Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Online video playback choppy, buffering every 3-4 minutes

New Poster

Online video playback choppy, buffering every 3-4 minutes

I cant seem to get my online videos to play smoothly. I've read through other online threads of similar issues and am unable to solve this problem. To say I am disappointed in Xfinity and Comcast would be a bit of an understatement. With what I pay for our monthly subscription I expect seamless internet streaming. I own a new, Windows 8 Asus Laptop and do not experience these issues on any other video streaming website (Netflix, Hulu). I know you will ask for the following information on my device so here it is: 

My Device Information My Zip Code: Unknown My Cable Provider: Unknown Use Dac: True My Conroller ID: 163 My Map ID: 82 My Persona ID: 5135 My myDVR Manager Status: Not Installed My Set Top Box Names: Not Installed My Queue setup: False Facebook Queue Syncing: False Facebook Connect: False My public IP address: 66.31.182.125 My operating system: Windows - Undefined My web browser: Chrome 26 - Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.2; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.31 (KHTML, Like Gecko) Chrome/26.0.1410.64 Safari/537.31 My system type: Desktop Computer Or Other Device My Silverlight version: 5.1.20125.0 My Flash version: 11.7.700 Javascript: Enabled Cookies: Enabled (2030 Bytes). Time Information My Clock Time: Wed May 08 2013 19:23:04 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time) Server Clock Time: Wed May 08 2013 19:23:09 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

My Account Information In Home Authenticated: False Primary Account: True Provider Codes: Cy, Cd, Cf, Dm, Df, Cu, C, Eh, Bw, By, Bu, At, Bs, Ax, Ct, Cs, Cv, Db, Dr, Bl, Cw, Dy, Bo, K, Dg, J, Dt, Bn, Bi, Bj, Bq, Ce, Dx, Do, Bv, B, El, Di, Cx, Dj, Dq, De, Ei, Ds, H, D, Ci, A, Cn, Ea, Cb, Ch, Co, Eg, Dh, Cc Internet Subscriber: True Cable TV Subscriber: True Voice Subscriber: True

Thank you

New Poster

Re: Online video playback choppy, buffering every 3-4 minutes

All these people with the same problem and Comcast can't fix it after it has been more than a month people have complained.  Well, count me in on the same issue.  Buffering every 3-4 min and getting very annoyed with service.

My details:

My Device Information My Zip Code: Unknown My Cable Provider: Unknown Use Dac: True My Conroller ID: 177 My Map ID: 169 My Persona ID: 6616 My myDVR Manager Status: Not Installed My Set Top Box Names: Not Installed My Queue setup: False Facebook Queue Syncing: False Facebook Connect: False My public IP address: 198.243.253.250 My operating system: Windows - Undefined My web browser: Chrome 27 - Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, Like Gecko) Chrome/27.0.1453.73 Safari/537.36 My system type: Desktop Computer Or Other Device My Silverlight version: 5.1.20125.0 My Flash version: 11.7.700 Javascript: Enabled Cookies: Enabled (2127 Bytes). Time Information My Clock Time: Wed May 08 2013 19:59:40 GMT-0600 (Mountain Daylight Time) Server Clock Time: Wed May 08 2013 19:59:41 GMT-0600 (Mountain Daylight Time)

My Account Information In Home Authenticated: False Primary Account: True Provider Codes: S, Cy, Du, Cd, Cf, Ar, Dm, Cg, Cq, Df, Cu, Ee, U, Cz, Br, Eh, Bt, Bw, Bh, Bx, Dw, By, Bu, Dv, At, Bs, Ax, Ct, Cs, Cv, Db, Dr, Bm, Bl, Bp, Cw, Dy, Bo, Cj, K, Dg, Dn, J, Dt, Bn, Bi, Bj, Bq, Ce, Dx, Aw, Dc, Do, Da, Au, Bv, Ed, B, El, Di, Cx, Dj, Dq, De, Cm, Ds, H, D, Ci, A, Y, Cp, Cn, Ea, Cb, Ch, Eb, Bz, Co, Eg, Dp, Dh, Cc, F, M Internet Subscriber: True Cable TV Subscriber: True Voice Subscriber: False Watching Cars2, Amazing Spider-man, and Davinci Demons all have same issue.  Netflix, Hulu, HBOgo working perfectly fine.  Comcast this is getting to be the last straw. Corey
New Poster

The streaming service is a joke. They don't have enough servers to cover high demand, so you essentially have to watch shows at 3 in the morning if you do not want to be interrupted. It's a complete breach of the service agreement. Imagine if we all repeatedly stopped paying these clowns for 3-4 seconds every one or two minutes-- they'd go crazy. But because we're individual, powerless consumers who have no option other than to come on to a chat board to rant, they think they can get away with this. Well, I for one intend to dust off the compulsory arbitration clause of the service agreement-- this is a breach and I want a remedy. Install more servers you clowns!!!!

Regular Visitor

I'm getting the same buffering problem.  Sometimes it is so bad I can't watch it at all.  If it is a popular program forget about it.Its Mothers Day 2013 and I can't watch the Jesse Stone movies on Hallmark at all.  It is just black, it no longer even shows brief clips of the show.

In addition my On Demand only works from about 11:00PM until 10:00 AM.  This occurred occassionally prior to the increased internet speeds but, now it is a persistent problem.  At $160.00 a month I may go somewhere else if they cannot explain why this is and what they want to do about it.  Do wireless providers have these bufferring, bandwidth, (whatever they are) problems.

These guys are not doing their job but, they are charging premium prices.  I guess it really gets down to how badly I am willing to let them abuse me.

New Poster

Comcast Folks

This is really offensively poor customer service.

I spent over an hour in a supporty chat about this issue last week and was bounces to THREE seperate service techs, and each asked me the same questions over and over again and offered absolutely no help.

This is an outrage.  I dont mean to be dramatic, but its shockingly bad service and the unaccountability makes it much worse.

Please get this under cotrol asap,  Can't justify continuing to support a company that demonstrates such disregard for good customer service and unreliable product.   

Regular Contributor

This has been happening to me since the beginnning of the year. It seems that the problem started to affect us at different times, but more and more people are complaining about stuttering and overbuffering.

I suggest everyone that has this problem call customer support and demand reimbursement. Generally Comcast does not give compensation or discounts for a problem until the problem has been fixed (so they know how much to discount), but for an ongoing problem like this I would suggest you call at the end of a billing cycle. I called at the end of March to complain about this problem and was given 3 free months of a premium channel (since the problem had been affecting me for 3 months). I cant guarantee you will be given the same compensation, but make sure it is worth the service...meaning anywhere from 8.99/month (what Netflix costs) to $30-ish/month (what our cable service costs, roughly).

Good luck!

Contributor

Add me to the list.

I have a Mac, OSX 10.8, wired with the latest versions of all browsers, plugins and flash and I can't get anything to play without buffering.

Comcast - please don't even try to tell me that it's a network problem in my house.  Playback on wifi devices (iPad, phone, etc.) is fine.  Understood it's a lower bandwidth quality for wifi devices but even choosing the options for lower quality on the computer, it still doesn't help.

When will this be fixed?

Regular Visitor

It's actually been more than a month. It's been a year - there are threads dating back that long on this forum, and Comcast has yet to even respond to one.
New Poster

It's funny, because at the same time I am reading the post, I am looking at the dates and it is now January 2014 & I have the same issue!!! But they are now putting in Verizon Fios Hub in my area and soo, "Bon-voyage" Comcast!!!!

Problem Solver

Not to be pedantic, but "bon voyage" means "have a good trip".  You probably meant "au revoir".

Enjoy your transfer to Fios; adieu.

Regular Contributor

I see what you mean, but I also see how some people just want Comcast to GO AWAY. =)

On-topic, I think my stuttering woes are finally relenting. After the last update (around the time when the interface/HUD changed between thanskgiving and xmas) I've noticed that I can finally watch most stuff relatively smoothly. After just over a year they are finally getting things to work. I only got 6 months compensation last year too, guess I'll call and get 6 more months worth of discount.

They have a lot of work ahead of them to make me a happy Comcast customer, but at least now I'm a not-in-a-murderous-rage Comcast customer.

Contributor

Add Me to the list. I've found with most of Comcasts services all they care about is getting that money. If they put as much effort into their service as they do making sure they get paid the service would be perfect.

hbajwa90 wrote:

I cant seem to get my online videos to play smoothly. I've read through other online threads of similar issues and am unable to solve this problem. To say I am disappointed in Xfinity and Comcast would be a bit of an understatement. With what I pay for our monthly subscription I expect seamless internet streaming. I own a new, Windows 8 Asus Laptop and do not experience these issues on any other video streaming website (Netflix, Hulu). I know you will ask for the following information on my device so here it is: 

My Device Information My Zip Code: Unknown My Cable Provider: Unknown Use Dac: True My Conroller ID: 163 My Map ID: 82 My Persona ID: 5135 My myDVR Manager Status: Not Installed My Set Top Box Names: Not Installed My Queue setup: False Facebook Queue Syncing: False Facebook Connect: False My public IP address: 66.31.182.125 My operating system: Windows - Undefined My web browser: Chrome 26 - Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.2; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.31 (KHTML, Like Gecko) Chrome/26.0.1410.64 Safari/537.31 My system type: Desktop Computer Or Other Device My Silverlight version: 5.1.20125.0 My Flash version: 11.7.700 Javascript: Enabled Cookies: Enabled (2030 Bytes). Time Information My Clock Time: Wed May 08 2013 19:23:04 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time) Server Clock Time: Wed May 08 2013 19:23:09 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

My Account Information In Home Authenticated: False Primary Account: True Provider Codes: Cy, Cd, Cf, Dm, Df, Cu, C, Eh, Bw, By, Bu, At, Bs, Ax, Ct, Cs, Cv, Db, Dr, Bl, Cw, Dy, Bo, K, Dg, J, Dt, Bn, Bi, Bj, Bq, Ce, Dx, Do, Bv, B, El, Di, Cx, Dj, Dq, De, Ei, Ds, H, D, Ci, A, Cn, Ea, Cb, Ch, Co, Eg, Dh, Cc Internet Subscriber: True Cable TV Subscriber: True Voice Subscriber: True

Thank you

New Poster

Is there any solution to this problem?? Can't I change the server my computer uses to download the video?? I can't watch the video unless it's set to low. That isn't cool. This has been going on forever!!!!

New Poster

Video playback choppy, buffering every 3-4 minutes

I have only recently started Comcast, from Dish. I must say I do not like nor appreciate constant buffering, break up of pixels, and stuttering of speech. I am w/in my 30 day trial and I'm considering canceling.
Contributor

Re: Video playback choppy, buffering every 3-4 minutes

As you can see from the dates and the posts (none from Comcast) all they care about is that they get their money on time every month. Customers, Service, and living up to their word is their least worry.

New Poster

Re: Video playback choppy, buffering every 3-4 minutes

We need to report this to FTC