online now

discussions

Re: XFINITY TV on Roku

New Poster

can someone explain  "data charges may apply"  when watching "on the go"/

Frequent Visitor

"Data charges may apply" just means you're watching over the Internet, and if you're on a mobile device it could apply against your data limit with your mobile provider. Just a typical "now you're on the Internet" disclaimer.

Problem Solver

marjsdad wrote:

"Data charges may apply" just means you're watching over the Internet, and if you're on a mobile device it could apply against your data limit with your mobile provider. Just a typical "now you're on the Internet" disclaimer.

Not quite what it means. You are correct that "Data charges may apply" does indeed mean you are watching over the the Internet, but it has nothing to do with mobile data from your mobile provider. Anything you watch through your mobile providers network will count against your data usage on your mobile provider account.

The "Data charges may apply" is refering only to your Comcast Internet data limit. When watching any of the TVGo content either on the Roku device or using the Xfinity Stream app or website that data is streamed through your Internet connection (if you are home). The message says "Data charges may apply" because some users have data usage limits on their Comcast Internet accounts (currently 1Terrabyte), and any streaming of TVGo content when at home will count against that Comcast data usage limit.

Regular Visitor

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku

I thought the idea  of this Cable through streaming device was a way for the consumer to avoid paying the charge to rent dta devices. Much like one has the option to buy the internet gateway instead of paying the monthy rental fee. Rumor is that after this beta test is over Comcast will be charging 7 bucks or so per tv hooked into the app. Is this true? How can this be justified since the consumer has footed the bill for the Roku devices, and OWNS them!!?? SMELLS LIKE JUST ANOTHER MONEYGRAB!!! Also, why are dta boxes not available for purchase instead of rental? Please explain.

New Poster

I would like to second this post. I too am a little disheartened to hear that Comcast intends to charge us to use our own equipment, Equipment that we have already spent anywhere between 30-100+ dollars to have in the first place. I think comcast really needs to reconsider a charge that high to use the Roku App.  

Contributor

It's probably the only reason Comcast agreed to do Roku support in the first place. It appeases those(FCC, Congress, and others) who have been trying to get providers to open up their systems to 3rd party manufacturers because they knew they'd be charging an outlet fee anyway. Whether you use 3rd party equipment or Comcast-provided equipment they're going to get their pound of flesh from you one way or the other. And this way is even cheaper for Comcast as they don't have to provide any equipment like they would if you rented a box from them. This Roku initiative is a suker's game, you provide the equipment and they still charge you.

New Poster

Hi Dan,

I have the same issue and am currently on the phone with the internet support team. They first asked me to contact Roku and then after I pressed told me that the Xfinity TV Beta app on Roku had been discontinued. Is this accurate?

Contributor

Kd, the app is still active. As for being charged to use our equipment, the former head of the FCC never stated that using your own equipment would or even should be free. He felt that cable and satellite companies should not be the only one to supply them. If, and we do not know yet, but if Comcast charges to use their app for current subscribers, I believe they will lose a lot of customers. There are too many other streaming options. I currently use PS Vue. If they fix the app, and it is free, I will upgrade to a larger package for ease and to save money. If they charge per device, I will stay with another provider, possibly go to You Tube TV, it will only be $35 for 42 channels, with more to come, free unlimited DVR, and unlimited devices anywhere in the world. Sure beats only on your home network, and a per device charge.
Service Expert

ms2510 wrote:

I thought the idea  of this Cable through streaming device was a way for the consumer to avoid paying the charge to rent dta devices. Much like one has the option to buy the internet gateway instead of paying the monthy rental fee. Rumor is that after this beta test is over Comcast will be charging 7 bucks or so per tv hooked into the app. Is this true? How can this be justified since the consumer has footed the bill for the Roku devices, and OWNS them!!?? SMELLS LIKE JUST ANOTHER MONEYGRAB!!! Also, why are dta boxes not available for purchase instead of rental? Please explain.

it is free now, Comcast has not suggested pricing for using your owned device. 

the providers (producers of the actual content you view) make money (income) by charging cable operators (Comcast) per connected 'outlet' in the home that is connected to a TV. Any TV connected to a desk/laptop is not counted as the use of HDMI is grandfathered in as a 2nd or secondary screen of the computer.

The Roku performs the same job as a companion box and will likely have charges when out of beta. When out of beta Comcast may then state any monthly charge and offer to continue service as it moves from a free beta program. The Roku also works using out customer owned modems whereas the in-testing xi5 requires the use of a Comcast gateway/router which will increase costs for customers that own their own router.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon