Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Silverlight plugin crashing

Frequent Visitor

Silverlight plugin crashing

Silverlight Plugin crashes with Chrome sersion 22.0.1229.79 m and Internet Explorer 9.0.10 when I attempt to watch any streaming content on xfinitytv.  The commercials that precede the show play fine but the plugin crashes after the TV rating appears in the upper left corner.  

I have no problems with other video content on the Internet such as Youtube or Netflix.  

I attempted to uninstall Silverlight, reboot and then installed Silverlight again when prompted on the xfinity page.  This did not work.  

I attempted installing an older version of Silverlight as suggest here: http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-Website/Microsoft-silverlight-keeps-crashing/m-p/1345209/high...

I was required to install an updated version when I tried to view content on xfinitytv.  The plugin still crashes.   

I have run the Easy Solve utility provided by Comcast with no change.  

http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/computer shows the following info:

My Device Information My Zip Code: 19103 My Cable Provider: Recommended By Comcast My myDVR Manager Status: Activated My Set Top Box Names: Living Room My Queue setup: False Facebook Queue Syncing: False Facebook Connect: True My public IP address: 69.243.179.147 My operating system: Windows - Undefined My web browser: Chrome 22 - Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.4 (KHTML, Like Gecko) Chrome/22.0.1229.79 Safari/537.4 My system type: Desktop Computer Or Other Device My Move player version: Not Installed My Silverlight version: 5.1.10516.0 My flash version: 11.3 R31 Javascript: Enabled Cookies: Enabled (3084 Bytes) Time Information My Clock Time: Tue Oct 09 2012 22:36:28 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time) Server Clock Time: Tue Oct 09 2012 22:36:35 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

My Account Information Primary Account: True Provider Codes: S, Bi, Bj, Bq, Ce, Cd, Cf, Aw, Ar, Cg, Au, Bv, B, U, C, Br, Bt, H, Ad, Bw, D, Al, Bh, Ci, A, Y, Bx, Bb, Bc, Bu, By, Bs, At, Cb, Ch, Bz, Bm, Bl, Bp, Cj, Bo, Cc, F, M, Bn Internet Subscriber: True Cable TV Subscriber: True Voice Subscriber: True
This info doesn't seem entirely correct.   My zipcode is 47203. My operating system is Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 I don't know that if it's relevant but my computer has 16.0 GB of RAM CPU is AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3.20 GHz The C:\ drive has 43.2 GB free of 109 GB.   The Event Viewer has the following Application Errors
Faulting application name: chrome.exe, version: 22.0.1229.79, time stamp: 0x50616671
Faulting module name: coreclr.dll, version: 5.1.10516.0, time stamp: 0x4fb318ee
Exception code: 0x8013150a
Fault offset: 0x000475eb
Faulting process id: 0xda0
Faulting application start time: 0x01cda68b2907b299
Faulting application path: C:\Users\ERIC\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Silverlight\5.1.10516.0\coreclr.dll
Report Id: 72d73a48-127e-11e2-89e5-005056c00008

Faulting application name: iexplore.exe, version: 9.0.8112.16450, time stamp: 0x503723f6
Faulting process id: 0xe44
Faulting application start time: 0x01cda68ae4c749a1
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Silverlight\5.1.10516.0\coreclr.dll
Report Id: 4cd91103-127e-11e2-89e5-005056c00008

Any additional info requried? 

Tags (1)
Official Employee

Re: Silverlight plugin crashing

What specific videos are you trying to watch?

Are you attempting to watch it in full screen?

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Frequent Visitor

Doctor Who, "The Power of Three" crashes, as do any of the other Doctor Who episodes I try.  

Falling Skies, "Love and Other Acts of Courage" also crashes.  

Revolution, "Pilot" and Castle, "Secret's Safew With Me" both play. 

I am not watching in full screen. 

Official Employee

stevenson3 wrote:

Doctor Who, "The Power of Three" crashes, as do any of the other Doctor Who episodes I try.  

Falling Skies, "Love and Other Acts of Courage" also crashes.  

Revolution, "Pilot" and Castle, "Secret's Safew With Me" both play. 

I am not watching in full screen. 

We are having some issues with Doctor Who right now. Go here for more information:

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-Website/Doctor-Who-missing-episodes-and-out-of-order/td-p/143...

Revolution and Castle use the Adobe Flash Player. So your Flash Player is fine.

Your issue is with Silverlight and specifically Falling Skies. I tested the video and found no issues.

Try using a different web browser and let me know if it works. This is not a permanent solution but it will help us narrow down your issue.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Frequent Visitor

Chrome and Internet Explorer still don't work.  Add Firefox to the list.  (Opera doesn't seem to be supported because I just see a message stating that the xfinity player needs to be installed.)  I'm not going to bother with Safari.  

Official Employee

stevenson3 wrote:

Chrome and Internet Explorer still don't work.  Add Firefox to the list.  (Opera doesn't seem to be supported because I just see a message stating that the xfinity player needs to be installed.)  I'm not going to bother with Safari.  

Do you have any pop-up or ad blockers installed? If so, try disabling them and then try again. They may be conflicting with your Silverlight player.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Frequent Visitor

I disabled pop-up blockers and all other add-ons in IE.  When I started to watch Doctor Who the browser crashed. 

Faulting application name: iexplore.exe, version: 9.0.8112.16450, time stamp: 0x503723f6
Faulting process id: 0x444
Faulting application start time: 0x01cda7295927252f
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
Report Id: af1f4829-131c-11e2-8cf4-005056c00008
Official Employee

stevenson3 wrote:

I disabled pop-up blockers and all other add-ons in IE.  When I started to watch Doctor Who the browser crashed.

How are you uninstalling Silverlight?

When you have been uninstalling it, you may have not been uninstalling it properly and corrupted files may still be on your computer.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
New Poster

Control Panel/programs and features/uninstall. How else would I uninstall it? I am the local admin on my machine.

Frequent Visitor

lizzcooper, please don't hijack this thread.  

ComcastJoe, Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Microsoft Silverlight, right click and Uninstall.  

Official Employee

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Frequent Visitor

I ran the FixIt and then installed Silverlight from the link provided on the same page the FixIt can be found.  When I attempted to watch Doctor Who the page said that Silverlight needed to be updated.  After the update the video started (and then then Internet Explorer crashed. 

Official Employee

stevenson3 wrote:

I ran the FixIt and then installed Silverlight from the link provided on the same page the FixIt can be found.  When I attempted to watch Doctor Who the page said that Silverlight needed to be updated.  After the update the video started (and then then Internet Explorer crashed. 

Please go to www.xfinitytv.com/computer again and tell me what version of Silverlight you have installed/

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Frequent Visitor

My Silverlight version:5.1.10516.0

New Poster

I'm using Windows 7I've run into the same problem and was able to work around the problemI've found that I'm able to get things working properly by installing the latest version of Firefox, installing the latest version of flash player, and downgrading Silverlight to version 4.1There seem to be problems with using Silverlight version 5 and problems with using IE browsers (which suck for many other reasons).

Comcast customer support is useless (sorry Joe but it's true) ; hopefully you'll find this helpful and they'll wake up.

http://www.silverlight.net/downloads ( you need to uninstall version 5 before installing version 4)
http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all.html
http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Frequent Visitor

I still have no resolution to this.  Add Talking Dead and The Walking Dead to the list of shows I can't watch online.  I have the problem on several computers. 

Official Employee

stevenson3 wrote:

I still have no resolution to this.  Add Talking Dead and The Walking Dead to the list of shows I can't watch online.  I have the problem on several computers. 

Are these other computers on the same network? Are they all Windows 7 64-bit machines?

Is Service Pack 1 installed on your Windows 7 machine?

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation