New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Re: Picture on CBS is Cut Off

ANSWERED
New Poster

I am trying to watch CBS online using LIVE TV online with https://tv.xfinity.com. I still see the picture cut on the sides. What would be the reason here when cable box is not involved here.

Accepted Solution

Yes, sometimes on the sides, sometimes all around.  When the picture is scaled down to SD, it is made to fit the old TV standard of 4:3. To do that, the picture can be chopped on the sides, or the whole image can be shrunken and you will end up with dark bars on all sides. When scaled down, there is no need to transmit all the extra side information that wouldn't show up on a 4:3 TV.  Even though you are viewing it online, the feed has already been scaled down by chopping the sides or shrinking the entire image. Most likely, the computer monitor you are viewing the SD feed on is 16:9, so when you view the image you see the dark bars on the side. If you viewed the image on a 4:3 monitor, then the screen would be filled, but it is still the same image with the missing side information. I hope that helps.

350_4x3_vs_16x9_Aspect_Ratio_Monitors_balloon_.jpg

RedNinja wrote:

I understand what you are saying, so I will rephrase my question. 

I am not concerned about the quality of the picture, but does it mean that in SD, the picture is expected to be cut-off on the sides?

View answer in context
Problem Solver

Were you watching the SD channel or the HD channel?  What show were you attempting to watch?

Frequent Visitor

How many tickets must I put in to fix my account?

Can I get in touch with corporate?  Over 5 tickets later and still no resolve.  Comcast Customer Service claims they are going to call me back after I have spent hours and hours on the phone.  I tell you that my home security is still wrong because of the account information.  Someone else is getting notifications about what is going on in my home.  There has been no escalation.  I went up there like they asked us to and things werent done correctly but now I have to pay for it.  Everyone is saying they understand but not offering solutions.  My login is still wrong for my account.  I have put in a million tickets and nothing is resolved.  I need corporate.

New Poster

I was watching the NFL game on SD channel (#4).

Problem Solver

Then you answered your own question.  Watching an SD channel gets you an SD picture.

RedNinja wrote:

I was watching the NFL game on SD channel (#4).

New Poster

Are you suggesting that if the channel is SD, then the picture will be cut from the sides even if I am watching it ONLINE, where the cable box is not involved?
If yes, can you please elaborate on this as it doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
Appreciate your response.
Problem Solver

RedNinja wrote:
Are you suggesting that if the channel is SD, then the picture will be cut from the sides even if I am watching it ONLINE, where the cable box is not involved?
If yes, can you please elaborate on this as it doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
Appreciate your response.

Are you paying for HD service? If not, then do you think Comcast is going to give you the HD online for free? I would think not, but I pay the HD service charge, so I can't test that out.  Were you able to get the HD version of channel 4 online?

When you watch the SD channel, Comcast is sending you the SD version of the channel. Here are some screenshots I took of the Emmy Awards showing full screen SD and HD content.

SD ChannelSD Channel

HD ChannelHD Channel

Does this help?

New Poster

I am not concerned about the quality of the picture, but does it mean that in SD, the picture is expected to be cut-off on the sides?

Problem Solver

Yes, sometimes on the sides, sometimes all around.  When the picture is scaled down to SD, it is made to fit the old TV standard of 4:3. To do that, the picture can be chopped on the sides, or the whole image can be shrunken and you will end up with dark bars on all sides. When scaled down, there is no need to transmit all the extra side information that wouldn't show up on a 4:3 TV.  Even though you are viewing it online, the feed has already been scaled down by chopping the sides or shrinking the entire image. Most likely, the computer monitor you are viewing the SD feed on is 16:9, so when you view the image you see the dark bars on the side. If you viewed the image on a 4:3 monitor, then the screen would be filled, but it is still the same image with the missing side information. I hope that helps.

350_4x3_vs_16x9_Aspect_Ratio_Monitors_balloon_.jpg

RedNinja wrote:

New Poster

Thanks a lot. That was definitely very helpful. Much appreciated.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation