Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

NETFLIX SUPER HD??

Regular Contributor

NETFLIX SUPER HD??

Well, it turns out that Comcast will lock down the conversation if they don’t like what you have to say (see Netflix Super HD?). It’s a clever way of burying a topic they don’t want to deal with. So I’ve resurrected the thread under a slightly different name. We need to keep this topic in the limelight.

Netflix’s March speed results for the US reveal that Comcast still ranks in the mediocre range (#7 out of 17). Netflix also ranks ISPs internationally - a total of 8 countries in all. In terms of average speed, Comcast’s speed of 2.09 ranks below the average speed in all countries except Ireland and Mexico. Comcast even ranks lower than the LOWEST speed in half of the Scandinavian countries. Here are the rankings…

http://ispspeedindex.netflix.com/usa

It should bother all of us who a pay a premium for sub-par speeds (I pay $49.95/month for 6 down/1 up speed which is ridiculous) while the Comcast executives collect their multi-million dollar paychecks. Comcast really should join Netflix’s Open Connect and give their customers something to brag about. Anyway, our widespread dissatisfaction needs to be parlayed into political action to encourage some type of regulatory control or judicial action. Maybe we could get better prices and speeds if the U.S. Department of Justice initiated an antitrust lawsuit and broke up this monopoly like they did against AT&T in the 1970s. Here’s a must see video on the telecommunications monopoly. Free market competition just isn’t working as you will see…

http://billmoyers.com/segment/susan-crawford-on-why-u-s-internet-access-is-slow-costly-and-unfair/

Here’s a good written article…

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/28/opinion/break-up-the-telecom-cartels.html?_r=0

Silver Problem Solver

Re: NETFLIX SUPER HD??

you should get a better package I would never pay that for that speed, ridiculous.  Have you called to see what they can do for you.   you need to get a triple play going and get a docsis 3.0 modem comcast just doubled the speed in my area to 50down 10 up for free.

Regular Contributor

I’m what you would call a minimalist: I want to pay Comcast as little as I possibly can. We have Comcast’s Performance Starter which is advertised at 6 down and 1 up for $49.95/month but there are no fees or taxes added and no need to rent their box. We have no Comcast cable TV or voice. We have free access to basic network HD TV but never watch it as the commercials make up nearly 1/3 of every viewing hour. I think we have been spoiled by Netflix in this regard...the ability to enjoy commercial free TV has been a welcome change. In fact, I think Comcast should pay us to watch those dumb commercials. Republic Wireless is our choice for voice, so no landline or Comcast for that either. As cord-cutters, we use the Roku for all of our TV viewing. My only beef with the Roku has been its inability to decode Dolby Digital 5.1 plus. The Performance Starter is more than adequate to stream Netflix and Vudu in HD but I need to say that we are a hardwired single stream household. Some other channels will buffer occasionally but Netflix and Vudu are near perfect. I’ve also noticed that there is a tendency to think that “more is better” when it comes to internet speed but the concept of “good enough” seems to be overlooked. Comcast’s Performance Starter is more than “good enough” for all our TV viewing as well as VOIP and internet use but it just feels like we are being fleeced.

Silver Problem Solver

thanks for the clarity I did not know you were a cord cutter.  Good for you.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation