New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

New Cable Boxes not Eligible?

ANSWERED
Contributor

New Cable Boxes not Eligible?

Last week we got a new cable box from Comcast.

DCT3412/2305

I noticed I lost the ability to change the channel from my PC. I talked to a rep who told me that it would take 24-48 hours to sync up.

I waited, then tried about 5 days later, still nothing.

When I go to

http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/mytv/cable-boxes

Under TV Control, I have the message "TV Control is not available for this cable box. Why?" When I click on the link Why, http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/xfinity-apps/setting-up-the-cable-tv-app/

I'm not trying to set up an app, I'm trying to change the channel via the webpage here. http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/tv-listings.

I was told my account might not be provisioned for it, they reset my account (I had been doing this already for months, and I can still do it in the other rooms)

I was told my area might not be eligible (I can change the boxes in my other 2 rooms)

I was told to clear my browser cache (It's a cable box setting on their end)

I was told to use the ipad app instead (I don't have an ipad)

I was told"there is no way for you to use the computer as a remote control. You will be provided with a separate remote control for your TV."

Then I was told the box I have wasn't able to have that function.

Really? I brand new box does not have this ability?

Let me make clear that I can change the channels fine to the other 2 boxes, and was able to do in this room up until the box switch out.

Is it really the new box?

Thanks.

For the record, currently I am on transfer #5 and I am speaking to my 6th person via Comcast chat.... maybe someone is lurking here that can assist faster.

Accepted Solution

Re: New Cable Boxes not Eligible?

This is finally solved.

The resolution was getting a new box sent out.

View answer in context
Contributor

Make this 6 transfers... 7 reps.

Last rep didn't even say anything to me but this....

Felix: Please wait, while the problem is escalated to another analyst

analyst John has entered room

xxxxxxxxxx: My Issue: We got a new cable box this week, Monday or Tuesday. It's been working fine, but I can no longer change the channels to this box via xfinity on the internet. I was told it would take 24-48 hours but it's been quite a bit longer.

analyst Felix has left room

analyst Felix has left room

John: Please wait, while the problem is escalated to another analyst

xxxxxxxxxxMy Issue: We got a new cable box this week, Monday or Tuesday. It's been working fine, but I can no longer change the channels to this box via xfinity on the internet. I was told it would take 24-48 hours but it's been quite a bit longer.

analyst John has left room

Cable Expert

My belief is that since you waited days and it is still not working it is still a code issue with your account.  Normally a new box can take a few days for the databases to sync up, which you already have waited.

Your box is certainly eligible, I'd power cycle the dvr one more time, and then it it doesn't show up, you will have to contact Comcast phone support again.  Unplug the AC power for a full two minutes, then power it up again.  Check it in an hour or even overnight.

There is no other reason other than coding issues on the account.  That model DVR is far from new but will work with these advanced features.

The belief around the forums is phone support is better during the weekdays, and stay away from online chat which the belief is 100% outsourced and poor at best.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Contributor

Absolutely the worst customer service experience I've ever had.

2 hours later and 8 reps later, I walk away unresolved.

My husband was also on the phone with them while I was on chat and the guy he was speaking to shut off our modem and I lost the connection. The guy that he was speaking to kept asking my husband for his Comcast password so that he could log into his account, which we wouldn't give. I don't understad why a comcast rep could not see the account without asking for our personal password. Apparently this is common practice there.

Last thing I saw before the internet cut off was postive. But to be honest, I don't have the energy to open a new chat and start all over again so I just have to hope that this last agent follows through.

Marnie: All we need to do is to update /synchronize your equipments. I will also be refreshing your equipment and to set proper expectation this will take 24 hours to take effect.

Marnie: Seena, I also see here that upon the installation of the new cable box, a signal refresh was not sent to it to have it updated online. That is one of the reason you are getting this error.

Seena: Ok

Seena: So it should be good tomorrow

Marnie: That is correct, Seena. I really do apologize if you were given the run around for this.

Marnie: Let me first work on this for you together with my cable department friend beside me.

I will be filing an official complaint tomorrow.

Official Employee

Moretakitty wrote:

Absolutely the worst customer service experience I've ever had.

2 hours later and 8 reps later, I walk away unresolved.

My husband was also on the phone with them while I was on chat and the guy he was speaking to shut off our modem and I lost the connection. The guy that he was speaking to kept asking my husband for his Comcast password so that he could log into his account, which we wouldn't give. I don't understad why a comcast rep could not see the account without asking for our personal password. Apparently this is common practice there.

Last thing I saw before the internet cut off was postive. But to be honest, I don't have the energy to open a new chat and start all over again so I just have to hope that this last agent follows through.

Marnie: All we need to do is to update /synchronize your equipments. I will also be refreshing your equipment and to set proper expectation this will take 24 hours to take effect.

Marnie: Seena, I also see here that upon the installation of the new cable box, a signal refresh was not sent to it to have it updated online. That is one of the reason you are getting this error.

Seena: Ok

Seena: So it should be good tomorrow

Marnie: That is correct, Seena. I really do apologize if you were given the run around for this.

Marnie: Let me first work on this for you together with my cable department friend beside me.

I will be filing an official complaint tomorrow.

Our team is currently working on your issue. I will update you when I learn more.

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Contributor

Thank you. I appreciate your response.

I have sent in a complaint email as well.

Seena

Contributor

Response was a standard "We are sorry" email.

So this is the only way I can likely get resolution. Thank you again for looking into it.

Seena

Silver Problem Solver

click the tv tab top of this page.

then click on your tv, then dvr manager

then dvr settings on the middle left

in there make sure tv control radio button is selected as yes.

Contributor

I wish it were that simple, but I am not able to do that.

When I go to

http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/mytv/cable-boxes

The DVR box that I want to control has the message below

TV Control is not available for this cable box. Why?

Silver Problem Solver

this is the dct box?   that is totally incorrect your account at comcasts end is not coded right,   you need to keep calling until you get someone with a brain that can help you

Contributor

Yeah it's the DCT3412/2305 box.

I'm giving ComcastJoe here a chance, he said they were looking into it... besides, I don't want to spend another 2 hous on the phone and transferred over and over.

Thanks for the reply rog!

Official Employee

Someone should be calling you today. If you are not home, please check your messages.

Sorry,
Joe

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Contributor

Someone called today while my husband was in a meeting. He asked them to call back tonight at 8pm.

No call back yet, but it's only 8:15. Any idea if someone will acutally be calling back?

Thanks,

Seena

Regular Visitor

Joe (or anyone else for that matter), can you tell me when the Northern VA area will be set up for this service?  Early last year I was told "Late 2011" and now it still says "not available in your area."  At first I was told that I just needed a new box like a Motorola, but then I was told that no box would work until the cable lines were modified.  This is what you would call the "Scientific Atlanta" market.

Contributor

Still not resolved.

They did not call us back the first night, then on the second day, they again called during the day and my husband said the same thing when she asked if it was resolved.

He said, no it's not resolved, no one called us back. Please call back tonight, as he is at work.

No call last night either.

This is getting crazy. FIrst the 2 hour long chat session with many transfers to other reps, now this? This is infuriating and totally unprofessional.

Can we get someone to please take ownership of this issue and get it resolved please?

Contributor

Still waiting a call....

Do I risk spending another 2 hours and get someone who knows nothing about the situation or is someone actually going to contact us?

Official Employee

Moretakitty wrote:

Still waiting a call....

Do I risk spending another 2 hours and get someone who knows nothing about the situation or is someone actually going to contact us?

Our team called on 6/17 about 7 PM and provided help. The person they talked to then asked us to call back on 6/20 to make sure that everything was working smoothly.

Did they not call or did someone else not relay that message?

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Contributor

Well Joe, as you can see, they called yesterday, which was after my post.

Yes I can confirm that they called yesterday. They made a suggestionthat we tried when we got home which did not work unfortunately so we are awaiting the call back on Wednesday for further assistance.

Contributor

This is still going on...

Someone whoops, closed my ticket.

I've been calling every couple of days to get an update as they told me they sent it to Engineers and it would take 24-48 hours (I was eventually told up to 72 hours.)

Last time I called, they said the ticket was closed and what was the problem I am having. Needless to say I was HIGHLY annoyed. She told me that she would refer me to a department to open a new ticket and she would track my ticket. When she transfers me, the rep says, "So you are having trouble using the on demand menu?" I said, "No". The rep asked me what was the problem I was having and I told him, that he should have the ticket there, as I was not explaining it again. He says I need to tell him the issue to be able to help me and I replied that no, I was not going through all this again, please get me a supervisor.

I got the supervisor who did his research and understood my problem clearly and was very helpful. He opened a new ticket for me and this is where we are.

Contributor

So I did not get a call back. And here it is, way past 72 hours and I decide to call in to see what's up.

I am told AGAIN that my ticket is closed and can I please call Customer Support to open a new ticket.

I said absolutely not, I am not going through all of this explanation again and she says she will research further.

She says that she will need to have another ticket open and she will call me back tomorrow and to be honest, I am so fed up, I want a supervisor. How many times has someone said that I will get a call back and I NEVER do?

My time apparently is valuable to no-one at this company because it apparently acceptable to spend hours on the phone and chat re-explaning my issue over and over again, tell me I'm going to get a call back, I never do and then just closing my issue so that I can spend many hours more on the phone having more tickets open.

So now I have to wait for someone to call me back. Since I am moving this week, I will likely have to wait till Monday.

This is by far the worst experience I have ever had with any company hands down, Comcast gets the prize for worst customer service anywhere for total disregard of a client's time and patience.

Regular Visitor

I had the same exact problem that you have described. The solution.  The cable box was previously owned and the number was associated with the old owners account. as soon as that was taken care of i now can control the box from the web site and Apps.

Contributor

Thanks, I'll ask them if this could be he problem when they fail to call me back on Monday and I call them annoyed in frustration on Tuesday.

But seriously moneyman, thanks, I appreciate your post!

Contributor

So not surprisingly, on Monday, July 9th, I did not get a call.

I called them back this morning and the rep said she would escalate it. 6pm here, and I call back, asking them where my call back is and they say we can go through some basica trouble shooting and open you a ticket... I said no, absolutely not. I've done all the basic troubleshooting, I've had 2 tickets that were accidentally closed, I am not doing it again.

I then ask her for the supervisor that was supposed to call me back and the rep says she will find out.

The supervisor I spoke to last week comes on the line and she apologizes and asks me if she can open a ticket and call me back without me having to go through the troubleshooting and I say that's fine. The rep that is supposed to call me back should be calling tomorrow.

Still no closer to being resolved.

Contributor

Did not get a call back last week... I was at a conference anyway Thursday and Friday.

Tried calling tonight, after waiting 2 hours for someone to answer, I fianlly gave up my place in the queue.

Back again tomorrow for another update.

Contributor

Called back today... was told that my issue was escalated and that someone would call me back today.

No call.

No surprise there.

Contributor

2 days later, still no call.

I called back and she said they will run (yet again) another diagnostic on the cable box. Can I go get the serial number. I said no, I've given it to you all over and over, you should have it there. It can't be too hard to figure it out, it is the only DVR box. She said she'd do this and call back.

She calls back (the wrong number as I have told them over and over to call my cell which I give them over and over) and tells my husband that we need to switch out the box. Oh and BTW, if we want someone to deliver it, it's going to cost us. Let me get this straight, we need to pay to switch out a box that was given to us broken in the first place?

This has got to be a joke right??? A TV Show that tests the limits of people's limits for poor customer service? Right? This level of poor customer service really cannot exist, can it?

Contributor

This is finally solved.

The resolution was getting a new box sent out.