Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Problems changing the channel on the X1 box using a desktop computer.

Frequent Visitor

Problems changing the channel on the X1 box using a desktop computer.

Help changing my channels on my X1 box using a desktop computer. Thank you.

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Problems changing the channel on the X1 box using a desktop computer.

bxcustomer wrote:

Comcast replaced the website a few weeks ago. You can no longer change channels on your cable box using the website. Most of the great features of the old one are gone.

See a summary of changes here:
http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Xfinity-TV-Website/Announcement-and-feedback-thread-TV-Go-is-now-part-o...

See most complaints here:

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Xfinity-TV-Website/Announcement-and-feedback-thread-TV-Go-is-now-part-o...

Send your concerns here ecare@comcast.com and use the feedback button on the listings page

Bronze Problem Solver

bxcustomer wrote:

You can control your tv with you pc by using the xfinity tv remote app and an android emulator.

Read here:

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Xfinity-TV-Website/Get-your-PC-to-control-your-cable-box-again/td-p/281...

Frequent Visitor

The website is pretty useless without this function.  Way to take away a good thing.  I don't want to stream on my computer

Frequent Visitor

This is the only way I was able to change channels on my X1 box. My disability only allows me to do it this way. Comcast if you're listening. Please bring this option to your new software. You talk a big game about making things accessible. You even told me you have a special department that handles these things. If I am unable to use the equipment with the promise you gave me about being able to make it work. You can pick all of your equipment up now.

Frequent Visitor

I'm still unable to change the channels using my PC. I called customer service and they said they were going to escalate this to someone higher up and they would call me back. No call back yet. It makes me wonder if they don't care because it's someone that's disabled and needs this feature returned and not a lot of customers. Paying money for service and equipment that I cannot use like they promised me.

Bronze Problem Solver

bxcustomer wrote:

I'm still unable to change the channels using my PC. I called customer service and they said they were going to escalate this to someone higher up and they would call me back. No call back yet. It makes me wonder if they don't care because it's someone that's disabled and needs this feature returned and not a lot of customers. Paying money for service and equipment that I cannot use like they promised me.

The new website no longer has the feature of changing channels on you cable box like the old site did.

In CC's announcement they state:

"Can I change channels on my TV from the XFINITY TV app or portal?
Please use the XFINITY TV Remote app, which is available in the App Store or Google Play, to quickly and easily find and tune your TV to the shows you love."

Source:

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Xfinity-TV-Website/UPDATE-Announcement-and-feedback-thread-TV-Go-is-now...

Frequent Visitor

So does that mean it doesn't work like that anymore and even if that's the only way you can change the channels  Comcast doesn't care. That's basically what I'm left with.

Bronze Problem Solver

bxcustomer wrote:

So does that mean it doesn't work like that anymore and even if that's the only way you can change the channels  Comcast doesn't care. That's basically what I'm left with.

Yes, it means it doesn't work like that anymore. They may add the ability of changing channels and playing on demand and recordings on your tv from the website in the future, but they won't say now The new website has been geared for out of the home use..

Frequent Visitor

Thank you for your help. I just thought customer service would be better than that. I guess those are empty promises they gave me as to being able to control my equipment. They even told me they would be doing more things so I can use all of my equipment independently. Even told me they had a special department that helps people with disabilities use their equipment. If it doesn't change very soon I will probably cancel my service and turn everything in. Some people advise to put this experience on Facebook, twitter and other widely used social media platforms. I just don't know if I should go that route. Trying to shame them into, "doing the right thing."

Bronze Problem Solver

bxcustomer wrote:

Thank you for your help. I just thought customer service would be better than that. I guess those are empty promises they gave me as to being able to control my equipment. They even told me they would be doing more things so I can use all of my equipment independently. Even told me they had a special department that helps people with disabilities use their equipment. If it doesn't change very soon I will probably cancel my service and turn everything in. Some people advise to put this experience on Facebook, twitter and other widely used social media platforms. I just don't know if I should go that route. Trying to shame them into, "doing the right thing."

Well they may be doing something for your situation, but until they do, you could install an android emulator on your pc and then install the android xfinity tv remote app which will allow you to control your tv from your pc.

Frequent Visitor

They posted a message from and official Comcast employee that says my problem was marked as having a acceptable solution. I don't have an acceptable solution. How can they post something like that? And then it doesn't allow me to post a comment to his reply to tell him the problem is not resolved. Are they trying to push this under the table?

Frequent Visitor

They marked this as problem solved. The problem is not solved. I do not have an acceptable solution like they are posting. I'm still unable to change the channels on my X1 box using my desktop computer like I was able to for a long time.

Bronze Problem Solver

bxcustomer wrote:

They marked this as problem solved. The problem is not solved. I do not have an acceptable solution like they are posting. I'm still unable to change the channels on my X1 box using my desktop computer like I was able to for a long time.

Yes I saw that, if I remember correctly, it was ComcastAndrew and his comment really made no sense in this thread (something like "Yes you will"). I figured he posted to the wrong thread. His post has been removed, but you thread is still marked as fixed. PM him and ask him to un-mark it fixed.

Frequent Visitor

Thank you. How do I send a private message to him?

Bronze Problem Solver

bxcustomer wrote:

Thank you. How do I send a private message to him?

Click on "private message me" on the following page:

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/1498544

If he doesn't respond, try comcastdan here:

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/6307450

Frequent Visitor

Thank you again for your help. I'm still hopeful they will put it back or add something new that will enable me to use this function again. A suggestion was made that I could change the channels using a smart phone. A smart phone is not an option for me because it also requires buttons to be pushed to change the channels and I'm unable to push buttons.

Bronze Problem Solver

bxcustomer wrote:

Thank you again for your help. I'm still hopeful they will put it back or add something new that will enable me to use this function again. A suggestion was made that I could change the channels using a smart phone. A smart phone is not an option for me because it also requires buttons to be pushed to change the channels and I'm unable to push buttons.

If you install one of these andriod emulators on you pc you can use the xfinity tv remote app to change channels using your pc:

http://www.androidauthority.com/best-android-emulators-for-pc-655308/

I use one when I can't find the remote

Frequent Visitor

That can cause a compatibility problem with the software on my computer.  The voice activated software on my computer worked well with the XFINITY website. Compatibility with different apps happens frequently. Another reason why I hope they bring back the feature I was using on the XFINITY website.

Bronze Problem Solver

bxcustomer wrote:

That can cause a compatibility problem with the software on my computer.  The voice activated software on my computer worked well with the XFINITY website. Compatibility with different apps happens frequently. Another reason why I hope they bring back the feature I was using on the XFINITY website.

Oh  I understand now, you didn't mention the voice activated sw before.

Frequent Visitor

Yes, I have been using the voice-activated software with Comcast as long as Comcast has provided cable here without any problem. The problem changing the channels only started after they took away that feature from their XFINITY website. If and when they bring the feature back to their website I will be able to change channels like I have done for many years. I appreciate your help. I wish Comcast was trying to help me like you are.

Official Employee

bxcustomer wrote:

Yes, I have been using the voice-activated software with Comcast as long as Comcast has provided cable here without any problem. The problem changing the channels only started after they took away that feature from their XFINITY website. If and when they bring the feature back to their website I will be able to change channels like I have done for many years. I appreciate your help. I wish Comcast was trying to help me like you are.

I'm sorry your having trouble and appreciate your bringing the issue to my attention. Sorry I didn't respond earlier but just seeing this thread.

Comcast has a team of customer service agents specializing in accessibility.  You can find various methods of contacting them on this page:  https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/account/accessibility-services/

I'll also bring this to the attention of our Accessibility team at our headquarters. Please feel free to reach out to me directly via private message if you don't get a prompt response. 

-ComcastDan

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Frequent Visitor

No response yet, let alone a prompt response.

Frequent Visitor

They are working on things. No solution yet but they say they are working on it.

New Poster

i complained about this also and got the same response that someone higher up in tech would call. I did get a call back and the expert told me that they never had that servicethat i had been using for years.Its another pay more and get less thing streaming on the computer is useless to me. i guess they want you to stream so they can start charging for overage on data.

Frequent Visitor

They told me they are working on something to resolve the problem.

Discussion stats
  • 25 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation