members

online now

discussions

Starz App

SOLVED
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 151 of 285

I too have separate domain email addresses but I do still use the @comcast.net emails too. We bundle our internet and cable TV (and phone) with Comcast and so far, although pricey, the internet is still by far the best option around here. So, even if we'd ditch the cable TV with Comcast, we'd likely keep the ISP/internet with Comcast. So, our email addresses wouldn't be affected.

I have no idea why my Starz Play app went back to functioning on Thursday, after a week of NOT working... but I'm not complaining. I don't ever try to use the Starz Play app on anything but Rokus. Never on my phone, so I have no idea whether phone apps are being affected differently than the Roku apps/authentications.

I know everything's careening toward being Cloud-based ... not happy about that because of the lack of control. I still try to buy actual CDs for music when I can precisely for that reason: so that I can *have* the music offline and know I still have access to it. And although I buy fewer of them, I still also buy DVDs. (I bought the first season of Outlander, for instance, for the ability to watch it no matter what the cable TV is doing to me.)

We'll see who wins this battle, but I have a feeling that it won't be us unless there is a mass exodus with pitchforks and angry villagers.  Smiley Happy

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 152 of 285

austruck1 wrote:

We'll see who wins this battle, but I have a feeling that it won't be us unless there is a mass exodus with pitchforks and angry villagers.  Smiley Happy

Yep! Smiley Happy

Posted by
Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 153 of 285

The xfinity Tv app is not available for Apple TV. I am now being blocked from watching starz content using my Apple TV. Subscribers to other tv services are not being blocked from using the Starz app this is rather inconvenient especially when it was previously available.

Posted by
Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 154 of 285
This is not resolved. To mark this as resolved is an insult to all Starz subscribers. If we are paying for Starz we should be able to watch it in the actual Starz app. Whyhas a representative from Comcast not answered this question? I find it odd that the largest cable provider in the US is not able to do something this minor. Starz is blaming Comcast/Xfinity but nobody wants to figure out a way to deal with this, I find that to be disturbing. When will we be able to authenticate to the Starz mobile app? Someone from either company needs to step up and figure this out for their customers.
Posted by
Visitor

Message 155 of 285
"Comcast, you miserable pile of corporate greed and ineptitude." I find myself saying this almost on a daily basis as I fight a never ending battle of faulty internet connections, playback errors and the like. Although I must admit, I usually mutter it in a far less eloquent manner since I was not created with a profanity filter attached to my face (unlike this forum).But today, that phrase was muttered in regard to the newly updated Starz app that I can no longer log in to.

Not only does the Xfinity TV app offer a miserable user experience, but now Comcast has intentionally blocked it's own customers from using a better alternative - the new Starz app. I was completely befuddled to learn that the reason I was unable to stream shows from the Starz app after its last update, was because Comcast made the intentional and selfish decision to deny authentication of Starz subscriptions.

I find this unbelievable, disgusting, and unethical. Look, I get it. You want people to use your products and apps. But if you're incapable of producing a quality product and delivering a satisfying user/customer experience, then who the f are you to handcuff your customers to your garbage? Shame on you. I imagine the only reason Starz hasn't hit you with an Anti-trust lawsuit is the same reason I'm still your customer. You've already got us over a barrel.

P.S. To the forum moderator who's job it is to delete posts that management considers "inappropriate:" please leave this one be. If your job is to help customers, then help me by making management listen. Be my voice. Please.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 156 of 285

Yet another update to the iPhone app which explicitly states the the Xfinity authentication is not enabled.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 157 of 285

Moderator will soon mark this "solved", as with other STARZ app complaints and hope you go away.

Posted by
Visitor
  • Great Job! Your reply has been accepted. Thank you for helping and Congrats on your 1st Solution.

Message 158 of 285

Pitty, too, because I'm trying to watch "The Usual Suspects" (currently on Starz) online and Xfinity has decided that the movie is supposed to end 46 minutes in, cuts away, and inquires as to whether I'd like to watch it again. If only there was a competent alternative... 

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 159 of 285

Razumihin wrote:

... If only there was a competent alternative... 

That's what Comcast has over most of us. My city supervisors ok'd Comcast for my area years ago and I have no other high-speed Internet/TV provider in the area. As neighbors say, if AT&T U-verse ever shows up...we're gone.

P.S. I am posting this at 2:20 AM because my Xfinity service just came back online a half an hour ago after an 1+ hour outage in the wonderful service I pay $250 a month for (the fourth in 3 weeks).

Posted by
Visitor

Message 160 of 285

No, not solved. Comcast please take a look at your subscriber feedback here in this thread and uncheck the 'solved' box.

No one cares for your suggested 'redirection', why don't you simply fix the problem ? 

Posted by
Visitor

Message 161 of 285

Agreed, this is not solved at all.

I did find a workaround with my macbook pro.

Pulled up the movie in my browser on the Xfinity website, used AirPlay to cast it to my Apple TV. Works fine with no restrictions.

Posted by
Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 162 of 285
My Roku is working as well?!!
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 163 of 285

My Starz Play (their original app) has been working flawlessly again. I'm watching Outlander episodes early (including this week's episode, which showed up yesterday!) and all is well at the moment.

If I am offered any other app or upgrade, though, I'm not touching it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  Smiley Happy

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 164 of 285

Somehow my Roku has never updated to the new app, so I am still using the original Starz Play app there ... and except for a two-week period where it did the same thing as it did to you (wanted me to reauthenticate, which then didn't work because Starz is not supported via Xfinity/Comcast on that new app), it has been working all right.

Can you downgrade to the Starz Play app? Somehow mine started working again after about two weeks of not being able to authenticate/re-register. I had griped here in a different thread. I still wonder if Comcast quietly did something to allow that original app to go back to working properly.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 165 of 285
I got another update to the app on my iPhone, and now it simply says "Comcast does not allow Starz login at this time." Special.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 166 of 285

khaleesi wrote:
I got another update to the app on my iPhone, and now it simply says "Comcast does not allow Starz login at this time." Special.

Khaleesi,

Thanks to your post I tried my android app again...no luck...BUT.. I went to my Roku and loaded the app again from there. I then activated through activate.starz.com and in the list of TV provides was now..."Comcast/Xfinity" !!! Now at least the Roku has the app up and running (for now - fingers crossed). Hopefully they'll get the android and Iphone up and running too. BTW, they actually dropped the prices of HBO and Starz in the SF Bay Area to $15 and $10 respectively. Maybe they are feeling the stream pricing.

Posted by
Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 167 of 285
My roku is working too!!!
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 168 of 285

mariasull wrote:
My roku is working too!!!

Let's hurry up and break out the pop-corn before it disappears.Smiley Happy

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 169 of 285

Awesome about Roku. Thanks Comcast for doing the right thing for us. Now do the same for the others, please.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 170 of 285

There are multiple devices that are unable to watch Starz, besides the AppleTV.

My Roku device is unable to watch since Xfinity app does not work on it.

Windows 10 devices.

XBox One.

There are probably a few more. But until this change came along, I had no issues watching Starz. 

Posted by
Contributor

Message 171 of 285

P.S. I am posting this at 2:20 AM because my Xfinity service just came back online a half an hour ago after an 1+ hour outage in the wonderful service I pay $250 a month for (the fourth in 3 weeks).

This is probably due to system maint. Between 12am and 6:30am is the time when they will take down various nodes to repair, upgrade, split, etc as it is the time that impacts the least amount of customers. 

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 172 of 285
Glad to hear about the Rokus, hopefully it's a harbinger of things getting fixed. Haven't had any such luck with my iPhone app that I used on my Chromecast, sadly.
Posted by
Visitor
Message 173 of 285
I can't sign in on my service provider starz anymore and the xfinity app doesn't help because I like to stream on my chrome tv which doesn't have that feature
Posted by
Visitor

Message 174 of 285

And exactly WHY will Comcast/Xfinity not be authenticating on the new Starz app?

Posted by
Visitor

Message 175 of 285

and which moron in the big building in philadelphia made that decision

Posted by
Visitor
Message 176 of 285
Comcast is halting this.. Its nothing on the end of Stars. <br>Why is it you are the only company out there that's not allowing this? Not a good way to retain customers... Anyone who has your service may not be able to get annother cable subscriber but they can **** sure get dish or direct... Both of which do not keep impede the use of the stars app or any other... These are people who are willing subscribers to stsrz and should have use like anyone else.<br>
Posted by
Visitor

Message 177 of 285

What about customers who are legacy video customers only?  I can't get xfinity or comcast as a listed provider trying to view Starz through the app.  Xfinity TV go seems to work.  On T-mobile hotspot, I can't stream the TV GO for free. 

Posted by
Visitor

Message 178 of 285
Still no solution. I want to watch Starz on my Apple TV. PERIOD. It is beyond frustrating that this is not working.

I should not be forced to go into my living room and use the cable box. I should not be forced to use the Xfinity app on a handheld device. I should not be forced to watch from my laptop in bed. I should not be forced to rig a workaround.

As a paying customer I should be entitled to use a service I pay for how I want. I should be granted the same freedom of choice and convenience that other paying customers to this service get from their providers.

What do we PAYING customers have to do to get this matter resolved? Whatever "issue" or failed negotiations are going on between Comcast and Starz, put your big boy pants on and get over it. Fix this for your customers.
Posted by
Networking Expert

Message 179 of 285

Comcast should be ashamed of itself.  Publically they are acting like a 5-year old refusing to share.  As a paying customer, I'm extremely disappointed (ok, angry) with Comcast with yet more evidence of greed and just plain stupidity in the face of growing and viable streaming alternatives.

I have Starxz, HBO, and Showtime, currently.  I watch movies and shows on HBO and Showtime through their streaming apps on Apple TV, with authentication through Comcast.  Works great.  Why is Starz any different?  I already pay for it, after all.  Not for any technical reason.  My sense is the powers that be at Comcast are having a kneejerk reaction to the spread of outside streaming offerings available outside of their monolithic service and at a much more attractive price.

I am so close to cancelling my TV subscription, it's not even funny.  I can get the same shows and movies whenever I want using the streaming services.  And the combined cost of these services is far less than my monthly cable TV bill, which is way out of control.

I've decided that I'm only going to wait until the end of the year for some significant progress in cost reduction, authentication, and ala carte offerings. If not, then come January, I'll be cancelling my cable TV subscription.  I'm sick and tired of these greedy and obstructionist tactics.  While their Internet service has been reasonably priced and reliable (my experience anyway), the same CANNOT be said of the cable TV offering, in spite of mediocre attempts to move into the online arena.

I've put up with this for years because there realy has not been any real alternative.  But that's no longer true and these new streaming services along with what I get from the iTunes Store is now a very viable alternative.  And cheaper.  

I have no idea why Comcast is being as clueless as it is.  I'm sure there are some very smart people there who see the writing on the wall, but it's obvious they are not in charge, or have little to no influence.

Just my two cents...

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 180 of 285

Be23 wrote:
Still no solution. I want to watch Starz on my Apple TV. PERIOD. It is beyond frustrating that this is not working.

I should not be forced to go into my living room and use the cable box. I should not be forced to use the Xfinity app on a handheld device. I should not be forced to watch from my laptop in bed. I should not be forced to rig a workaround.

As a paying customer I should be entitled to use a service I pay for how I want. I should be granted the same freedom of choice and convenience that other paying customers to this service get from their providers.

What do we PAYING customers have to do to get this matter resolved? Whatever "issue" or failed negotiations are going on between Comcast and Starz, put your big boy pants on and get over it. Fix this for your customers.

Help me.  Are you trying to use your Apple TV like I use my mobile devices?  I have iPhones and iPads and I am able to watch all the Starz channels.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Networking Expert

Message 181 of 285

RobertWy wrote:
Help me.  Are you trying to use your Apple TV like I use my mobile devices?  I have iPhones and iPads and I am able to watch all the Starz channels.

Not exactly.  Starz has an Apple TV app which runs on the TV version of IOS.  If you have Starz as part of your cable TV lineup, the app will allow you access to all Starz content in the same way that the HBO GO app does.

I have a great deal of content (music, movies, TV shows) from iTunes Store that is directly available on my Apple TV.  I have full access to HBO and Showtime content, both of which allow current cable subscribers to access their content at their leisure.  But not Starz.  I can load the Starz app, but when I go to authentice, Comcast/Xfinity is conspicuously missing from the list of supported cable services:

at&t

Atlantic

bright house

Charter Spectrum

Cox

DirectTV

Dish Network

Mediacom

Optimum

suddenLink

Time Warner Cable

Verizon

So why do they (Comcast) allow authentication for the HBO and Showtime apps, but not Starz?  Not for any technical reason.  Comcast is clearly testing removing access to these standalone streaming apps, even though their customers already pay for it.  So a customer has to decide whether to pay extra for the streaming subscription on top of the cable bill, live with the restrictions of force-fed scheduled content, or drop Comcast and go streaming fully.  I'm solidly in the drop Comcast camp unless I see some substantive changes in the near future.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Contributor

Message 182 of 285

This is a total net neutrality violation. It's rediculous that every other cable company will authenticate this but you wont. 

I've since cancelled starz on my comcast subscription and subscribed directly to starz via the roku app. 

I recommend you all do the same, as this is just insulting. 

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 183 of 285

Dlaney35 wrote:

This is a total net neutrality violation. It's rediculous that every other cable company will authenticate this but you wont. 

I've since cancelled starz on my comcast subscription and subscribed directly to starz via the roku app. 

I recommend you all do the same, as this is just insulting. 

I think that is what Comcast is hoping you will do.

http://corporate.comcast.com/news-information/news-feed/comcast-and-roku-bring-xfinity-tv-partner-ap...

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Contributor

Message 184 of 285

Comcast is hoping I will stop giving them money and pay Starz, INC. directly, instead? 

You sure about that? I think it's quite the opposite, Comcast is scared that people will see the APP has an associated Starz only subscription login, in addition to a cable login option, that they don't like. Comcast doesn't like that Starz too, is attempting to segregate themselves from the a-typical cable package.

Had comcast allowed the new starz app to authenticate on my ROKU, I'd NOT of cancelled starz on my cable package, and thus, comcast would get more of my money.

Now, due to this poor decision, they get LESS of my money.

I'm sure that computes.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 185 of 285

Unhelpful Post Removed. CIrcumventing Language Filters in Post.

Posted by
Visitor
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 186 of 285

This is ridiculous - How many people do you need to hear from before action is taken?! What sense does it make to alienate tens of thousands of your loyal subscribers over something as simple as giving access to an application for a channel (Starz App authentication via Xfinity) that we are ALREADY paying for via our cable subscription?! Keep this up and I am gone. I'm sure I won't be the only one. Good luck with this BS strategy. 

Posted by
Visitor
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 187 of 285

Language filter was circumvented by not using any bad language. This post merely stated how awful it is to be a Comcast customer. Deleting a post stating such does nothing to improve your customers’ opinions.   

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 188 of 285

Hello everyone,

I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you. All Xfinity customers with a Starz, Encore, or Movieplex subscription will not have access to the new Starz app or Starz.com. You will be able to view the content through our Xfinity TV (xtv.comcast.net) or Xfinity TV Go (tvgo.xfinity.com) websites and mobile apps. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please let us know.

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 189 of 285
So basically there ISN'T going to be a solution to this?! There's no interest in fixing it? Comcast fail to understand that the Xfinity app does not help! You can't use Xfinity app with Chromecast, so that effectively renders it useless unless I'm willing to watch it on the small phone or my PC. Neither of these options are pleasing given the amount of money I spent on my expensive plasma HDTV, never even mind how much paying customers give to Comcast for their Starz subscriptions. I guess that we're all going to have deal with the fact that no solution to this is even being considered, and that we aren't going to be able to use the app.
Posted by
Visitor

Message 190 of 285
Dish or direct is looking better and better. I have 2 accounts and cannot watch my premium channels at my 2nd home on Roku.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 191 of 285

Mariasull,

You should try to install the Staz app on Roku, it works for some of the people here, including me. It does not address your need to watch other Xfinity premium channels on Roku.

I have cancelled my HBO on Xfinity and now pay HBO directly and use the HBOnow app on Roku. Maybe you should try a few of these alternates that do exist. Xfinity's own app is limited in the amount of "on demand" shows v.s. both HBOnow and the STARZ app. They keep saying what is availble on their Xfinity app is equall to the same number of shows on either app...that's not true. Good luck.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 192 of 285
So the xfinity app is coming to Apple TV ?
Posted by
Contributor

Message 193 of 285

Basically, you're saying hey customers, we don't care what you want. 

But, it's ok because, we already know you don't care about your customers. We're YOUR customers. 

The STARZ app itself is of higher quality then Starz via xfinity.tv - per my encoding data, starz on xfinity is only 720p, while the starz app on roku supports 1080p. 

The irony is Comcast is planning an xfinity.tv ROKU app - but, I simply doubt it will work as intended. 

Posted by
Visitor

Message 194 of 285

The Xfinity TV app is awful compared to premium channel options capability. It's not very good either for Xfinity content.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 195 of 285
The truth is Xfinity had been giving away Encore for years. Now that Starz and Encore have merged their online content, an xfinity subscriber who previously only had Encore could all of a sudden have access to Starz content they weren't in a subscription for. What's frustrating about this situation is, it isn't the same content on the app vs Xfinity's on-demand library. The app has more titles.
Posted by
Visitor

Message 196 of 285
Must be even more frustrating for Starz subscribers who should have access to the stars content. Reminds me of when HBO Go came out for Xbox and Xfinity was a huge hold out.

Disappointed and will be revaluating my contract after we move.
Posted by
Visitor

Message 197 of 285

They aren't even consistant across the platforms. I can log in to Starz with Comcast on my Amazon FireTV box, but not on my Kindle. It makes no sense that you can log in via Comcast one way, but not another. 

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 198 of 285

aaa1019 wrote:

They aren't even consistant across the platforms. I can log in to Starz with Comcast on my Amazon FireTV box, but not on my Kindle. It makes no sense that you can log in via Comcast one way, but not another. 

Sounds like a licensing issue.  Or a software development issue.  Maybe Comcast doesn't want to go to the expense of developing a cross-platform version of their software when the calculated revenue wouldn't pay for the effort.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Visitor

Message 199 of 285
This is one of many reasons why I will be discontinuing service with you. Grow up, Comcast
Posted by
Visitor

Message 200 of 285
Comcast is not playing a good game the provider does not want you to use the starz app you are forced to use the Xfinity Go app instead but it does not work for roku clients cause I don't see the app available for roku users.