linux is a sufficient entertainment platform. Comcast should support it.

Accepted Solution

Re: Support Linux Now!

unclechromedome wrote:

I see a thread whose title is "Please Support Linux". I have been asking for Linux support for a long time. I'm done saying "please". There's no good reason why Comcast can't support Xfinity streaming under Linux. It occurs in a browser, and browsers are multi-platform. Streaming works fine with Amazon Prime and Netflix, using Google Chrome under Linux. I pay more for Xfinity than I do for Prime and Netflix put together.

Xfinity services are supposed to include Xfinity streaming. Linux users should not be excluded. I switched to Linux in 1994 and refuse to run Windows. My wife ran Windows for a while, and I was scrubbing viruses off the machine twice a week. I put Linux on her machine, and there are no more problems. Another reason I would not use anything else is because of the quality GNU software available. I am a programmer, and I enjoy being able to work in several languages without being beholden to Microsoft. I enjoy things such as being able to connect to my personal laptop from anywhere in the world and use the graphical desktop, without the need for any 3rd party services. If I switched to Windows just because I wanted Xfinity streaming, I would be sacrificing a lot. It would be very difficult to say how much in just a few words. Obtaining Xfinity streaming by switching to Windows would not be worth the sacrifice of everything else. Nonetheless, Xfinity streaming should be available to me because it's supposed to be part of my service.

Linux, being derived from UNIX, the operating system of choice of the pioneers of the Internet, is very network friendly. It makes sense to use Linux in a networked enviroment. Use Windows if you want to play games. Use Linux if you want to get work done. That being said, Linux is a sufficient entertainment platform. Comcast should support it.

Thank you for your feedback. I can confirm that there are no current plans to support Linux. However, I will share your request with our technical team. 

Here's a list of the current system requirements for reference:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/cable-tv/xfinity-tv-website-requirements/

-ComcastDan

View answer in context
Official Employee

unclechromedome wrote:

Thank you for your feedback. I can confirm that there are no current plans to support Linux. However, I will share your request with our technical team. 

Here's a list of the current system requirements for reference:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/cable-tv/xfinity-tv-website-requirements/

-ComcastDan

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Regular Visitor

Please be aware that there are very many Linux users who are exasperated by Comcast's  lack of Linux support; although a lot of them have already "cut the cord" and switched to less-expensive streaming services that only require html5.   

As one of the few Linux customers who have remained with Comcast despite being ignored, I was appalled to see that I can no longer even view the program listings online without buying a Windows or Apple computer.  There is little justification for that kind of decision.

I hope Comcast will re-think their position about Linux support.

Contributor

I am a Linux user. But I can't see the TV listings, either.  From about 09/2016 I've had to use http://www.tvguide.com/listings/.  Same thing for my wife.  Before 09/2016, everything was fine.

I've been a Linux user since 1995.

New Poster

This is not 'Solved', just listing off that you don't support Linux or are going to pass it on does not 'Solve' anything!

Solved would mean that you have someone lift the system detection - and allow Linux users any chance to attempt to use the Xfinity streaming.  Beside, starting today I have a larger reason to push for Linux abilty to stream:  the laptop I setup for only streaming is now constantly complaing that your streaming service is attempting to install malware about every 20 seconds while only streaming CNN.

New Poster

Yes - just fix it already xfinity. Support Linux browsers for your stream!

Frequent Visitor

I'm mad because they dont support Novell or Solaris too! 

New Poster

Maybe a class action would do the trick? As paying customers, we are not recieving equal services as others who pay the same rates as we do.

There is absolutely no reason support cannot be added.

This is simply stating customers who use Linux OS's are not as important to Comcast. But you sure don't offer us a break in the pricing for lesser/unequal service.

New Poster

Well said.  I use Linux Mint and can't get Xfinity Streaming to work on any Web Browser I've tried. I may have to try it on a Virtual machine, but would rather do it directly in Linux.

New Poster

Stop using flash, stop purposfully redirecing linux users based soley on their user-agent string, and start using open standards that work across browsers and operating systems.  Absolutly rediculous.

New Poster

Add me to the list of disappointed customers. We don't have windows pc's and no linux support is frustrating.

New Poster

It is riduculous that Comcast/Xfinity prevents your browser from streaming based on your operating system. If the browser can handle it, what's the big deal. And the response from the Comcast employ couldn't be less apathetic. Is this what I pay ALL THIS MONEY for? Generally, Comcast's attitude seems to be "We got your money, so ...." No other streaming service cares what OS you use. Even Verizon supports linux (chat transcript):

Verizon: Hi! How can I help you today?

You: can I stream live tv from my linux laptop?
Marley: By chatting with us, you grant us permission to review your services during the chat to offer the best value. Refusing to chat will not affect your current services. It is your right and our duty to protect your account information. For quality, we may monitor and/or review this chat.

You: ok?
We apologize for the unexpected delay, an agent should be with you very soon.
Agent Reo enters chat
Reo: Hey there! My name is Reo. Happy to help!

Reo: You're in good hands.

Reo: I'll be here to help you every step of the way.

Reo: You have to access this link on your TV : http://tv.verizon.com/livetv

Reo: *on your laptop

Reo: You will be able to stream all the live channels with your ID and Password. Sounds good?

You: So the fact that I'm on linux won't matter?
Reo: That is fine! It will work.

You: Thanks.
Reo: You are welcome! Could you please confirm if you already have Verizon Internet, TV and Phone services?

You: I don't but I'm considering making the switch.
You: Anything else?
Reo: I can help you with that so that you can get the best deals along with today's best offers.

You: not yet but thx
Reo: Can you help me with your complete address? So that I can check what all services are available.

You: i gotta go. thanks again
Tags (3)
New Poster

typical Comcast over priced and no Linux support 

Official Employee

alinuxuser wrote:

It is riduculous that Comcast/Xfinity prevents your browser from streaming based on your operating system. If the browser can handle it, what's the big deal. And the response from the Comcast employ couldn't be less apathetic. Is this what I pay ALL THIS MONEY for? Generally, Comcast's attitude seems to be "We got your money, so ...." No other streaming service cares what OS you use. Even Verizon supports linux (chat transcript):

Verizon: Hi! How can I help you today?

You: can I stream live tv from my linux laptop?
Marley: By chatting with us, you grant us permission to review your services during the chat to offer the best value. Refusing to chat will not affect your current services. It is your right and our duty to protect your account information. For quality, we may monitor and/or review this chat.

You: ok?
We apologize for the unexpected delay, an agent should be with you very soon.
Agent Reo enters chat
Reo: Hey there! My name is Reo. Happy to help!

Reo: You're in good hands.

Reo: I'll be here to help you every step of the way.

Reo: You have to access this link on your TV : http://tv.verizon.com/livetv

Reo: *on your laptop

Reo: You will be able to stream all the live channels with your ID and Password. Sounds good?

You: So the fact that I'm on linux won't matter?
Reo: That is fine! It will work.

You: Thanks.
Reo: You are welcome! Could you please confirm if you already have Verizon Internet, TV and Phone services?

You: I don't but I'm considering making the switch.
You: Anything else?
Reo: I can help you with that so that you can get the best deals along with today's best offers.

You: not yet but thx
Reo: Can you help me with your complete address? So that I can check what all services are available.

You: i gotta go. thanks again

It isn't that we "prevent it" it is that we are unable to support it because of existing Digital Rights Management systems that are incompatible with Linux.  Also, before switching to another provider, I'd double check that they actually do support Linux.

What are the FiOS TV Online Software/Hardware Requirements?

PC
Processor (Intel Pentium 4 3GHz or faster)
At least 1GB RAM (2GB RAM recommended for best performance)
1GHz Intel or AMD processor or better
500 MB free hard drive space
Windows XP or later
Internet Explorer 7.0 or above, Firefox 2.0 or above, or Safari 3.0, or Chrome 4.0 or above
Flash 10.0.22 or above
JavaScript and Cookies must be enabled
Mac
Processor (Intel Pentium Core Duo 1.83 GHz or faster)
At least 1GB RAM (2GB RAM recommended for best performance
Mac OS X v10.X or later
Internet Explorer 7.0 or above, Firefox 2.0 or above, or Safari 3.0, or Chrome 4.0 or above
Flash 10.0.22
If you still have questions or need additional help, please contact Verizon.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

If it runs in Chromebook why do they make it difficult with Linux PC?

Contributor

ComcastDan wrote:

It isn't that we "prevent it" it is that we are unable to support it because of existing Digital Rights Management systems that are incompatible with Linux.  Also, before switching to another provider, I'd double check that they actually do support Linux.

What are the FiOS TV Online Software/Hardware Requirements?

PC
Processor (Intel Pentium 4 3GHz or faster)
At least 1GB RAM (2GB RAM recommended for best performance)
1GHz Intel or AMD processor or better
500 MB free hard drive space
Windows XP or later
Flash 10.0.22 or above
Mac
Processor (Intel Pentium Core Duo 1.83 GHz or faster)
At least 1GB RAM (2GB RAM recommended for best performance
Mac OS X v10.X or later
Flash 10.0.22
If you still have questions or need additional help, please contact Verizon.

I have been talking with people at Comcast for nearly a year about this and, this explanation covers nothing, unless a person doesn't know his/her own computer.
Your list confirms pretty much what I already knew.
Most Linux machines are capable of running Java, and in fact do.  But no Linux does not support Flash.
Now I recently posted an article in regards to the announcement that Flash was about to met its final and irrevocable Death, asking what Comcast planned to do once Flash was not going to be available by default on ANY computer on the market.  So far no response.  I know many feel that upgrading to HML5 would do the trick. 

But as to Digital Rights, I believe that is just a cop out, because The Kernel of my Operating System should make no difference, if the Interface I am using to access the service is Officially Branded, as anyone Using the Official Google Chrome Browser would be. (Using Chromium? Ok I understnad it not working).

I can also run Firefox, Opera, Netscape Navigator and Safari, and with almost no trouble I can also run Internet Explorer (Legally). I am pretty sure if I tried hard enough I might even be able to Run Edge. (not taking bets on that one).  I have spoken to a Corpoerate rep just this evening who says (I'm hoping it is true) that he is escalating my concerns to someone who may be able to help out and should be contacted in the next 24 to 48 hours.  It should be an interesting discussion.

I have been told that services such as the XTV website and the Xfinity Stream App on Roku or any of the Android or iOS apps are 'Value Added Services' and we are not being charged for them. (As if this should explain it.) Accepted, and (once things work) Appreciated. But If the 'Value Added Services' don't work, why offer them in the first place.  If I go to a Restaurant and they tell me Coffe is Free as a value added service, and I get a cup full of coffee grounds or coffee more like dirty water, then it is of no value to me so the service is not appreciated.

More and More Comcast is going to find More and More Linux users popping up and complaining (in part due to the way Microsoft is handling things nowadays, or other reasons).  But mostly because it is a more secure and a Community supported OS that doesn't require them to pay out large sums of money for the privilege of being able to use their computer for work and pleasure.  It is my belief that NBC Universal/Comcast/Xfinity, might find a way to use the growing market of Open Source Linux Users to their benefit.

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Customer-Service/The-Final-Death-of-Adobe-Flash/td-p/2932756

New Poster

Change your plans not to support Linux, and SUPPORT IT!
Regular Visitor

I use Linux Mint for my home theatre PC, and I find Comcast's explanation for not supporting Linux to be disingenuous. Even if they are not willing to change Xfinity Stream TV to HTML5, they could at least allow casting, and then Linux users could still watch it without a set top box.

Instead, they stymie every attempt by the subscriber to use their service without the set top box rental. I pay for Starz, but cannot view it in my browser because Comcast won't allow Starz to stream to Comcast subscribers. Now comes "XFINITY Instant TV Beta" another scam by Comcast to squeeze $18 more a month from their customers.  Why doesn't comcast simply make an app for Roku, Fire, and Chrome without all the fancy extras so customers can stream what they are already paying for?

If you don't want to support Linux, at least get out of our way and allow us to view the content we are paying for!

Contributor

threeten wrote:

I use Linux Mint for my home theatre PC, and I find Comcast's explanation for not supporting Linux to be disingenuous. Even if they are not willing to change Xfinity Stream TV to HTML5, they could at least allow casting, and then Linux users could still watch it without a set top box.

Instead, they stymie every attempt by the subscriber to use their service without the set top box rental. I pay for Starz, but cannot view it in my browser because Comcast won't allow Starz to stream to Comcast subscribers. Now comes "XFINITY Instant TV Beta" another scam by Comcast to squeeze $18 more a month from their customers.  Why doesn't comcast simply make an app for Roku, Fire, and Chrome without all the fancy extras so customers can stream what they are already paying for?

If you don't want to support Linux, at least get out of our way and allow us to view the content we are paying for!

I've asked them the same questions, over and over.  I have heard excuses from incompatible coding to license violations because of open source software and marketshare shows that no one uses Linunx.  It's all a load of what Clydesdales dop by the roadside.

Eventually I went up the chain as far as I thought I could and was told in no uncertain terms that no matter what the market says about Linux users, no matter who whines and demands and complains in the forums, Comcast will not support Linux. (Will Not) an admission that it was a choice on their part.  They can't even give me an explanation as to why I was able to use the XTV website at one time (back during Xfinity GO) and suddenly it stopped.

As to content you pay for.  Let me tell you about a conversation I had with a Corpoprate Sales person about being unable to access content I am paying for.

I was told that no matter if it is the XTV website, or the Android or IOS App or a Roku Channel, Comcast considers them "Value Added Services" and since we do not specifically pay for the Value Added Service they are under no obligation to support our personal hardware.  

At the moment, I use the Roku app as much as is possible between it crashing or throwing me DRM errors when I try to access my Recording, or on demands shows and movies. The moment it ceases being beta and Comcast begins to charge for their "Value Added Services" I will rip the app out of my roku, even if I have to Factory Rest he device.  I will never allow Comcast to charge me to use a device that is my personal property and i purchased long before I was a comcast customer.

Calling this topic [ANSWERED] is just one more sign that this is a topic Comcast refuses to address reasonably with its customers.

New Poster

The DRM requirements are the main reason for this issue which will not be corrected. Xfinity is not lying in this regard.

Simplest solution is one that will help you get familiar with running as a virtual machine, something that can help add privacy and security in general.  It sounds like a hassle until you get used to using your machine that way on a regular basis

Simply load Win7 as a virtual machine and use it for Xfinity and other sites like healthcare.gov and irs.gov which I often find can be finicky with linux at times.  Also load your favorite gnu/linux distro as a virtual machine and try out using it for your everyday tasks.  There are multiple benefits including the overall stability of your system, spoofed browser fingerprint, etc.  I used to always dual boot Win* and a gnu/linux distro, but now find running as virtual machines in both  on top of my base gnu/linux install is the most elegant and effective overall solution, especially given forced Win 10 updates breaking GRUB and more on some dual boot systems.

Only caveat is that I would recommend 3GB total RAM or more to run as virtual machine.

I am also aware of some who posess the coding skills that I lack, who were able to get xfinity to play on their Arch install, so at some point one might find an "easy install" version of their work.  I'm going to go look for something like that now.  Peace.  

Regular Visitor

ayahuasca wrote:

The DRM requirements are the main reason for this issue which will not be corrected. Xfinity is not lying in this regard.

What does DRM have to do with Comcast blocking the ability to cast from my tablet to my TV, or blocking the Starz web site so that I may not view content there?

This is about Comcast's bottom line. Another complaint about not being able to access the STARZ app

New Poster

All I want is the stupid program guide, decouple that service, which I pay a lot for, so I can plan my viewing.

I don't want, or need, any streaming video for that

Contributor

bocaman wrote:

All I want is the stupid program guide, decouple that service, which I pay a lot for, so I can plan my viewing.

I don't want, or need, any streaming video for that

This is where I mention the part where I have talked myself hoarse with Comcast for the last year and tehy either ignore me or tell me directly that they will never support Linux in anyway. You can always try tvguide.com that will pretty much show you everything availablein your area. 

My frustration iwth the situation just gets worse with passing time and shows me how much the Providers are going to control what they want us to see and what they do not no matter how we yell and scream.

I too still complain using the "Paying Customer" line. but have discovered, that they just don't care.  Not enough individuals using linux could possibly discontinue their service to make a difference to Comcast.
It is unfortunate, but as much as they say they care about their customers and what we want, I continually get a growing sense of Disenfranchisment with each call I make to them.

New Poster

you are a not the answer. You are a waist of our money. Grow up get a real job tired of paying for lazy people like you. 

200 a month now FO. And set your drm to html5 not systemwide flash like mac and windows. 

New Poster

Not a fix but I use playonlinux with a stable wine 32bit and a older firefox.  Because COMCAST takes my money and gives no service. F__K C__t and it's bull S__T developers.

if it doesnot work in Slackware nothing does. 

Regular Visitor

ComcastDan wrote:

ayahuasca wrote:

While you/they think Comcast is not lying, here are a couple of facts...

• I can stream ESPN, NBC, ABC, CBS, TNT, Netflix, Hulu (shall I go on) on my Linux desktop PC running Ubuntu 16.04LTS
  • XFINITY streaming works on a retail Chromebook, which is based on the Chrome browser and Linux kernel

There is no technical nor legal reason they can't pretty much throw a switch and support Linux desktop/laptop users right now.  At the VERY least, let us have the program guide!

Contributor

sbennett372 wrote:
ComcastDan wrote:

ayahuasca wrote:

While you/they think Comcast is not lying, here are a couple of facts...

