Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Streaming is unreliable

Contributor

Streaming is unreliable

When using Chrome 34.0.1847.131, after a few minutes (maybe ~8 minutes), the video goes black. At first, sound will continue for maybe a minute, but then there is nothing. On Internet Explorer 11, the same thing happens, but instead of going black, the screen usually stays frozen on its last live image. Oddly enough, in addition, before freezing on IE, the stream jumps back about a minute and repeatedly plays through the remaining minute in fast-forward over and over until it eventually freezes.

This was happening on a wireless connection, so I tried a wired connection, and the same issues occurred. To resolve, I have to refresh the page. But again, that means I refresh about every 8 minutes. Ridiculous.

Contributor

Re: Streaming is unreliable

BUMP

Regular Contributor

Are you using Windows 8/8.1 by any chance?

Reading though many threads, I've recently picked up on a theme. Some people using Chrome or IE on Windows 8/8.1 that use Pepper based Flash seem to be having more problems than people using Windows 7 with the ActiveX Flash plugin or FireFox with the Flash plugin.

I haven't been able to confirm this but I suspect that on Windows 8 there is some undefinable difference between the Pepper based Flash and the plugin version. If you are on Windows 8 then I suggest you try FireFox with the Flash plugin and see if you have better results.

If you do give this a try, please post back with the results for the benifit of everyone.

- Norm

Contributor

I'm using Windows 7 x64

Problem Solver

I'm using firefox and getting the same problem he has it did the exact same thing while trying to watch the live channel TNT

Contributor

Comcast, where are you??? BUMP

Regular Contributor

I've been meaning to reply here but I've been a little bogged down; what shows are you having problems with? Are they regular network or cable networks like ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox or FX, USA etc? If they are any of these networks then I suggest you try going directly to the networks own website and watch from there.

If you can watch streaming from the networks site without any issue then the problem is not local to you i.e. your computer, your router or modem but most likely with the Comcast streaming servers that service your area. I believe that I saw someone post that Comcast has regional servers, although which reagions are covered by what servers only Comcast knows. If this is the case the only option is to call customer service and complain and continue to follow up until you get satisfaction.

- Norm

Contributor

I tested TNT, TBS, ESPN, ESPN2, and Fox News. All have issues through Comcast's website, but not through the stations' websites.

The problem seems to be related to commercials. Whenever a non-network commercial (meaning a commercial that advertises something other than another show of that network) comes on, the video of the program currently being watched never returns. Audio may or may not return, but video never returns.

The only way to resolve this is refreshing the page. So this has to constantly be done every few minutes. Especially annoying when watching sports games since it could be every minute.

Why hasn't Comcast responded to this issue?

Regular Contributor

Ok, so what you've got is problems with commercials. ComcastJoe started a thread specifically for people having commercials issues http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-Website/Ad-Issue-during-Video-Playback-on-http-xfinitytv-comc... I suggest you read his first post and reply with the details he requests and you'll stand a much better chance of getting some kind of reply.

There are literally dozens of threads here about people having issues with commercials i.e. the video going to commercials and then freezing and never continuing; commercials looping for 8-10 minutes; at the end of a given set of commercials you get "You've just watched Abcxyz" and the show is no where near the end.

I can also tell you that I have three computers, two Windows 7 machines and one Windows 8.1 with update 1 installed, I use FireFox exclusively and I'm not having any of the commercial issues that you are having. (I use the Windows 8 machine almost exclusively to watch streaming content but I test every once in a while with the Windows 7 machines) So I must not be in the same region as you and I stream from different servers (most likely) which is why I'm not having the same problem.

I feel your pain having been the victom of this (severely) about a year ago, I can also tell you that I got no acknowledgement from Comcast that there was a problem and I just kept watching from the networks site until it eventually was fixed on the Xfinity site.

- Norm

Contributor

Still no response from Comcast!? BUMP!!!! I pay a whole lot of money for Comcast to provide their services. In the very least, a response is expected!

Contributor

BUMP

New Poster

Seriously, how is this not even getting a response.  Windows 8.1 user, all videos, all live streaming get the same error message in chrome and internet explorer never loads anything, just shows commercials and freezes.  Glad to see there is never a problem with your abilities to jam commercials down my throat comcast, but I'm paying to watch TV and movies, not ads.

Regular Contributor

You can try and private message one of the official Comcast support people to get their attention.

In regards to commercials, pay channels like HBO and Showtime don't have commercials any other network show funds the content through commercials so you're going to have to put up with some, hopefully not more or less than what you would get watching on your TV. Looping commercials or commercials that freeze are bugs in either the Comcast system or in the ad servers.

Try using FireFox with the "Status-4-Evar" and "Live HTTP headers" extensions which will help you identify where the video is getting stuck; see this thread http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-Website/HBO-Game-of-Thrones-not-working/td-p/2164388 where I was able to find and report where the video was getting stuck although in the end it didn't really help me fix the problem it may help you to determine where the video is getting stuck and if you report enough details to the Comcast people it may help them figure out what your problem is.

- Norm

Contributor

Any chance Comcast will troubleshoot the issue themselves? I mean, we are paying for service that we're not receiving (I pay a few hundred dollars per month). I've already gone to multiple Network websites and confirmed that Network website streams work just fine. I have reported the issue (in another thread) in the exact format Comcast would like to see it. Multiple people in this forum have reported the same issue in this thread and others. Additionally, every one of my friends with Comcast has the same issue (at least in NJ). When will someone from Comcast have the decency to respond? Or does acknowledging the posts from anyone/everyone (on this thread and others) for this issue mean a solution has to be found in a timely manner, so it's better to avoid answering at all?

I certainly appreciate your help NormAtHome, but what is the point of taking the time to troubleshoot for them when nearly a month later, no one has received a single reply?

Contributor

BUMP

Regular Contributor

At this point your best bet is to send a private message to one of the Comcast people with details and a link to this thread (since multiple people have posted with similar complaints) and ask them to look into it since this has been going on for a while.

- Norm

Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation