New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Re: Xfinity stream keeps pausing

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 1 of 10
Stream pauses pretty much on the hour every hour for 15-30 seconds. I have 25 up and 25 down internet. Netflix is fine. Something is going on with Xfinity stream. Any ideas?
9 REPLIES
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 2 of 10

Anon110350, is this affecting all of the programs you are trying to stream? Is it on demand or recorded shows? 

KenF

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Posted by
New Poster
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 3 of 10

I've been having major issues with video pausing recently too. I have a tremendous love/hate relationship with Xfinity Stream app.  I work out of town most of the week and live in an apartment and use Xfinity hotspots and the Stream app to access my home programming plus On Demand.  When it works it's great!  It has been working pretty well for several months but in the last week or so it has been terrible. All of the pausing, error messages, restarting/resuming the show make it pretty much unusable much of the time.  It took about 3 hours to watch the Game of Thrones season finale (from DVR, not live) and some of the time it was pausing for a minute or more after playing a few words. Argh!!

My main viewing device is a desktop PC runnning Win10 and I try switching to an Android tablet when the PC has problems.  A Comcast tech told me that the tablet will always work better than the desktop because the streaming is designed for portable devices.  For the past week or so neither one has worked very well.  Most of the time I can go to Netflix and it works well when the Stream app is unusable.  Sometimes, nothing works.  Since I rely on hotspots for connection it is possible that my main issue is because there has been a change in the hotspots that are available in my apt complex.  I have no way of knowing which (whose) hotspot I am accessing and can't force a reboot of the cable modem to see if it will clear the problem.

When I have problems I try various things. Clear the cache in Chrome, use ipconfig to release the ip, flushdns and renew, reboot the PC, hop on one foot and chant.  Lately, none of that works.  I've also tried using the app early in the morning to see if the problems are due to the hotspot being overwhelmed.  It doesn't work well in the off hours either.  I need to try taking the tablet to another location to see if it works better when connecting to a different hotspot.

Any help would be appreciated. 

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 4 of 10

witsendbs wrote:

I've been having major issues with video pausing recently too. I have a tremendous love/hate relationship with Xfinity Stream app.  I work out of town most of the week and live in an apartment and use Xfinity hotspots and the Stream app to access my home programming plus On Demand.  When it works it's great!  It has been working pretty well for several months but in the last week or so it has been terrible. All of the pausing, error messages, restarting/resuming the show make it pretty much unusable much of the time.  It took about 3 hours to watch the Game of Thrones season finale (from DVR, not live) and some of the time it was pausing for a minute or more after playing a few words. Argh!!

My main viewing device is a desktop PC runnning Win10 and I try switching to an Android tablet when the PC has problems.  A Comcast tech told me that the tablet will always work better than the desktop because the streaming is designed for portable devices.  For the past week or so neither one has worked very well.  Most of the time I can go to Netflix and it works well when the Stream app is unusable.  Sometimes, nothing works.  Since I rely on hotspots for connection it is possible that my main issue is because there has been a change in the hotspots that are available in my apt complex.  I have no way of knowing which (whose) hotspot I am accessing and can't force a reboot of the cable modem to see if it will clear the problem.

When I have problems I try various things. Clear the cache in Chrome, use ipconfig to release the ip, flushdns and renew, reboot the PC, hop on one foot and chant.  Lately, none of that works.  I've also tried using the app early in the morning to see if the problems are due to the hotspot being overwhelmed.  It doesn't work well in the off hours either.  I need to try taking the tablet to another location to see if it works better when connecting to a different hotspot.

Any help would be appreciated. 

When using your pc, try a speed test - http://www.speedtest.net/ to check network speed. Might tell you something....

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 5 of 10

Watching my TVGO shows at my summer residence in Indiana.  The issue is the pause EVERY HOUR ON THE HOUR for at least 30 seconds.  Seems strange.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 6 of 10

Hi Anon110350, thank you for the reply and I just wanting to confirm, since the Xfinity TV Go has been retired that you are using the Xfinity Stream App.

Thank you

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 7 of 10

Yes using the newest stream app!

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 8 of 10

Thank you for confirming, this is a known issue and our teams are working to correct and currently there is not an ETA of resolution.

Apologies for the inconvenience

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
New Poster
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 9 of 10

I'm having problems too. First it was the constant pausing and now streaming is completely gone! My streaming app won't even open up anymore. When is this going to be fixed?

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 10 of 10

Hello all, the Xfinity Stream app relies on a strong data connection to operate properly. Anytime you have an issue with content pausing the first thing to check is your data connection, please make sure you're connected to a local Wi-Fi or hot spot to ensure you get the best results. If you continue to have this issue please delete the app and download it again, this can clear up any bugs within the system. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.