Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Seeking detailed explanation of 'streaming'. Does reading on the internet count as streaming?

New Poster

Seeking detailed explanation of 'streaming'. Does reading on the internet count as streaming?

I went to Comcast yesterday, because I'd tried to set up automatic payments, and then just one payment, and discovered that the terms of service for both options require me to agree to their statement which essentially says 'if we screw you, we're not liable': 

" 6. COMCAST SHALL BEAR NO LIABILITY OR RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY LOSSES OF ANY KIND THAT YOU MAY INCUR AS A RESULT OF A PAYMENT MADE ON ITEMS INCORRECTLY BILLED OR FOR ANY DELAY IN THE ACTUAL DATE ON WHICH YOUR ACCOUNT IS DEBITED OR YOUR CREDIT CARD IS CHARGED."  I couldn't agree with that.

While there I sought more details about what counts as streaming, and was told that reading pages count as streaming, that playing downloaded videos with an active internet connection still counts as streaming (messed up in my mind) but playing them with the internet disconnected does not.

Can anyone provide extensive and clear details of Comcast's pricing policies specifically relating to streaming?

Is there any better 'tracker' that the nonsense one they offer which just shows the cumulative usage they claim, without any details such as date and time of use, that would let me verify their claims.

All help appreciated!

Official Employee

Re: Seeking detailed explanation of 'streaming'. Does reading on the internet count as streaming?

Hi Pawn1, 

Sorry you feel that way about the terms and conditions of our service agreement. All data usage delivered over your home XFINITY Internet service, both downloaded and uploaded, is counted towards your data plan, regardless of the source.

For example, all Internet-based video streaming and download services, including Internet-delivered programming available through www.xfinity.com/stream and XFINITY apps, is included in the calculation of monthly usage. XFINITY TV and XFINITY Voice services that are not delivered over the Internet and are not received by you using your XFINITY Internet service do not count.

Any device that is connected to the network would send some amount of data over the network. If you are playing a single player game, but the console is connected to the Internet sending and receiving data in regards to your "Online Status". When you are viewing a webpage, you are downloading the data information which would also count towards the data usage. 

More information could be found by visiting https://dataplan.xfinity.com/faq.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Seeking detailed explanation of 'streaming'. Does reading on the internet count as streaming?

ComcastChe wrote:

Hi Pawn1, 

Sorry you feel that way about the terms and conditions of our service agreement. All data usage delivered over your home XFINITY Internet service, both downloaded and uploaded, is counted towards your data plan, regardless of the source.

For example, all Internet-based video streaming and download services, including Internet-delivered programming available through www.xfinity.com/stream and XFINITY apps, is included in the calculation of monthly usage. XFINITY TV and XFINITY Voice services that are not delivered over the Internet and are not received by you using your XFINITY Internet service do not count.

Any device that is connected to the network would send some amount of data over the network. If you are playing a single player game, but the console is connected to the Internet sending and receiving data in regards to your "Online Status". When you are viewing a webpage, you are downloading the data information which would also count towards the data usage. 

More information could be found by visiting https://dataplan.xfinity.com/faq.

When streaming on home network using the xf streaming website or app is not internet data.

Do the XFINITY Stream app or portal use data?
When connected to your in-home XFINITY network, video programming is delivered to the XFINITY Stream app and portal over Comcast's cable system, not over the Internet - just like all of the XFINITY programming delivered to your TV. Therefore, using the XFINITY Stream app or portal in your home will not use XFINITY Internet and will not count towards any XFINITY Internet data usage plan that may apply.

Source: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfinity-tv-go-app-retirement

Xfinity Events:
WATCHATHON 2018... See More
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation