Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Recordings Missing from DVR...But Appear in X1 App

New Poster

Recordings Missing from DVR...But Appear in X1 App

So, last night I was disappointed to see that two shows in my DVR queue failed to record.  They were there in the queue an hour prior to broadcast in the "Scheduled" recordings, but during (and after) the broadcast time they were not listed under recordings.

Strangely, though, when I pulled up the X1 app on my iPad, the two missing recordings were there (under recordings).  I was able to download them to my iPad (and I checked...they are viewable).  I thought if I then "returned" them, they'd appear in my DVR and would be viewable on my TV, but they do not.

Any explanation/help here?

Problem Solver

Re: Recordings Missing from DVR...But Appear in X1 App

Comcast needs to create a nice graphic for users that explains how Cloud DVR works. It seems like a majority of users are always asking the same type of question.

Here is an overview assuming you have Cloud DVR enabled on your account.  When a scheduled recording takes place, it will record to 2 different places. One is the harddrive on the physical DVR in your house. The second is a server located in the "Cloud" somewhere in Comcast's vast data warehouse, but definitely far way from your residence.  Sometimes things can go wrong. Maybe an outage has cause data to your DVR to fail. Maybe a power failure at your house. Whatever the cause, the DVR fails to record.  Failures can theoretically happen on the Cloud side as well. Hardrive failure on the server farm.

Whatever the case, your DVR failed to record, but the Cloud DVR did record. When you download a show to your iPad, you are downloading the show from the Cloud server, not your physical DVR. When you return that show, you are just making that show available again on the Cloud server. There is no physical connection happening between the Cloud DVR and physical DVR.  The only interaction between the 2 is when you delete a show on either side.  This sends a signal to the other to delete the show from the opposite unit, otherwise you would have to manage the 2 as separate entities, which would be a pain.

New Poster

Thanks for the graphic-free explanation.  It makes sense.

The stranger thing is the DVR randomly recording some shows and not others.  I sat here tonight and awaited 7pm to see if a show would record, as it failed twice last night (but succeeded twice at recording shows at the same time).  Sure enough, the 7pm hit, the show disappeared from the "scheduled" list, and I had to go in manually and record it.  At 8pm...the show scheduled did record.  This (along with the concurrent taping last night) rules out power outages...it's that "whatever the cause" in your response that I'm now hunting down a solution for.

Thanks for clearing up Mystery #1 though!

Problem Solver

The X1 service requires a very good signal to work properly. If your signal is dropping sporadically, it could cause the DVR to fail to record at specific times and not others. Do you notice pixelation at all when watching certain channels? That could be a symptom of bad signal.  Is it certain channels that have a recording issue or is it random?

You could go into the Settings on the DVR (Gear icon), then go to Comcast Labs, then click Cable Signal Strength, then click Check Signal.  If it comes back with a low reading, you might want to have a Comcast tech out to check your line.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation