Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

No battery in my router

New Poster

No battery in my router

My modem has no battery, it has a place for a battery but it was never installed when we moved in. I did not notice it for a couple months, until I had an issue and when I contacted Comcast about this they told me I was wrong and there was a battery in it and basically if there was no battery I must have removed it. Yeah I always have a use for a giant battery that has a plug that only fits one way. So now it has been over a year and last week we had our first power outage so of course we had no battery backup and I had to reset all the connections when the power came on. 

We are moving in the next two months and I just can't wait for the installer to tell me there is no battery in my router and then I get the fantastic job of waiting on hold while Comcast transfers me from agent to agent and one or two dropped calls before I get an agent that will want to charge me for a battery. I know this because I have been with Comcast for over ten years and I have had to deal with the support team a few times thru the years. 

I know this is just my rant but I love the Comcast services, I can live with the higher prices because they are worth the extra money for the quality of the internet speeds, the cheep phone service and now the fact of not needing a contract. In closing if their phone support was even half as good as their in home service support they would be the perfect all around company but phone support ie calling in is a big flop between not knowing who to transfer to for the correct service or my favorite getting an agent that needs about five years of english lessons before they are aloud to have the job they are doing. 

WOW all this just because I opened the router and it reminded me I have no router battery. LOL

Problem Solver

Re: No battery in my router

Comcast has not issued batteries with the eMTA's for a few years now.
Regular Visitor

My "ABSOLUTE" favorite part of this and other attempts of Comcast to "save money" while reducing customer service is that I was recently told I HAD to have triple play in order to get the new X1 box. Let me be perfectly clear here: since Jan 1, 2014, i've spent upwards of 20-30 hours on the phone (hold, beng transfered, talking to salesmen that have no idea about the tech side of things) and I've just about had it. I have always owned my own equipment. ALWAYS! Yet, every so often, they simply begin charging me $7/month for cable modem rental.

AS FOR THE GATEWAYS... Comcast is now requiring people to get their phone service as part of Triple Play to be eligible for the X1. So, now I'm FORCED to deal with Comcast controlled gateway that I cannot configure, cannot stand, and cannot believe they are charging me for. Why you ask? BECAUSE all those gateways (regardless of having turned off the wifi) still emit an XfinityWiFi signal. So, basically, I am paying Comcast for providing them with infrastructure. This cannot be legal. 

Official Employee

Hightide, you can get a standalone emta and not a gateway for your phone service and still use your personal modem for internet, just tell your installer what you need.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

I think  It is RIDICULOUS of Comcast to Charge an Equipment FEE and Not Provide the Battery.

For six month out of the Year Florida is under the threat of Hurricane.
Thousands of CC Customers are going to be PIZZED when the next storm hits and theyt are without EMERGENCY COMMUNICATIONS Capabilities.

Some Senior Citizen is going to need Emergency Assistnace and Their VIOP Cable Modem Router will be w/o power...
Let the CLASS ACTION LAW SUIT Beging!!!

New Poster

I installed a new Comcast EMTA for my father-in-law about a year ago.  It has a spot for a battery, but no battery.  There was a warning in the paper work stating that there was no battery and the phone would not work in the event of a power outage.  The warning said a battery could be purchased.

I miss my days of Cox.  The provided the power to the phone just like a POT.