Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Subscription Required Message - even on local channels

Regular Visitor

Subscription Required Message - even on local channels

I've been having an issue with streaming some channels on my desktop PC, even on a local network connection in my home. I'm getting a "Subscription to This Channel Required" message. The weird thing is that the issue seems to be happening with standard channels such as my local ABC and CBS affiliates, and ESPN. However I am able to stream both MSNBC and Fox News with no issues. I first noticed this issue last weekend (9/24/2016) when trying to watch a football game on ABC. I had been able to stream my local affiliates before that, so I'm wondering what may have changed around that time. I know Comcast rolled out their new website for streaming TV recently, so I'm guessing that may be part of the issue.

Are others having this problem? I came over to Comcast for TV in June with the 2 year commitment in an attempt to save a little money, and just called yesterday to cancel my DirecTV account. But if I'm going to continue to have issues like this though, I've got no problem going back to DTV after my commitment is complete.

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Subscription Required Message - even on local channels

hayesjf11 wrote:

I've been having an issue with streaming some channels on my desktop PC, even on a local network connection in my home. I'm getting a "Subscription to This Channel Required" message. The weird thing is that the issue seems to be happening with standard channels such as my local ABC and CBS affiliates, and ESPN. However I am able to stream both MSNBC and Fox News with no issues. I first noticed this issue last weekend (9/24/2016) when trying to watch a football game on ABC. I had been able to stream my local affiliates before that, so I'm wondering what may have changed around that time. I know Comcast rolled out their new website for streaming TV recently, so I'm guessing that may be part of the issue.

Are others having this problem? I came over to Comcast for TV in June with the 2 year commitment in an attempt to save a little money, and just called yesterday to cancel my DirecTV account. But if I'm going to continue to have issues like this though, I've got no problem going back to DTV after my commitment is complete.

You're not alone, wecome to comcast's idea of awesome

See all complaints here:

forums.xfinity.com/t5/Xfinity-TV-Website/Announcement-and-feedback-thread-TV-Go-is-now-part-of-Xfinity-TV/td-p/2804996

Send your concerns here ecare@comcast.com and use the feedback button on the listings page

Problem Solver

It sounds like you might have an entitlement issue. Have you called Comcast yet? I know it is a hassle calling and dealing with phone support, but I suggest you do that, and ask them to refresh your entitlements. If the CSR you get is clueless, ask to speak to Billing.

Do you have cable TV service also, or do you just subscribe to Stream TV only? If you have cable tv service, then Comcast didn't just roll out their new website for streaming. That site has been out for over 2 years+. The majority of the Comcast users just didn't seem to be using it.

hayesjf11 wrote:

Regular Visitor

I added the X1 TV service in June, but I've been a Comcast Internet customer for a number of years now. So unfortunately, I do have some familiarity with the overall customer service experience. Yeah, I was trying to avoid calling them if I could, just because it can get so doggone painful sometimes. But I may need to bite the bullet and call.

Problem Solver

If after calling you still have no success, try PMing a few of the forum admins, ComcastZach and ComcastTeds.  They might be able to point you in the right direction.

And post back with your results. It could help others with the same issue. Thanks.

hayesjf11 wrote:

I added the X1 TV service in June, but I've been a Comcast Internet customer for a number of years now. So unfortunately, I do have some familiarity with the overall customer service experience. Yeah, I was trying to avoid calling them if I could, just because it can get so doggone painful sometimes. But I may need to bite the bullet and call.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation