Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

New streaming codec is trash

Regular Visitor

New streaming codec is trash

Adding my voice to the chorus here. I have a high-end computer and no matter what browser I use to try to stream television it's choppy and demanding far great resources than it has any business doing. It's been junk for weeks now. Just revert the thing and cut your losses.

Service Expert

Re: New streaming codec is trash

@Disgruntled5 wrote:

Adding my voice to the chorus here. I have a high-end computer and no matter what browser I use to try to stream television it's choppy and demanding far great resources than it has any business doing. It's been junk for weeks now. Just revert the thing and cut your losses.

there is a known issue that affects random customers for random amounts of time. It appears that during peak times some servers are at over capacity for programs to be recorded. The errors cause the servers to move customers around to less 'full' servers over time.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Regular Visitor

And that has what to do with watching live programs? It's not a bandwidth or "fullness" problem, it's bad encoding. Please stop spreading this misinformation.

New Poster

Agreed.  I has been trash the past few weeks and I wind up just going directly to broadcasters sites to watch shows where I have no issues.

Only when watching through Xfinity Streaming does the stuttering happen and makes everything unwatchable.

Service Expert

@Disgruntled5 wrote:

And that has what to do with watching live programs? It's not a bandwidth or "fullness" problem, it's bad encoding. Please stop spreading this misinformation.

other than for TVgo channels provided streams by 3rd parties, Comcasts streams 720p mpeg4 to your devices (with exception of SD channels 480p). Do you mean the mpeg4 encoding when referring to a codec?

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Visitor

Yes, it's either that or whatever the streaming site is using to decode that same information. This did not begin until they updated the video overlay. My computer behaves exactly as it would were I to open and play a damaged video file, ie random resource spikes that stutter not only the video itself but my entire computer (observed via input lag, proven with resource monitor). Any video quality, any browser I've tested.

Service Expert

@Disgruntled5 wrote:

Yes, it's either that or whatever the streaming site is using to decode that same information. This did not begin until they updated the video overlay. My computer behaves exactly as it would were I to open and play a damaged video file, ie random resource spikes that stutter not only the video itself but my entire computer (observed via input lag, proven with resource monitor). Any video quality, any browser I've tested.

I have escalated your issue to the Comcast Team available to these forums. Check back often for a reply in this thread from a Comcast Official Employee.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Visitor

Thanks Rustyben, sorry if I was a bit harsh to you. Just tired of reading all these threads with the same issue where the boilerplate answer doesn't seem to fit with what's happening, even if it's the official line. I appreciate your help in getting more eyes on this problem.

Official Employee

Hi Disgruntled5, 

I can help. Can you please verify your first and last name, and the phone number or account number associated with your services in a private message? 

To send a private message click on my name "ComcastChe", then click private message me

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Xfinity Events:
WATCHATHON 2018... See More
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation