Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Streaming issues - live streaming TV connection problems

New Poster

Streaming issues - live streaming TV connection problems

I am a long time customer of Comcast and plan to be unless this issue is resolved.  I am a very busy person and have two dead cable boxes at my house.  It's not been a big deal because it actually limited screen time for the kids and changed the way we live, which was much more screen based.  Regardless of that, we still pay for a certain service and being that we don't have our standard connection I have been using the Live TV streaming option to try to get in a few shows here or there.

I want to note that OnDemand stored videos are less problematic, but some of this still happens there.  It generally works.

So, for streaming services I use Comcast and Netflix, mostly.  I have tried some others and they don't appear to share the issues.  My biggest problem as been with AMC.  Walking Dead (both of them) and Better Call Saul are shows I enjoy and for my over $200.00 per month I'd think that should be pretty easy.  What I find is that my connection feezes so often that it makes the shows, while streaming live, basically unwatchable.

I am able, at my home, to connect to the Wifi router in our house (the old one was far faster, I guarantee.  This new one has trottle options or something programmed that makes it preform very poorly compared to the router/modem that I was requred to upgrade to 9 months or so ago.)  Anyway, my issue is I get some of the program loading and in a few minutes the screen freezes.  I can wait and get some jumpy video, or sometimes 1-2 more minuites, and then again this pause.  We have an XFinity hotspot across the field from us (about 1/2 block totally open) that is generally far faster than our in home wired connection.  I can switch between these two when this stuttering happens and when I switch I generally get a couple of minuites before the problem happens again, and I have to switch (if I don't sometimes I can wait a couple minutes and since it is live it jumps).  Commercials are less problematic, but they do have this issue also.  

It seems the longer I try to watch a show the more frequent the issues.

Based on the fact that we have a direct connection to Comcast through our expensive purchased line, as well as it being your service, I would think it would work as smoothly as anything.  I can tell you, other streaming services are much cleaner, higher resolution, better audio quality and with few problems.  

I know I need to get my boxes traded out, but I would still like this service to function without such agrivation.  I am glad Comcast decided to offer their services in different ways, but really I think the way it sits now it is almost unwatchable, so why have the expenses of something that costs 10's of millions to run in a year for something that just makes customers angry in their attempts to operate.

If there are any suggestions to improve this functionality on my side (I have both Windows and Android devices) I would be receptive to that.  Based on the fact that this is happening in multiple connections (local wifi and the Xfinity tower, which is really cool and a nice supprise by the way) I would appreciate them.  Otherwise, I need to change our boxes and think of this as "we'll get it someday" tech and not bother myself with trying.  

Thanks for listening and let me know if you do have any suggestions.

Jake

Frequent Visitor

Re: Streaming issues - live streaming TV connection problems

same issue here and posts about streaming stuttering and freezing would be better served all in one place but they dont allow that.

Regular Contributor

Hello nixvivivi,

I definitely understand your frustration. I have ran a diagnostic to your equipment. Please let us know if the diagnostic resolved your issue.

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

cannot watch/listen to cnn live streaming without refreshing every 5 minutes. worked fine for about a month then problems every day. have cleared cache and keep only the comcast window open.

i pay too much for such inferior service.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation