Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

5,842,657

members

1,274

online

36,263

topics

Top

Star Trek Discovery not available on Xfinity

ANSWERED
New Poster

Star Trek Discovery not available on Xfinity

Does this community know that you pay for Xfinity including CBS, but you won’t be able to watch the new Star Trek series after the premier without signing up for an ADDITIONAL streaming sercice called CBS All Access? Bad deal Xfinity. You should have gotten a blanket subscription for your customers.

Accepted Solution

Re: Star Trek Discovery not available on Xfinity

All,

 

We apologize for the inconvenience you may be experiencing with the new Star Trek Discovery show. Per CBS's official press release:

 

"The series will launch on CBS All Access on Sun. Sept. 24 following the broadcast premiere on the CBS Television Network that night. After premiere night, all new episodes will be available on-demand weekly on Sundays exclusively for CBS All Access subscribers in the U.S. The 15-episode season will be released in two chapters. The first eight episodes will run from Sunday, Sept. 24 through Sunday, Nov. 5. The season will then resume with the second chapter in January 2018."

 

For more information about this CBS decision or to read their full press release on this subject, please see here: https://www.cbspressexpress.com/cbs-all-access/shows/star-trek-discovery/about

 

View answer in context
New Poster

Re: Star Trek Discovery not available on Xfinity

But it shows up on Xfinity channel listing
Gerard Freeman
Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Star Trek Discovery not available on Xfinity


GerardFreeman wrote:
But it shows up on Xfinity channel listing

The first episode or two will be aired on CBS, then only through their pay service.

New Poster

Re: Star Trek Discovery not available on Xfinity

That is disgusting!
I pay alot for XFinity for the sole purpose of being able to watch shows like this.

ESPECIALLY Star Trek - I have been waiting for any reasonable SciFi show to come out since StarGate has ended.
If I need to pay more than the hundreds of dollars I already pay to XFinity to watch Star Trek, then I will be EXTREMELY DISAPOINTED!!!

 

ALSO!!!!    The premier started late!
Some 60Minutes show was on poushing the premier back for 20Minutes - now my DVR is hosed.

But I guess it doesn't matter since the other episodes will not be there?

 

Did I see something about NetFlix possibly showing it?
I do have a subscription to that too.

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Star Trek Discovery not available on Xfinity


SmokinWarclaw wrote:

That is disgusting!
I pay alot for XFinity for the sole purpose of being able to watch shows like this.

ESPECIALLY Star Trek - I have been waiting for any reasonable SciFi show to come out since StarGate has ended.
If I need to pay more than the hundreds of dollars I already pay to XFinity to watch Star Trek, then I will be EXTREMELY DISAPOINTED!!!

 

ALSO!!!!    The premier started late!
Some 60Minutes show was on poushing the premier back for 20Minutes - now my DVR is hosed.

But I guess it doesn't matter since the other episodes will not be there?

 

Did I see something about NetFlix possibly showing it?
I do have a subscription to that too.


Yes, welcome to the future of tv, pay each provider instead of cable. Yes, the show will be on netflix, but only overseas.

 

http://heavy.com/entertainment/2017/09/can-you-watch-star-trek-discovery-on-netflix-time-where/

 

http://ew.com/tv/2017/09/24/star-trek-discovery-how-to-watch/

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Star Trek Discovery not available on Xfinity


SmokinWarclaw wrote:

ALSO!!!!    The premier started late!
Some 60Minutes show was on poushing the premier back for 20Minutes - now my DVR is hosed.



Just set a recording for the show after STrek

New Poster

Re: Star Trek Discovery not available on Xfinity

Yes but look at UPCOMING - no future episodes. 

New Poster

Re: Star Trek Discovery not available on Xfinity

Apparently, Netflix access is only outside U.S.  Is the world mad at us or something?

New Poster

Re: Star Trek Discovery not available on Xfinity

Yeah, this is crazy dumb. <Edited for vilating forum guidelines: "Inflammatory">. If they were going to launch a premium channel, they should have just done so a year ago and NOT named it CBS access! That name comes with too much history of free access, so the barrier to thinking of CBS as a pay channel is just too high. And launching it concurrently with a show everybody wants to see makes no sense. I guess the marketplace will determine if CBS made a good bet or not. For now I'm boycotting ALL CBS shows, so their advertisers just lost access to me. I had the recording set for the "series", but now I'm not going to watch it at all.

 

It is getting perilously close to sensible for many of us to can cable and switch to ala carte channel access like Amazon is selling. 

Booo. Was so stoked for Michelle Yeoh.

New Poster

Re: Star Trek Discovery not available on Xfinity

CBS all Access was launched over a year and a half ago. If you're smart, wait til all the episodes are released and sign up for the week trial.

New Poster

Re: Star Trek Discovery not available on Xfinity


Lisazak1 wrote:

Does this community know that you pay for Xfinity including CBS, but you won’t be able to watch the new Star Trek series after the premier without signing up for an ADDITIONAL streaming sercice called CBS All Access? Bad deal Xfinity. You should have gotten a blanket subscription for your customers.


No cable company has that type of agreement with CBS. No one would make that deal, especially for just one show.

New Poster

Re: Star Trek Discovery not available on Xfinity

Yes BUT..... The big caveat is that cable customers are used to online access to channels being free if you are already paying for it on cable, so didn't necessarily notice that it was pay channel:  HBO, Showtime and STARZ being premium examples, And, no one feels like we get the old broadcast channels for "free" on cable, because ASmiley Happy cable is stupid expensive as it is, and BSmiley Happy we sill watch commercials on all but the premium channels.

 

Will. Never. Pay. For. CBS.

 

Unless they trick me into it, of course.

New Poster

Re: Star Trek Discovery not available on Xfinity

I couldn't even watch the first episode. Since I was not going to be home when it was scheduled to air I set my DVR to record the show. When I tried to watch it this morning there was some liberal talk show on with Oprah and I fast forwarded through about 20 minutes and the show NEVER showed up. Couldn't even find it on ON DEMAND. Xfinity - <Edited for violating forum guidelines: "Inflammatory">

New Poster

Re: Star Trek Discovery not available on Xfinity

It's O.K. dont pay.  I watched the 1st episode and it <Edited for violating forum guidelines: "Language"> anyway! Overdone and repetitive!

New Poster

Re: Star Trek Discovery not available on Xfinity

Oh well. One less thing I have to watch ;-)
New Poster

Re: Star Trek Discovery not available on Xfinity

Comcast this is an outrage. Why do we have to pay MORE to get the new Star Trek!!! We already pay way too much for 80% of the XFinity programs you make us pay for and never watch. YOU need to pay for the EXTRA money that CBS is extorting from us for the new Star Trek.

Step up to the plate and make your customers happy! What's up with that!!!!!!!!!

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Star Trek Discovery not available on Xfinity


xs3 wrote:

Comcast this is an outrage. Why do we have to pay MORE to get the new Star Trek!!! We already pay way too much for 80% of the XFinity programs you make us pay for and never watch. YOU need to pay for the EXTRA money that CBS is extorting from us for the new Star Trek.

Step up to the plate and make your customers happy! What's up with that!!!!!!!!!


As has been mentioned, Comcast has no control over this. The same goes for all the other cable and satelite services. Yell at CBS, not Comcast. They, just like more and more networks, are moving to stand-alone streaming networks. Disney is moving their movies and probably some shows to their own service soon, for example. In a few years, regular TV will be nothing, and you will have to have a zillion $5-10 monthly subscriptions to watch anything, and end up paying more than what you are paying for TV now.

New Poster

Re: Star Trek Discovery not available on Xfinity

The first episode on demand dvr is cut last 18 minutes off and now its not on demand!!!! Wow that's awful...pay a lot for cable and they want even more!!   Been trek fan since Kirk had hair but I am paying any more to watch new series.  Even though it looks pretty good. 

 

New Poster

Re: Star Trek Discovery not available on Xfinity

I just attempted to watch tonight and I'm disappointed with how this is been arranged I mean I've play premium price for Comcast Xfinity and I'm really disappointed that I can't watch the new Star Trek series I've been waiting for so long and you're asking me for more money that's disgusting
Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Star Trek Discovery not available on Xfinity


Toneman1 wrote:
I just attempted to watch tonight and I'm disappointed with how this is been arranged I mean I've play premium price for Comcast Xfinity and I'm really disappointed that I can't watch the new Star Trek series I've been waiting for so long and you're asking me for more money that's disgusting

Comcast isn't asking you for more money, CBS is asking you to pay them instead of comcast. CBS chose to limit the show to their pay service, comcast can't control this.

New Poster

Re: Star Trek Discovery not available on Xfinity

This is gouging the viewer I mean I pay hundreds of dollars for premium channels on at Comcast and I can't watch the new Star Trek series this is a shame we pay so much for cable and now it's becoming Pay to view and the subscriptions for viewing or all over the place it's no longer a centralized which is a inconvenience for me and I suspect others as well this is a very sad day that it's come to this all they want is their money cables not enough anymore
Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Star Trek Discovery not available on Xfinity


Toneman1 wrote:
This is gouging the viewer I mean I pay hundreds of dollars for premium channels on at Comcast and I can't watch the new Star Trek series this is a shame we pay so much for cable and now it's becoming Pay to view and the subscriptions for viewing or all over the place it's no longer a centralized which is a inconvenience for me and I suspect others as well this is a very sad day that it's come to this all they want is their money cables not enough anymore

There have been series that are only available through netfix and not cable for at least 5 years.

New Poster

Re: Star Trek Discovery not available on Xfinity

For as much money we pay for cable, this is totally disgusting and unacceptable customer service.  BOO to Xfinity and CBS.

New Poster

Re: Star Trek Discovery not available on Xfinity

Show did cut off before i finished watching and I was disappointed, but I realize it was a CBS misstep. Having searched online to find out why it isn't available On Demand, I discovered an article about the Star Trek Discovery cast making a political statement by taking a knee. Now, I would not watch it anyway. The little I did see was underwhelming, so I expect the series will fail anyway and I am glad I didn't waste anymore time on watching actors that offend me.
New Poster

Re: Star Trek Discovery not available on Xfinity

I switched to XFinity this week and was looking forward to the new Star Trek: Discovery series.  What a disapointment.  After recording the first episode on my FIOS DVR - without an extra charge, it looks like recommendations for Comcast service may be associated with a caveat for SciFi fans.

 

Administrator
Administrator

Re: Star Trek Discovery not available on Xfinity

All,

 

We apologize for the inconvenience you may be experiencing with the new Star Trek Discovery show. Per CBS's official press release:

 

"The series will launch on CBS All Access on Sun. Sept. 24 following the broadcast premiere on the CBS Television Network that night. After premiere night, all new episodes will be available on-demand weekly on Sundays exclusively for CBS All Access subscribers in the U.S. The 15-episode season will be released in two chapters. The first eight episodes will run from Sunday, Sept. 24 through Sunday, Nov. 5. The season will then resume with the second chapter in January 2018."

 

For more information about this CBS decision or to read their full press release on this subject, please see here: https://www.cbspressexpress.com/cbs-all-access/shows/star-trek-discovery/about

 



Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Xfinity Events:
WATCHATHON 2018... See More
Discussion stats