• I can stream ESPN, NBC, ABC, CBS, TNT, Netflix, Hulu (shall I go on) on my Linux desktop PC running Ubuntu 16.04LTS
  • XFINITY streaming works on a retail Chromebook, which is based on the Chrome browser and Linux kernel

There is no technical nor legal reason they can't pretty much throw a switch and support Linux desktop/laptop users right now.  At the VERY least, let us have the program guide!

I've tried that one on them.  Even included Netflix, Hulu and Sling.  I also use 16.04LTS, they just keep parroting the whole DRM licensing thing.
The way they listen to their customers is by lying and ignoring concerns and requests.  There actually was a time, before they killed XfinityGO that I was actually able to view on Chrome.  When they got rid of it and opened up the XTV site it all came to an end.  I actually consider it lucky I can even log into the Forums on a Linux Machine.

Regular Visitor

The thing is, it's the silly thing that bothers me the most... the TV listings.  Yeah, I guess it's a little annoying I can't watch on-demand stuff I've bought, but the TV listing is just a WWW site that I know properly shows our system's channels.  There's no DRM with that.

The other thing is, and I'm doing this as I type because my family is watching something on our X1 box, I logged in to USA Network using my Xfinity credentials on my Linux machine to watch NCIS reruns.  Guess what, it works.  So literally there is no excuse for the TV listings, and little excuse for on-demand purchases.

Contributor

@ wrote:

The thing is, it's the silly thing that bothers me the most... the TV listings.  Yeah, I guess it's a little annoying I can't watch on-demand stuff I've bought, but the TV listing is just a WWW site that I know properly shows our system's channels.  There's no DRM with that.

The other thing is, and I'm doing this as I type because my family is watching something on our X1 box, I logged in to USA Network using my Xfinity credentials on my Linux machine to watch NCIS reruns.  Guess what, it works.  So literally there is no excuse for the TV listings, and little excuse for on-demand purchases.

It has become a Lost Cause.  Even though the Channel Guide can be reached via web browser it cannot be separated from he XTV site, so the restrictions cover the entire site.  I can, and do, use the forums from my linux machine, I can access my account info and I can get my voicemails, emails, and such on my Linux Machine, but anything that requires accessing my X1 DVR TV Services is blocked.

I do the same thing.  I can go to Food Network, History Channel, etc and log in with Xfinity Creds and everything works. (I've mentioned this to them before they don't care)  I can also watch CBS All Access, Netflix, Hulu, CW, and Sling on my linux, using Chrome OR Firefox, I can even Cast it to a Chromecast.
Comcast has decided they aren't going to allow Linux access.

I have a feeling it is along the lines of what I found out trying to get info for a friend who just switched to Linux. He has PlayonLinux, Wine and also bought Crossover. and wanted to install his purhased copy of Affinity Photo.  the Affinty forum specifically stated that Affintiy would not support Linux because they believe Linux Users are all hackers and looking for somehting for nothing.

I have a feeling that Comcast objects to Full Operating Systems being Free and Community Supported and if it's free it's bad.

New Poster

It is now the end of February 2018.  Still no Xfinity TV support for Linux Desktops.  Strange, since it works for Macs running Unix, and Android which is Linux based.  All underlying technologies are fully supported by Linux browsers Firefox and Chrome which work fine on other platforms.

Since Comcast appears to be checking User Agent Strings, it makes Linux users wonder if the discrimination against this operating system is intentional.  That's an odd thing to do to paying customers.

Perhaps Comcast will fix this with the conversion to HTML 5.  Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Hulu all work with Linux.  It is time for Comcast to catch up to the competition.

New Poster

Same, I hope it happens soon!

Contributor

@pfedele wrote:

It is now the end of February 2018.  Still no Xfinity TV support for Linux Desktops.  Strange, since it works for Macs running Unix, and Android which is Linux based.  All underlying technologies are fully supported by Linux browsers Firefox and Chrome which work fine on other platforms.

Since Comcast appears to be checking User Agent Strings, it makes Linux users wonder if the discrimination against this operating system is intentional.  That's an odd thing to do to paying customers.

Perhaps Comcast will fix this with the conversion to HTML 5.  Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Hulu all work with Linux.  It is time for Comcast to catch up to the competition.

There is no need to wonder.

SOmwhere back in all my ravings and postings, I mentioned, (Especially for the benefit of the "Comcast Employee" accounts, posting in the forums) That it did work on Linux at one time.  I have been running Ubuntu since 2009 or 2010, and up until they got rid of the TvGO App and replaced it with Xfinity Stream, the old TvGO url used to work just fine from my machine.  They do check your OS.  I have been told by Comcast they will NOT Support Linux, and my guess is, it is the same reason that the maker of my image editing software gave for not supporting linux.

I was told, outright. "Linux Users are all hackers who refuse to pay for the software they want." They would not listen to the reality and it is my belief that Comcast and others are 100% against Opensource 'Anything.'

New Poster

The answer provided by the xfinity representive is useless. Thats all I have to say for now.

New Poster

I agree!  Come on!!!  Really, Xfinity, with today's new technology and with the advancement of HTML5 DRM, there's no excuse.  I can watch Netflix, Hulu, YouTube TV, Amazon Prime, and many others.  When are you going to realize that streaming with ANY browser and with ANY operating system not a problem to you or to your business.  It will only encourage current Linux customers to keep using your services.  Or, would you prefer to discriminate against those that prefer to use a better operating system?

Contributor

They prefer to Discriminate.  I've heard it with my own ear.  If you want to hear it as well, call any one of these numbers and bring up the issue of being able to access XTV.COMCAST.NET using a Linux COmputer with either Chrome or Firefox Browser.  Make sure to reference "Linux Computer." to the Reps and Techs you speak to.

You will be told that Comcast Policy is to NOT support Linux and has no plans to do so in the future.

Copmcast Corporate Line:  (215) 286-1700

We're On It Team: (866) 671-5645

NOTE: It took me months to get these Numbers.  They are not openly available (By Comcast Order)

Please Use them as you see fit.  You are Paying Comcast and should be able to call them.

New Poster

Comcast is garbage.

Its the highest cost ISP in America and they have the lowest standard in customer service and satisfaction.

Their pre-sale policy is to tell you everything you will get, but they fail to mention there is no smart tv apps, xbox one, ps4, or a functioning android app for their streaming service.

They don't tell you that you cant stream with Linux but they will shove their garbage streaming service down their customer's throughts and charge a ridiculous amount for basically just an internet connection because well no one even using the streaming service. To add injury to insult they meter the internet connection and charge you for extra for it. 

COMCAST IS GARBAGE!

Tags (2)
New Poster

Why waste your time.

New Poster

I'm going to have to agree with unclechromedome on this. There is absolutely no reason why you wouldn't support streaming on linux, a much more robust AND secure OS than the supported. My .02 cents

New Poster

"we are unable to support it because of existing Digital Rights Management systems that are incompatible with Linux." A bold face LIE. 

They support Android, Chromebooks, iOS X ??.?, Roku. Well, Gee Willikers, Mr. Wizzard, aren't ALL of those different versions of LINUX? (I know. iOS is AT&T(?BSD?) Unix.) I am not buying this explanation. It is a flat out falsehood. XFINITY and Comcast USE Linux in their servers, DVR's and other internal structure. I refuse to believe that they know nothing about Linux. 

I can fully accept that the tech support team may not be trained on using Linux. This does not upset me. Most linux users are smart enough to get things to work. We will even run binary blobs that are NOT open source. Just like on Chromebooks, Android and Roku. There are some very closed source programs that large corporations use and pay millions for the privilege to use, to get their jobs done. Simply stop blocking the Linux OS. Maybe post a page laying out the REAL requirements and how Linux users can meet them. Even if the solution is running a program written for MS-Windows (.exe) in the WINE emulator. 

From my 40 years in computers, I know that MOST Linux Users do not want to steal other peoples property, software, music, or movies. They typically save enough money by not paying the Microsoft tax, that they can legally purchase what they want. They are also very respectful of Copyright laws. From my experience, most of the pirates and bootleggers are Microsoft customers. Microsoft customers feel so taken advantage of, in computer maintenance and the upgrade treadmill, that theft is almost a requirement for them. Even Microsoft has false flagged legally purchased and installed versions of their OS, calling their 'loyal and legal' customers pirates and thieves. That, and being attacked by malware, is the main reason most of the people I know, do not use Microsoft products. 

Please XFINITY. Help us Linux users to be able to fully use your services.
Thank You
Perkie7

New Poster

Chrome has DRM "baked-in" on all OS platforms. Xfinity does not need to provide "Linux support" any more, it needs only to fully support *Chrome*. Get on with it!

New Poster

Have you even tried Chrome on Linux?  Xfinity doesn't support it.

Forums Tips and Tricks:
Tagging Posts... See More
Discussion stats