Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

My xfinity TV Remote app has stopped working!

Frequent Visitor

My xfinity TV Remote app has stopped working!

My xfinity TV Remote app has stopped working. It appears that something changed on 8/13/14 that broke the app's ability to communicate/sync with my DVR. I am using an iPad, ios7' dvr=dct6416 III. Worked fine for years, now the app is junk. I can't change channels or set recordings from the app. I've power cycled everything and did an app delete+reinstall, no luck. Comcast chat support had no answers for me. Same problem on my wife's iPad mini.

I have also lost the ability to set recordings or tune to a channel using my PC. So the problem obviously lies with the DVR. The remote app sees the DVR on my network but can not communicate with it!

I'm in NJ.
New Poster

Re: My xfinity TV Remote app has stopped working!

Same in Florida. Someone threw the switch on the Aug 10th. my Explorer and Xfinity disappeared like I didn't pay my bill??A??

I called 6 times to get a service call but kept getting cancelled by the HUTA '[heads uppa your a_ _

jmolli wrote:
My xfinity TV Remote app has stopped working. It appears that something changed on 8/13/14 that broke the app's ability to communicate/sync with my DVR. I am using an iPad, ios7' dvr=dct6416 III. Worked fine for years, now the app is junk. I can't change channels or set recordings from the app. I've power cycled everything and did an app delete+reinstall, no luck. Comcast chat support had no answers for me.

I'm in NJ.

Go git um
]. man they got to change Jails to git better IT's.

Regular Contributor

Can you private message me with your Comcast ID, name, phone number, plus any applicable screen shots.

I can investigate with our support team. 

Thanks,

Sharon

Regular Visitor

My mom's stopped working last weekend, as of 8/9!!! We are in Georgia, she is disabled and cannot use the regular tv remote so she has relied on this app on her ipad.  Local Xfinity rep has come out to her home, with no luck of fixing anything.  they have no idea how to help her.  Please advise, we are LOST without it!!!  

Thank you! 

Frequent Visitor

Clkent23'

Can you reply with your DVR or Cable box brand and model. Also your iPad IOS version.

John
Frequent Visitor

Xfinity_Sharon wrote:

Can you private message me with your Comcast ID, name, phone number, plus any applicable screen shots.

I can investigate with our support team. 

Thanks,
Sharon

Sharon,

Pivate Message sent. Comcast phone support has been frustrating and fruitless in solving this problem. Please help.

John
Regular Visitor

The dvr is Onkyo DVD player D\V SP301. Her iPad has iOS 7.1.2.
Thank you!!
Frequent Visitor

Sharon,

I replied two days ago via Private Message with the requested info. Will I be hearing back from you? The problem has not been resolved.

John
Frequent Visitor

All FYI,

I'm not one to give up when faced with a technical problem, I work in IT. I have continued to make calls to Comcast support. I had already concluded that this was a problem on Comcast's end, since the TV Remote App had stopped working on two different iPads that I have and the web based DVR Manager functionality (which can also change channels and set recordings from a PC) had also stopped functioning from several different PC's that I have.

After my fifth call to support over the last four days, Comcast has finally determined that their systems are the problem and offered that they have had multiple reports of this issue from other users . They tried sending a full reset to my DVR, stating I would lose any recordings due to the reset. That wasn't a problem for me, I would rather have the TV Remote app working and the none of my saved recordings were important to me. Well after the reset, I still had my recordings on the DVR (1st bad sign), they said to wait eight hours and then do an iPad app uninstall - reinstall on my iPads. Well that didn't work either (2nd bad sign). (Don't be fooled, the iPad app will appear to be setting recordings on your iPad, but they do not record on your DVR). Finally, I tried the DVR Manager functionality on my PC and that still doesn't work (3rd bad sign).

At least I was told that the issue has been elevated to Engineering and they are working on their systems to find a solution. I was told I would hear from them sometime over the next three days. Hopefully they can work it out quickly and get things working again. 

Frequent Visitor

All,

Here is the "NO_FLUX" error I'm seeing on my DVR in the Remote Access Setup page:

RemoteAccessProbScreenShot 8-21-14.JPG

Frequent Visitor

This message thread and the total lack of a response from Xfinity_Sharon and Xfinity Engineering (see my long 8/22/14 post) are a testimony to just how bad Comcast's customer service can be. When you are basically a "monopoly" re: cable service in my area, I guess you can get by with poor customer service.

John
Frequent Visitor

Can someone from Comcast please verify that the DVR shoWn in my account details is "correctly registered to my account". There are several other posts where folks had the same problem as me. The " registration" was the solution to the DVR Manager and TV Remote App issues.

Please Help,

John
Regular Visitor

I have not heard back in a WEEK! Please provide an update of what the problem is and how long it will take to fix. My mom cannot change channels unless someone else is with her now. Thank you
Frequent Visitor

Clkent23,

I am not a Comcast person. You should call 1-800-Comcast and report your problem. Unfortunately, I have tried that route and nobody could help me.

I have a tech coming to replace my DVR this afternoon (although I'm certain now that the DVR is not the problem). Through reading posts on this forum by others who had the exact same problems as me, the resolution has been a "re-registration" of your DVR with your account.

I'm hoping that getting a new DVR requires them to do this "DVR registration" with my account and my problems will finally be solved. I'll report back with a post to this forum.

John

Frequent Visitor

The new DVR didn't fix the issue. It turned out that something had been changed in my account settings at Comcast. They "checked my rates" and made some changes to my account. Six hours later all was well again!

John
Regular Visitor

John,

Thanks for the updates - do you know what they had to do to your account to fix your problem?  I'll call them and ask them to do the same and see if that helps my mom.  

Frequent Visitor

As I mentioned in my note above. The key thing to request is to have them  "checked your rates" (use those exact words) and make sure your account is correctly set up to reflect what you are subscribed to get from Comcast as far as programming. Also mention that "DVR Manager is not working" (instead of mentioning the iPad app is not working). Also mention that "Video on Demand" is not working if that is part of the services you subscribe to from Comcast.

Good luck, it took me about 15 calls to Customer Service and one tech visit to get things straightened out. It's the luck of the draw whether the customer service rep who answers your call will be knowledgable enough to figure out your problem.

Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation