New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Out of Home - can't stream from home

ANSWERED
New Poster

Out of Home - can't stream from home

Why is it that I receive the out of home message when trying to register my different devices.  I am at home connected through my router connected to my comcast modem, and it does not work on my laptop nor through the Android app on my Galaxy S4.

Accepted Solution

Re: Out of Home - can't stream from home

Finally SOLVED....can't explain why, nor could Comcast, but they finally was able to get my modem re-associated with my account.  Thanks everyone for their help.

View answer in context
Service Expert

jperrizo wrote:

Why is it that I receive the out of home message when trying to register my different devices.  I am at home connected through my router connected to my comcast modem, and it does not work on my laptop nor through the Android app on my Galaxy S4.

'out' of home checks depend on a couple of things normally. First have to be on the home network, 2nd not have long ping times (can be caused by using a vpn or a proxy).

you can test devices you use by going to http://www.whatismyip.com/  --- note the IP "number". 

Do that on each device, the first set of 3 numbers should all be the same. then go to your x1 DVR and hold down exit for 5 or so seconds, release and hit "down" "down" "2" quickly. on the page that pops up on the TV screen, press down to "system" and right to page 6 of 9. note the ESTB IP address first 3 numbers should match the other devices. write down that address. Compare to the other "IP" numbers. all the sets of numbers match except for last number?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

OK, I did that, so I can understand why it thinks I am not at home, but not sure why they are different.  My computer ip address start with 75, while my DVRs starts with 50.  How do I get them on the same network?  I do have MAC filtering on my wireless router.  Do I need to add the MAC addresses of the DVR to the router?

Service Expert

jperrizo wrote:

OK, I did that, so I can understand why it thinks I am not at home, but not sure why they are different.  My computer ip address start with 75, while my DVRs starts with 50.  How do I get them on the same network?  I do have MAC filtering on my wireless router.  Do I need to add the MAC addresses of the DVR to the router?

on the 'system' number did you pick up the line that starts with "IP" (on mine 2nd from the top)?

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Service Expert

Rustyben wrote:

jperrizo wrote:

on the 'system' number did you pick up the line that starts with "IP" (on mine 2nd from the top)?

also IF that was an IP number (4 numbers separated by periods like yours 50.1.2.3.4) go to https://ipinfo.io/ and  top of screen put in that entire number and hit enter. note in the middle on results if it is comcast (should be)

edit: does your desktop/laptop work on https://xtv.comcast.net/ ?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Rustyben wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

jperrizo wrote:

also IF that was an IP number (4 numbers separated by periods like yours 50.1.2.3.4) go to https://ipinfo.io/ and  top of screen put in that entire number and hit enter. note in the middle on results if it is comcast (should be)

Yep, both of the IP addresses are Comcast and both show in Corvallis.  I must have done a typo before as my computer/modem's IP address starts with 71.  Same situation, however.

My desktop/laptop does NOT work on https://xtv.comcast.net/.  It lets me register my machine, but when I try to click on a channel is when I get the Out of Home error.

Other background - I have had Comcast Internet for 2 years before I got cable/X1.  My modem is hooked up in another room, different cable than my X1.  I tried restarting my X1 and my modem to see if I could get new IP addressess that matched, but no luck.

Service Expert

jperrizo wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

jperrizo wrote:

Yep, both of the IP addresses are Comcast and both show in Corvallis.  I must have done a typo before as my computer/modem's IP address starts with 71.  Same situation, however.

My desktop/laptop does NOT work on https://xtv.comcast.net/.  It lets me register my machine, but when I try to click on a channel is when I get the Out of Home error.

Other background - I have had Comcast Internet for 2 years before I got cable/X1.  My modem is hooked up in another room, different cable than my X1.  I tried restarting my X1 and my modem to see if I could get new IP addressess that matched, but no luck.

I private messaged a couple of comcast people to look in on this thread. They might be able to arrange to release the IPs if that is what is needed.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Service Expert

this problem may be out of the online comcast tech's wheelhouse (expertise/experience) since no reply so far. You might call the 877-896-8678 and ask them to release your modem IP lease so you can acquire a new IP. Hoping that will grab one off the same gateway your x1's are on. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Are there plans to eventually allow streaming over Mobile networks?  thanks

Official Employee

Not at this time.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Official Employee

To clarify, the in home check has nothing to do with the X1 stb IP address. We are checking the ip address of your cable modem and varifying your devices are conected to that modem. I would contact out internet support and have them varify that your cable modem is online and provisioned.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

ComcastChad wrote:
To clarify, the in home check has nothing to do with the X1 stb IP address. We are checking the ip address of your cable modem and varifying your devices are conected to that modem. I would contact out internet support and have them varify that your cable modem is online and provisioned.

Thanks for the clarification.  When I contacted Comcast support, they told me that my modem was not registered under my account and yet they could not add it because it was registered under a different account that they did not have visibilty to.  I just got off a call with Arris support and they confirmed that my modem was new when I purchased it, so they are thinking that because I had Comcast Internet service before I got Xfinity cable/X1 unit, that they assigned me a new account and that they somehow need to merge the two accounts.  

I have had my modem for 2 years and it has worked perfectly, it just must appear that my modem and X1 accounts are actually under seperate accounts.  Now if I can just figure out how to find the other account and combine the two.

New Poster

Finally SOLVED....can't explain why, nor could Comcast, but they finally was able to get my modem re-associated with my account.  Thanks everyone for their help.

Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation