Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

5,806,469

members

75

online now

1,952,554

discussions

Top

Rename device evy time..home pc??

Valued Contributor

Rename device evy time..home pc??

I go to xfinity online tv from home w/ our win 7's desktop and laptop always use mozilla or ie (wired not wireless), no apps' used just our normal computers. We own no devices (no smart phones, no tablets nothing).  I sign on like I always did and find this new format,  works but everytime I sign on it wants me to name a device?  I only use one laptop and one desktop from home always.  This is a pia because Im not always at a keyboard sometimes Im mousing at the couch without key board and Its to the point I jsut hop up and hit any key to name it its happening so much. I dont even have to dump cookies just sign out and keep using browser and come back.

 Whats the deal??  Will it say too many or something? I followed the link to devices on my acct and it lists none.   I will not save cookies we clear them after every online session. If thats it, its dumb.  

Service Expert

Re: Rename device evy time..home pc??


tvaholic7 wrote:

I go to xfinity online tv from home w/ our win 7's desktop and laptop always use mozilla or ie (wired not wireless), no apps' used just our normal computers. We own no devices (no smart phones, no tablets nothing).  I sign on like I always did and find this new format,  works but everytime I sign on it wants me to name a device?  I only use one laptop and one desktop from home always.  This is a pia because Im not always at a keyboard sometimes Im mousing at the couch without key board and Its to the point I jsut hop up and hit any key to name it its happening so much. I dont even have to dump cookies just sign out and keep using browser and come back.

 Whats the deal??  Will it say too many or something? I followed the link to devices on my acct and it lists none.   I will not save cookies we clear them after every online session. If thats it, its dumb.  


Yes, there is a limit to the number of devices that can use this feature.  No, there is no way around it as Comcast makes this an integral part of the login process.




Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Problem Solver

Re: Rename device evy time..home pc??


tvaholic7 wrote:

I go to xfinity online tv from home w/ our win 7's desktop and laptop always use mozilla or ie (wired not wireless), no apps' used just our normal computers. We own no devices (no smart phones, no tablets nothing).  I sign on like I always did and find this new format,  works but everytime I sign on it wants me to name a device?  I only use one laptop and one desktop from home always.  This is a pia because Im not always at a keyboard sometimes Im mousing at the couch without key board and Its to the point I jsut hop up and hit any key to name it its happening so much. I dont even have to dump cookies just sign out and keep using browser and come back.

 Whats the deal??  Will it say too many or something? I followed the link to devices on my acct and it lists none.   I will not save cookies we clear them after every online session. If thats it, its dumb.  


Eventually, you are going to end up with an 11700 Error, due to having too many device sign ons. Then you are going to have to deal with Comcast trying to get them to deprovision all those signed on devices, even though there only might be 2 physical devices, there could be many virtual devices. Just search the forums for the 11700 error and you will see all the complaints about getting that cleared. Comcast for some strange reason doesn't allow the user to manage their own provisioned computers, smartphones, and/or tablets, yet their phone reps don't seem to know how to manage it either.

 

My best advice to you if you don't want to save cookies using your everyday web browser, is to download Chrome, and use it exclusively for watching the Xfinity TV portal. This way you can leave the cookies just for this site, and not affect your normal web browsing. Then you will not have to rename your device every time.

Valued Contributor

Re: Rename device evy time..home pc??

I appreciate the idea and may give in and use firefox for that.  I cant load full on chrome it bogs up my machine everytime ive tried.

But depending on cookies to use the site is just dumb.

I mean for signing in.  

Valued Contributor

Re: Rename device evy time..home pc??

But am I missing something? Once you name a device shouldnt it offer it up to sign on again??  It doesnt not at all starts new like it doesnt know me, no options just name it over.

Problem Solver

Re: Rename device evy time..home pc??


tvaholic7 wrote:

But am I missing something? Once you name a device shouldnt it offer it up to sign on again??  It doesnt not at all starts new like it doesnt know me, no options just name it over.


If you aren't saving the cookies (including 3rd party cookies) then how will the browser know you were at the site before? That is why I said to use Chrome because it allows you to create specific user profiles with their own settings. But I understand not using it if it bogs down your computer. I don't use Firefox. Does it allow user profiles as well?

 

EDIT: I answered my own question. I see that Firefox lets you create user profiles. So just create a user profile for TV watching, and allow it to save all cookies (including 3rd party), and you won't have to login continuously, and keep renaming your device.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Rename device evy time..home pc??

With Firefox, you can generically block 3rd party cookies, but allow exceptions. For Comcast, you need to make login.comcast.net available, as some sites use xfinity.com, which makes comcast.net a '3rd party' cookie.

 

Cookies.png

Valued Contributor

Re: Rename device evy time..home pc??

I greatly appreciate the assistance folks Smiley Happy  I didnt know what a profile or whatever was.

I just wish it didnt have to be so complicated, what happen to just signing in to the site like it used to be and signing out (I dumped cookies then too).

Does this mean if I dont do this it will mess me for sure? What a pia.  Maybe I will just use hulu it doesnt give a hoot

 if I dump cookies and I pay for it.  But if you have more input please do tell me I do want to know.

 

Problem Solver

Re: Rename device evy time..home pc??


tvaholic7 wrote:

I greatly appreciate the assistance folks Smiley Happy  I didnt know what a profile or whatever was.

I just wish it didnt have to be so complicated, what happen to just signing in to the site like it used to be and signing out (I dumped cookies then too).

Does this mean if I dont do this it will mess me for sure? What a pia.  Maybe I will just use hulu it doesnt give a hoot

 if I dump cookies and I pay for it.  But if you have more input please do tell me I do want to know.

 


If you are in one of the data cap markets, streaming through Hulu will definitely count against your data usage. Watching through the Xfinity TV web portal will not count against data usage as long as you don't watch anything marked TVGO. I'm sure that makes things even more complicated, but thought it best you know,

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Rename device evy time..home pc??


tvaholic7 wrote:

I greatly appreciate the assistance folks Smiley Happy  I didnt know what a profile or whatever was.

I just wish it didnt have to be so complicated, what happen to just signing in to the site like it used to be and signing out (I dumped cookies then too).

Does this mean if I dont do this it will mess me for sure? What a pia.  Maybe I will just use hulu it doesnt give a hoot

 if I dump cookies and I pay for it.  But if you have more input please do tell me I do want to know.

 


Not sure if this will work, but you could give it a try. After you have the xfinity cookies, use explorer to find them on your hard drive and change the attributes to read only. Not sure what firefox will do when it tries to delete a cookie that is read only, also not sure if xfinity site needs to over write them (if they do, this won't work). The way they designed this site, there's no good way to use it if you delete cookies when closing. My banks seem to know when I'm logging in with a "known computer" without cookies, comcast could have done it without cookies as well.

Contributor

Re: Rename device evy time..home pc??

I've also found that by signing in at my.xfinity.com there is a "Keep me signed in" checkbox that tv.xfinity.com doesn't have. If I go in that way, check the box, and click the TV icon in the top right, it remembers me when I come back to the TV site even after closing my browser. 

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Rename device evy time..home pc??


viricom wrote:

I've also found that by signing in at my.xfinity.com there is a "Keep me signed in" checkbox that tv.xfinity.com doesn't have. If I go in that way, check the box, and click the TV icon in the top right, it remembers me when I come back to the TV site even after closing my browser. 


Yes, that was in the main thread a few days ago, but even if you delete cookies when you exit browser?

Valued Contributor

Re: Rename device evy time..home pc??

Okay so ..I tried signing in on the .com central page and checked the box it worked no name device.  I dumped cookies started over with out checking box and same thing its working now no name device.   I thought Id tried that before tho'.   I dont know if someone adj my acct from reading this post or it was a fluke but I hope this keeps working.    I just did not understand like other reply said why they cant recognize me by signing in and reading my ip addy like every site (banks etc do).   I was just irritated and puzzled by this.

Anyway its working right and thanks for those ideas...

As to xfinity go ...I hadnt realized there was a diff as signing in is signing in from home I didnt see a list for a diff we are not wireless either.

But I appreciate knowing this.    Hopefully it will keep working.