Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

SOLUTION for "cannot access premium content (Showtime/HBO)" issue.

New Poster

SOLUTION for "cannot access premium content (Showtime/HBO)" issue.

Very, very simple fix!

If you pay for premium (HBO/SHOWTIME) content with Comcast and have recently found yourself logging into Xfinity TV to watch your shows, only to encounter orange locked/key buttons and a request that you "subscribe" instead of the familiar green "PLAY" buttons, just follow these steps:

1. Log into Comcast Customer Central (the normal login to manage your account).

2. Go to: http://xfinity.comcast.net/profile/

3. Look to the right of the page (you may have to scroll down) under a box with the header "Devices & Diagnostics."

4. Scroll down within that box and click on the link called "Authorized PC devices."

5. You will see the following message: "In order to protect your account from abuse, there is a 3 device limit per Comcast Digital Cable subscription. Please manage your devices below. Removed devices can be added again upon next use."

6. When I navigated to this page, I discovered that the "3 devices" listed were ALL MY ONE SAME DEVICE I've been using to access my premium content (Showtime / HBO) online. Xfinity was not recognizing my various logins from the same device (my Mac) as such---but instead recognizing each subsequent login as a "new device." Apparently clearing the cache, etc. does not fix this.

7. I simply clicked "REMOVE" for all "three devices" (actually just my one device, but listed as "three devices" from three separate logins), thus completely clearing the list and thereby removing the block triggered by Xfinity's aforementioned "3 device limit."

8. I then logged out completely, cleared my cache just to be sure, launched Firefox again, accessed Xfinity TV online and guess what? Those annoying orange "locked" buttons have been replaced with pretty green "play" buttons once again, and I can watch my premium content online.

-----

This fixes it, I am telling you. This is definitely it. There is a glitch, and I guarantee you you guys all have "3 devices" (possibly from actually reaching your 3 device limit, but possibly also just from multiple logins from a single device) listed in this section of your account. Once you hit the "3 limit," Comcast locks you out of premium content on what it seems to be perceiving as "any device beyond your 3 device limit."

Delete these "3 devices" (as it says, you effectively add them back when you log in again, so deleting can do no harm), log out, clear your cache, close and reopen your browser, and then log back in again: problem 100% solved. Enjoy your HBO and/or Showtime content! 

New Poster

Re: SOLUTION for "cannot access premium content (Showtime/HBO)" issue.

This does not solve the problem on iPads.
Official Employee

Greglotto wrote:

Have you tried all of these steps?

If so, did you do it from your iPad or from computer?

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Silver Problem Solver

Greglotto wrote:

There is currently an issue with the xfinity tv app that was just released look at the ratings on apples site.

New Poster

Watched two episodes of Dexter at 8pm on my iPad last night and now says I need a subscription.  I attempted the fix listed above to no avail.  What could have possibly happened between 8pm last night and today?  

Silver Problem Solver

did you download the new app.  After I did that nothing on showtime works for me anymore.

New Poster

Doesn't work for iPad

Official Employee

Xfinity TV App users:

We had some issues with orange keys appearing when they should not be on the Xfinity TV App. This issue should now be resolved. Please try again and let me know if orange keys are still appearing.

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Frequent Visitor

Yes. Still happening. I deleted the app and relinstalled. I went to my account and removed my iPad as a listed device. Still having the issue. Oddly enough, I added my iPhone just to check and I had no problems accessing content. Also, in the case this helps, I am only having issues with the orange keys with shows I recently viewed. Not the shows I never watched.
New Poster

The issue is still not resolved. I've removed the app and reinstalled it, and nothing changed. Is there going to be a solution to this problem any time soon?
New Poster

Still not resolved for Dexter. I have cleared everything reinstalled app numerous times called Comcast, nothing works on phone or ipad2. This happened after I updated the app. Sigh
New Poster

I thought it was just a problem with my xfinity app, however it's not working on my iPad or iPhone. I ordered showtime yesterday so I could catch up on dexter on my new iPad, but I can't get it to load. I setup my moms xfinity app with her own cable login and she is getting the error on Dexter as well. I have deleted, reset, removed devices from the list on the account page, rebooted iPad and nothing has worked. In my iPhone and iPad, dexter and homeland do not load. On my moms iPad, dexter doesn't load, but Homeland does.
New Poster

After looking further, every Showtime series is functional with the exception of Dexter.  Really frustrating as I can watch on my laptop but not my iPad.  

New Poster

This problem is still not resolved for iPad??