Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Not able to watch DVR Recordings from my computer ...

Frequent Visitor

Not able to watch DVR Recordings from my computer ...

I am recording the Democractic National Convention on my DVR.  And, I am on my Alienware machine upstairs

where I have nice air conditioning (only few rooms to save money), and I am trying to watch the DNC from my

Chrome browser through my fast home gigabit wired ethernet.  And, it is giving me DARNED ERRORS.  It 

should not do that.  It is saying you can only view it on "My Home Network"; well, I am at home.  

I am not pirating this, and I don't do that.  I just want to watch my SIMPLE DVR CONTENT that I have recorded

from home.  Here are the pictures to prove my point.

Now, darned, I have to go downstairs, waste more electricity to run the AC, and watch it on my crappier

TV since I cannot do it upstairs.  I sure wish I was a pirate, then I would not have stupid and simple problems

like this when I am just trying to watch the Politicians and Pundits who can save our arses from Trump.

SCREENSHOT -- #001 from Gbox (07-25-2016 @ 23-37).png
SCREENSHOT -- #002 from Gbox (07-25-2016 @ 23-37).png
Frequent Visitor

Re: Not able to watch DVR Recordings from my computer ...

The simple reason why you cannot watch content over a phone or any other device via Xfinity, even a Simpsons episode you recorded 4 weeks ago is for the money. I have no idea why Comcast/Exfinity make more money if you watch the show on your home TV but its true. I have no idea what the financial metrics are here but they obviously are enough to cause our provider to choose money over customer satisfaction. Finally, they are usually IT! You could not move to a different provider in many a place in the USA.

Official Employee

Re: Not able to watch DVR Recordings from my computer ...

bertdanger wrote:

The simple reason why you cannot watch content over a phone or any other device via Xfinity, even a Simpsons episode you recorded 4 weeks ago is for the money. I have no idea why Comcast/Exfinity make more money if you watch the show on your home TV but its true. I have no idea what the financial metrics are here but they obviously are enough to cause our provider to choose money over customer satisfaction. Finally, they are usually IT! You could not move to a different provider in many a place in the USA.

The rights to distribute content in-home (called "Title VI" rights) are entirely separate from the rights to stream content over the Internet (called "TV Everywhere" rights). When connected to your in-home XFINITY network, content is delivered as part of your cable TV service.  To stream content out of home, Comcast needs to secure TV Everywhere rights from the content creators/networks. Unfortunately, these aren't always available (e.g. CBS only allows us to stream their On Demand content over the Internet to computers, not mobile devices).  NFL only allows streaming of some games to tablets, not phones. It is a crazy, convoluted, and archaic labyrinth of restrictions but not because Comcast makes more money one way versus another. 

We have 200 live TV channels and 40,000 On Demand choices you can watch outside your home from anywhere in the USA. We add more channels each month and try to secure more TV Everywhere On Demand content. Our goal is to have zero difference between in-home and out-of-home - but it's going to take a while for the industry to align to get there.

I hope this helps explain. Please ask follow-up questions if you have them.

Best,
ComcastDan

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation