Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Scheduling recording on dvr from computer

Regular Visitor

Scheduling recording on dvr from computer

I had to get a new computer and now when I try to record tv shows from the xfinity listings it shows that I do not have a compatible device. I have 2 dvrs that I have always recorded from my computer. I called and the girl had no idea what I was talking about. I sent an e-mail and have not heard back from anyone. Any suggestions?

Tags (1)
Official Employee

Re: Scheduling recording on dvr from computer

racrosby1 wrote:

I had to get a new computer and now when I try to record tv shows from the xfinity listings it shows that I do not have a compatible device. I have 2 dvrs that I have always recorded from my computer. I called and the girl had no idea what I was talking about. I sent an e-mail and have not heard back from anyone. Any suggestions?

You getting a new computer should have no bearing on the DVR Manager not working since it is signing into your account.

Did you recently move or get new equipment from Comcast?

What operating system and web browser are you using?

Thanks,

Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Regular Visitor

I am using windows 7 and internet explorer. I don't have any new comcast equipment but I was using Vista on the old computer.

Official Employee

racrosby1 wrote:

I am using windows 7 and internet explorer. I don't have any new comcast equipment but I was using Vista on the old computer.

What is the make and model of your DVR? Also, is it currently hooked up and working?

Are you using a Business or Residential account?

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Regular Visitor

We have model DCT3416 I. We have both a business and personal account, but our internet is through the personal account. The cable box and recorder work perfectly except setting recordings from my computer. I am signing in exactly as I always have. When I set this up, I do remember having the same problem with my computer recognizing that we had two devices that will record, but I don't know how we remedied that problem.

Contributor

What day did this start?  My DVR manager was working splendidly for months (programming from my Computer).  I've made no changes but it decided to stop working on the evening of the 3rd of October.  If I schedule a recording it says something about when it connects to the DVR then it will record and those shows are grayed out.  They aren't listed on the actual DVR when I look at the TV.  I can still program the DVR at the TV and the show displays on my DVR manager in bold text I just can't schedule anymore from my computer.  I had a tech out on the 4th and he didn't even know what DVR manager was until I showed him and showed him how to use it.  He did nothing to fix it and said he would have me escalated to Dallas (whatever that means) and I would get a call within 24 hours.  Of course that didn't happen.  I've got another tech coming out tomorrow.  I just can't believe that after using it for several months they would suddenly take it away.

Regular Visitor

I got my computer on Oct. 1st and it was probably around the 3rd or 4th before I tried to program anything. It says that I have the service available but that I don't have a device. It doesn't look like the programing capabilities changed, just that it can't find mine, I guess. I have no idea. I called and spoke to a lady who didn't have a clue what I was talking about. It has been frustrating.

Contributor

It is very frustrating when you try and explain and half the employees don't even know what services they offer.  And we KNOW we have it in our market because it was working for months.  I was wondering if there were a problem with my actual box but now I am not so sure.  I am wondering if it is my area.  I am in Brunswick, Georgia.  Is that anywhere near you?  I can post tomorrow after the tech comes out again and let you know what happens but I am losing faith.

Regular Visitor

I am in Franklin, TN so we're not in the same area. I would appreciate it if you would let me know what the tech says when they come.

Official Employee

racrosby1 wrote:

I am in Franklin, TN so we're not in the same area. I would appreciate it if you would let me know what the tech says when they come.

Your account is showing that you have no boxes. 

Try unplugging your box for a minute or so and then plug it back in.

I suggest you do this before you leave the house or before you go to bed. It takes some time for the grid to fully load and for the cable box to fully sync back up again.

After you have done this, please try again and let me know the results.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Contributor

Tech just left.  He checked to make sure I had the correct box (of course I do since it worked up till last week) and made sure the caller ID works.  He checked the signal and said it is good.  Said since the caller ID works the problem is on their end.  He called his supervisor who told him to open a ticket with some other guy.  When he called the other guy he was out until Thursday.  But the woman he talked to (he was on speaker) didn't even have a clue what DVR Manager is which is rather sad.  You would think if they are supposed to be in a higher tech position they should know their product.  My tech called his supervisor back and the guy saw where the guy last week was supposed to have elevated it to Denver and I should have gotten a call back.  When I told him "No" he didn't know why.  So... now the tech is gone. Admits the problem is on Comcast/Xfinity's end.  (At least this tech knew what DVR manager is).  And his supervisor is supposed to call me tomorrow sometime around lunchtime.  Guess I have to wait and see, now.  It's bad when they get us spoiled on something then don't know how to fix it.

Regular Visitor

I tried unplugging and plugging back in and it still is not working. From other responses, it sounds like calling a tech to come help will not do any good. Any other suggestions?

Official Employee

racrosby1 wrote:

I tried unplugging and plugging back in and it still is not working. From other responses, it sounds like calling a tech to come help will not do any good. Any other suggestions?

Thank you for the information your provided us and sorry for the inconvenience. Our team is further looking into your account and someone will reach out to you shortly.

Thank you for your patience,

Joe

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation