Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Recording the second broadcast of a series program in the same evening

Regular Visitor

Recording the second broadcast of a series program in the same evening

I hope I can explain this well enough to understand.  Many of the channels telecast a new episode of a program at maybe 8:00 PM and then rebroadcast the same show again at 11:00PM.  This is handy when there are CBS and ABC programs broadcast in the earlier evening hours that I record but I also want to record a History Channel show during the same time period.  The first showing of the History Channel program is displayed on the guide as "New" but the second showing of the same show a few hours later is labeled as "Repeat". 

I understand the rationale but it causes issues when trying to record only one episode of a show in a given evening.  As the DVR Manager works now I have the two network shows setup as higher priorities than the History program but I have to setup up that program to record both new and repeats.  Consequently, as a result of the settings you have to use you may get the two network shows recorded just fine and the second showing of let's say Sons of Guns records during the later rebroadcast.  But many programs (Sons of Guns being one of them) will be shown as marathons when the channel needs fillers.  Because I have to have Sons of Guns setup to record repeats, I get many episodes that I have already seen recorded and taking up precious hard drive space.  A change in the software might help or am I missing the appropriate method to handle this situation? 

Thanks for your reply.

Tags (1)
Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation