Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Ipad3 cannot play now using xfinity app

Frequent Visitor

Ipad3 cannot play now using xfinity app

I set up the iPad and it controls the tvs oaky but I can't watch play now shows. I have tried using app directly and thru safari. When I select a recent tv show it tells me to download the xfinity app which is already installed. I deleted the app and started over accepting to download and install again. Still will not work. I have gone into all the settings on Comcast web site. I cannot see which items are being used. I know there are notes about using only three computers etc at a time but none are listed thru ipad. Does anyone know how to get it to work. Every time I select the app all it allows me to do is watch a show on my tv or record etc. thank you. Joan
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Ipad3 cannot play now using xfinity app

you can only watch what is listed on the play now tab.  If you open the app and go to play now and pick a show what happens.?

Frequent Visitor

all old tv shows and movies are displayed and can be watched. if I go to Networks sows  me premium channels like HBO etc. no network channels like ABC etc show up. If I can not see any normal network  stationsone tv show.  I can not find even steampix only old tv shows from like 2 years and more ago. If I select a recent tv show from play now it will not play. I just tried to watch Rizzoli and Isles which is only a year old and I got a message sorry we are experiencing some difficutly with your video. I looked at all the tv shows listed and not one is from a normal network station now that how it works I can only watch premium channels? Oh I just found the Mentalist CBS  2 videos from 2009 this is crazy.

How come if I go to the Xfiniy web page and select tv I see all the new shows and if I click on play I get the message I need to download the Xfinity App if it can not be used? I was also under the impression I could watch ON Demand shows on the Ipad and I see I can not.

I just went to the App store and looked at the description and it says I should be able to watch network channels and premium ones but I can not see any regular network shows to watch with the App.

Thank you

Silver Problem Solver

You are correct, there are no network shows on there.  The videos are mostly old for tv, its more about getting the cable shows on there.  You are watching on demand type shows on the ipad, but not everything you get on your cable box.  The licensing agreements between the networks only allow certain shows to be shown on certain devices.  For example you will see your choices on your pc are much greater because who wants to sit and watch shows on your pc you want to do it on your mobile device or on your tv.

If you  go into the app and choose "networks"  you will see there are no regular networks listed.  The only wat to see a network show is to choose streampix and then you will see network programming but its years old.  That is how it is.  Xfinity is trialing a service that will let you watch live tv on your ipad but thats going to be a while. 

Frequent Visitor

I found away to watch the 3 largest networks on my ipad by downloading the ABC and NBC apps I can watch all the new shows I can using my pc also using a web browser I was able to to go CBS.com and watch their newer shows. Not sure why Xfinity app can not allow the same access. It is the same device the apps are free I do noy have to use hulu or netflix with a subscription. I can see soaps that were on the previous day as well as prime time shows that were on only a day or so earlier and previous newer episodes. CBS has adapted their normal web site to play on the ipad. Not sure about your theory of having licensing agreements for certain devices it may be just between Xfinity and the networks. If you are able to get Optimum cable you can watch live tv my son has them in NY and can watch on ipads and itouches.

Thank you for your reply I hope what I found out helps you watch newer shows you just can not use the play now with Xfinity to do it I have not tried other channels as yet.

Silver Problem Solver

Thanks for the info. I was not aware that cbs had changed their site to allow ipad viewing. 

New Poster

I have the same problem.... Any advice you've gotten?
Frequent Visitor

Comcast just does not have the ability to watch most TV shows from normal channels on Apple products. You can download app for ABC,com and NBC.com and TV.com will allow you to see CBS and a few other channels of shows. Still very frustrating can not use play now feature unless you want to see premium channels only. You can do a search on Itunes and find other apps that allow some recent tv shows but very limited or can only see clips.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation