New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Silverlight Plug-in crashing in Macs when full screen

ANSWERED
New Poster

Silverlight Plug-in crashing in Macs when full screen

I'm on a mac using safari, I am watching tv programs just fine in full screen mode until there is a commercial. Then most of the time nothing happens and I get a "Plug-in Failure" message in the middle of the page, not it's own error message, but in the middle of where the video window would be.

Sometimes if I don't watch the program in full screen mode the commercials will load and play with very long delays between commercial spots.  I don't understand why because the programs are loading and playing just fine.

I'm currently trying/stuck after one segment of Project Runway, "A Times Square Anniversary Party" but this happened on Leverage and Falling Skies episodes last week and the week before.

Accepted Solution

Re: Silverlight Plug-in crashing in Macs when full screen

Hi all,

The version of Silverlight you are using crashes when in full screen on a Mac. Please uninstall version 5.1.10516.0 and click the link below to install version 4.0.603310.0.

Silverlight 4 for Mac users

Let me know if the issue is still occurring with version 4.0.603310.0. I could no longer duplicate the issue.

Thank you for your patience and sorry for the inconvenience,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe

View answer in context
Tags (1)
New Poster

Re: "Plug-in Failure"

Having the same problem.  Unistalled and reinstalled silverlight.  Still getting the plug-in failure message after the commercials.  I've tried refreshing the page and in most cases it just goes into a commercial loop indeffinately.  After the reinsall I tried refreshing when I got the plug-in failure message.  I just let it play thrugh a bunch of commercials and the video started up.  Thats not working this time.  Really frustrating I must say.  Hopefully you'll get an answer soon.  

FYI - Mac/Lion using safari.  Trying to watch "Perception".

Tags (1)
Official Employee

Hi all,

I can duplicate this issue and our team is further looking into this. I will update you when it is fixed.

Joe

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Official Employee

Hi all,

What version of Silverlight are you using? Please go to http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/computer and it will tell you. 

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
New Poster

I am having the same problem and after refreshing once the failure happens I have to watch 10 minutes of commercials. Silverlight v. 5.1.10516.0 it was a required update that I couldn't play the video without.

New Poster

My silverlight crashes as well... Here is the version:

Calling into tech support has not helped, as the person didn't even know what silverlight was & she hated mac.

New Poster

My Silverlight version:5.1.10516.0

New Poster

I'm having the same issue.

New Poster

Mac Plug-in failure while streaming

The last few weeks have been challenging because I can't stream on XfinityTV.com for longer than 20 minutes before I get a "plug-in failure" message that requires me to reload the page, watch 15 minutes of commercials, 5 minutes of the program and plug-in failure again.  I've updated the silverlight and flash player plugins and restarted my computer on Aug 19 and it doesn't seem to make a difference for this issue, nor does it make a difference if I use Safari, Firefox or Google Chrome.  They all crash while streaming XfinityTV.com, but they don't crash while streaming Hulu.com.  Please help!

Official Employee

Hi all,

The version of Silverlight you are using crashes when in full screen on a Mac. Please uninstall version 5.1.10516.0 and click the link below to install version 4.0.603310.0.

Silverlight 4 for Mac users

Let me know if the issue is still occurring with version 4.0.603310.0. I could no longer duplicate the issue.

Joe

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
New Poster

Re: Mac Plug-in failure while streaming

yes

New Poster

This fix did not work for me.  When I try to watch a video I get promted to download the newest verison of silverlight...

Official Employee

mluecken wrote:

This fix did not work for me.  When I try to watch a video I get promted to download the newest verison of silverlight...

Please go to www.xfinitytv.com/computer and copy the information you see on-screen and paste it in this thread so we can further assist you.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
New Poster

I deleted everything silverlight I could find so I could install the older version, but now it won't install the older version because it says a newer version "has been found".  I have no idea where or how to get rd of it, but it also won't reinstall the newer version.

I have a computer literate friend I'm bringing my macbook to who should be able to help me, but seriously this is ridiculous.

My operating system:Mac - UndefinedMy web browser:Safari 6 - Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_7_4) AppleWebKit/536.25 (KHTML, Like Gecko) Version/6.0 Safari/536.25My system typeesktop Computer Or Other DeviceMy Move player version:Not InstalledMy Silverlight version:UnknownMy flash version:11.3 R300Javascript:EnabledCookies:Enabled

Official Employee

kt00 wrote:

I deleted everything silverlight I could find so I could install the older version, but now it won't install the older version because it says a newer version "has been found".  I have no idea where or how to get rd of it, but it also won't reinstall the newer version.

I have a computer literate friend I'm bringing my macbook to who should be able to help me, but seriously this is ridiculous.

My operating system:Mac - UndefinedMy web browser:Safari 6 - Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_7_4) AppleWebKit/536.25 (KHTML, Like Gecko) Version/6.0 Safari/536.25My system typeesktop Computer Or Other DeviceMy Move player version:Not InstalledMy Silverlight version:UnknownMy flash version:11.3 R300Javascript:EnabledCookies:Enabled

There may still be some hidden files on your Mac with Silverlight files that need to be removed. Try un-hiding all files and see if they appear:

1) To show hidden files, open the Terminal and enter: 

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES

then hit Return/Enter  

2) Navigate to ~/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/ and drag the Silverlight folder into your trash
3) Navigate to ~/Library/Preferences/ and drag the com.microsoft.silverlight.plist file to your trash
4) Empty the trash
5) Hide your hidden files again by opening the Terminal and entering:

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles NO

then hit Return/Enter 

6) Restart your computer
7) Reinstall Silverlight from here

8) Try watching a video again

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
New Poster

Dear ComcastJoe, 

That is, without a doubt, the worst troubleshooting I've ever seen from a so called support technician. Never mind that the user flat out told you she was not able to uninstall or reinstall the files herself, your support suggestions were so completely wrong you might as well have told her to plug her mouse into the toaster and try to reset the power on her lawn chair. In a stunning 2 for 1 I'll not only fix the user's problem but also educate you on the finer points of how to provide Mac Tech support. 

Since you, and by the sounds of it your entire support department, don't have a mac to work on let me fill you in on WHY people are unable to uninstall or simply overwrite the current Silverlight build. Microsoft has included a little receipt file that gets hidden away deep within the system. Try This:

1. Quit all open browsers. If any are open this will not work. Copy and paste these instructions into a text file. Use TextEdit or Word.

2. Click on Go in the top menu in Finder.

3. Choose Computer.

4. Open the hard drive, it's probably labeled Macintosh HD.

5. Open the Library.

6. Go to Internet Plug-ins.

7. Drag Silverlight.plugin and WPFe.plugin (when this file is there) to the Trash on the dock.

8. Go back to the (Hard Drive) Library folder.

9. Open the Application Support folder.

10. Open the Microsoft folder.

11. Move the Silverlight folder if it is there to the trash.

12. Move the PlayReady folder if it is there to the trash as well.

13. Go back to the (Hard Drive) Library folder.

14. Open the Receipts folder.

15. Look for the Silverlight.pkg, Silverlight_W2_MIX.pkg and WPFe.pkg files and move them to the trash.

16. then Click Go al hold down the alt/Option key on your keyboard and select Library. This will take you to the User library and verify that all the files listed above are gone from there as well.

16. If you are using Snow Leopard (10.6), Lion (10.7) or Mountain Lion (10.8) perform these steps as well because the Recepits folder has been MOVED and this is what is telling you that Silverlight is still installed on your system even though you've done everything that Comcast Joe could copy and paste from a 3 year old Comcast Document that addressed 10.5,

1. In the Finder, click Go, and then click Go to Folder.

2. Type the following text in the Go to the folder box:

/private/var/db/receipts

3. Click Go.

4. Drag to the Trash all receipts that start with "com.microsoft.installSilverlightPlugin", you will be prompted for your Admin password when you move files from this location to the Trash.

17. Click on Go.

18. Choose Home.

19. Open the Library folder.

20. Open the Preferences folder.

21. Look for the com.microsoft.silverlight.plist, com.microsoft.SilverlightPlugin.loader.plist and com.microsoft.playready.plist files and move them to the trash.

22. Go back to the (Home) Library folder.

23. Open Application Support.

24. Open Microsoft.

25. Move the Silverlight folder to the trash when it is there.

26. Check your Trash to make sure there is nothing you want to keep then empty your Trash.

27. Restart your Mac.

Oh and Joe, one last thing: There are MANY sites out there that use Silverlight. If you and your ilk want to keep directing users to install old versions or "patched" versions that I see referenced on here you are going to break all the rest of those sites for your users. Stop sacrificing other websites becuase your company can't be bothered to keep up with Microsoft's development cycle. 

tl;dr: Your tech support is bad, you should feel bad. 

New Poster

Thanks voodoo!  :

"Oh and Joe, one last thing: There are MANY sites out there that use Silverlight. If you and your ilk want to keep directing users to install old versions or "patched" versions that I see referenced on here you are going to break all the rest of those sites for your users. Stop sacrificing other websites becuase your company can't be bothered to keep up with Microsoft's development cycle. "

New Poster

still not working

Contributor

Same problem here.  Never have a problem with hulu.  Maybe you guys should drop silverlight.  Looks like its always from tnt or amc.

New Poster

I WANT TO WATCH JASON VS FREDDY I AM SORRY I PUT ABLOCK ON CAN ERASE IT AND WATCH MOVIES

Regular Visitor

I am having similar issues and gettign playback error messages. I have to continually (after each episode) dump the cash and restart xfinity.  Further Silverlight seems to fail and xfinity continually asks me to complete my setup and install silverlight even though it has been installed multiple times. i have deleted an reinstalled 3 tumes tonight just to complete my online TV program.

New Poster

Been having the same problem, and have tried everything. Final solution, I gave up! It is clear that Comcast don't take IPTV seriously enough to find a solution. There are plenty of companies that can povide quality video management and delivery solutions if Comcast can't develop their own.

New Poster

I also  am having the same problem.  I called Comcast tech support and then they referred me to Apple.  I talked to Apple and they had me uninstall and reinstall  silverlight.  It worked for 1 day andthen again like most others only watched a little bit and then it went out.  Comcast should fix this or give everyone a credit.

These are my codes:

My Zip Code: 94122 My Cable Provider: Not Installed My myDVR Manager Status: Activated My Set Top Box Names: DVR 1 My Queue setup: False Facebook Queue Syncing: False Facebook Connect: False My public IP address: 107.3.190.243 My operating system: Mac - Undefined My web browser: Safari 6 - Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_7_4) AppleWebKit/536.25 (KHTML, Like Gecko) Version/6.0 Safari/536.25 My system type: Desktop Computer Or Other Device My Move player version: Not Installed My Silverlight version: 5.1.10516.0 My flash version: 11.4 R402 Javascript: Enabled Cookies: Enabled (2593 Bytes) Time Information My Clock Time: Sat Oct 13 2012 17:11:30 GMT-0700 (PDT) Server Clock Time: Sat Oct 13 2012 17:11:27 GMT-0700 (PDT)

My Account Information Primary Account: True Provider Codes: Bi, Bj, Bq, Ce, Cd, Cf, Bv, B, C, Cm, Bw, A, Bu, By, Bs, At, Cb, Ch, Bm, Bl, Bo, Cc, Bn Internet Subscriber: True Cable TV Subscriber: True Voice Subscriber: True Maria