members

online now

discussions

Heartbeat error

Posted by
Visitor
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 1 of 15
Hi, I keep getting a "heartbeat" error during ondemand playback via the xfinity website. If I retry it resumes playback but then a few minutes later it happens again.
IMG_3447.JPG
IMG_3449.JPG
14 REPLIES
Posted by
Contributor

Message 2 of 15

I got that error a few times when my internet was having issues. You more than likely have packet loss with your internet. It is what caused it with mine. 

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 3 of 15

Non-Helpful, Inappropriate Reply Removed from the Forums.

Posted by
Visitor
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 4 of 15

Just joking! Smiley Happy Hey, just clear your web browser cache. That will solve the problem. :

Posted by
Contributor

Message 5 of 15

I am getting this error too and as with most errors you will get on comcast they have nothing to do with your PC or network.

Ignore the clear your cache and clear your flash cache. It has nothing to do with this.

It is a comcast server issue just like the 500 asomething errors. Comcast for over 2 years was blaming customers for the 500 something error many were receiving back then before the website upgrade, but they did finally admit it was their servers fault. At one time the same error even took on a new number just to obfuscate.

Comcast told me today they would refresh and resync my channels, so if thet helps then great but at this time it thas not. I was told it would take up to an hour but that was 2 hours ago. I am hoping i can watch a show tomorrow but i doubt it.

Once an error at comcast strikes it seems to stick with you just to make sure you are unhappy about your service. The heartbeat error or what ever it is the name is a bad choice for error reporting.

Good Luck

Posted by
Contributor

Message 6 of 15

I am getting this error too and as with most errors you will get on comcast they have nothing to do with your PC or network.

Ignore the clear your cache and clear your flash cache. It has nothing to do with this.

It is a comcast server issue just like the 500 asomething errors. Comcast for over 2 years was blaming customers for the 500 something error many were receiving back then before the website upgrade, but they did finally admit it was their servers fault. At one time the same error even took on a new number just to obfuscate.

Comcast told me today they would refresh and resync my channels, so if thet helps then great but at this time it thas not. I was told it would take up to an hour but that was 2 hours ago. I am hoping i can watch a show tomorrow but i doubt it.

Once an error at comcast strikes it seems to stick with you just to make sure you are unhappy about your service. The heartbeat error or what ever it is the name is a bad choice for error reporting.

Good Luck

Posted by
Visitor

Message 7 of 15

Upgrade your version of flash that you have installed, and the problem will go away. 

Posted by
Contributor

Message 8 of 15

Using chrome can't do that. Unless you now of some special way?

Posted by
Contributor

Message 9 of 15

My chrome is up to date and so is Edge. They both use different versions of flash if i am understanding the situation correctly. I could install and try the antiquated Firefox but nah.

I believe in the past the errors were due to failed security implementaion and or ad video analytics.

In this case flash heartbeat is analytics. I would assume they are requesting to much  or something on my PC is blocking it from sending data.

Below is the adobe heartbeat analytics faq.

Measuring Video FAQ

This topic provides answers to common questions.

What platforms does the new heartbeat solution support?

Currently, heartbeat measurement supports JavaScript, Flash, iOS and Android. See Before you Implement for details.

Can I use both milestone and heartbeat models at same time?

Yes. Within the same company and report suite, you can have players running both the milestone (legacy) video tracking and our new heartbeat tracking. Depending on how you configure, the video canned reports within Adobe Analytics may only show the new heartbeat data but any custom variable reports will contain video metrics from both solutions.

Can I, as the customer, change the frequency of heartbeats?

No, the default heartbeat frequency is ten seconds for both content in ads. In a future release, we do expect to lower heartbeat frequency for ads down to five seconds.

How do I send in additional metadata into Adobe Analytics during the video playback?

With the new video heartbeat tracking, the old way of sending in additional metadata via the Media-monitor is gone. Video metadata and any other additional data will now go directly onto the AppMeas object. All metadata should be sent on the initial call into Adobe Analytics and be managed via auto-classifications.

What video reports will I see within Adobe Analytics if I still have the milestone implementation?

There are three new video canned reports: Video Overview, Video Detail, and Video Daypart. Both milestone and heartbeat implementations will see these same new reports, provided they are configured and enabled within the Admin console.

Why do I have to negotiate new stream pricing before implementing the heartbeat solution?

The new heartbeat tracking solution comes with a new stream-based pricing model. Server calls will no longer be used to calculate the cost of tracking a video stream. Before implementing the new heartbeat solution, customers must reach out to their account manager and/or sales representative to update their contract and include new stream-based pricing. Benefit to the customer is that new pricing should stabilize the cost of video tracking and it should be easier to forecast and budget overall video analytics spend.

What is a heartbeat and what data is included in that heartbeat?

A heartbeat is a "ping" to our servers letting us know the viewer is still watching the video. Heartbeats are also sent during certain events centered around quality of service like a video error and/or buffer). The actual heartbeat includes: QoS data (related to Primetime), user metadata, asset metadata, event timestamps, and Analytics metadata.

How big are the heartbeats and will it impact performance?

Average heartbeat is 1Kb and should not impact performance.

What is a Publisher ID and how do I get one?

The Publisher ID is used to configure the XML document for a customer's specific implementation. Without the ID, the player will throw 404 errors in debug mode, however, the video will still be tracked and heartbeats sent.

Note: Existing customers using the Publisher ID can continue using it, but we recommend that you start using your Marketing Cloud Org ID instead. Contact Adobe Customer Care to obtain a Marketing Cloud Org ID.

Can I use players provided by other vendors, such as Brightcove, thePlatform, etc?

Yes, Adobe is player agnostic and it doesn't matter what player is used. However, in order for data to be collected, aggregated, and reported upon, each individual player needs to make those events available. Adobe is working with several of the largest player provider vendors to make sure their players are compatible with our new heartbeat solution.

What is a solution variable?

A solution variable, sometimes called a "reserved" variable, is a variable that Adobe has allocated specifically to track and measure certain events and/or attributes. With a solution variable, a customer won't need to utilize one of their existing custom variables. Solution variables allocated for video include:

• Video Core: Video Name, Content Type, Player Name, Channel, Video Starts, Video Completes, and Video Time Spent.

• Video Ads: Ad Name, Ad Player Name, Pod Name, Ad Position in Pod, Ad Starts, Ad Completes, and Ad Time Spent.

If I've already configured certain custom variables for video tracking, can I continue to use them?

Yes. For video content, we allow customer to use their current custom variables for video name, content type, video start, video time spent, and video complete. By mapping your existing variables, you will not see a break in data from our canned video reports. However, for video ad tracking we will use solution variables by default for all customers.

Why does Adobe want to track my video ads?

With the new video reports, content data and ad data is integrated to provide insights into how programmers/publishers can optimize their ad loads and thus their monetization opportunities with the least amount of impact to viewer engagement.

What happens to my server call commitments if I move to video-stream pricing?

Your account manager/sales representative will work with you on providing a new stream price while at the same time understanding how migration will lower overall server call usage and update commitments accordingly.

Will I need consulting to help with new video heartbeat implementation?

Adobe generally recommends a consulting engagement with any new video implementation. Here are some general guidelines around hours but may vary greatly per customer depending on customization and requirements:

Video Consulting Hours

Single Platform

Multi-Platform

Known and Documented

20 hours

30 hours

Unknown/Non-Documented

40 hours

50 hours

All projects include the following tasks:

• Creation of player mapping

• Code integration with client sites/apps

• Set-up of reporting

• Basic analysis

Can I still use Media.monitor() with new heartbeat tracking?

No, Media.monitor() will no longer be available for heartbeat tracking. To track custom metadata, customer will have to pass metadata directly within AppMeasurement object with the start call going into Adobe Analytics

Will video data be available in Data Warehouse, Report Builder, Ad Hoc Analysis, and Data Workplace?

Yes, all video data will be available in these solutions provided customer has existing access to them.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 10 of 15

Yah it's failing again for me.

Request URL:

1. https://xtvapi.cloudtv.comcast.net/inhome/ - fails with a 403 (forbidden request) then subsequently the following fails
  2. http://xtvapi.cloudtv.comcast.net/tve/stream/linear/heartbeat/ 

I'm wondering if they are restricting out of home use as well now.

X-CDVR-STATUS-REASON:
Device Not At Home..
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 11 of 15

I'm new to this one, first time I've had a heartbeat error...had several during "Legion", streamed from Comcast on my desktop computer (Windows 10, intel i7, 12GB memory, SSD, this is a fast computer) using Chrome browser. The TV show would restart properly each time, but very disruptive, and needs to be fixed. I also believe that this is on the Comcast end.

I've streamed a lot of TV shows over the years on my various computers and iPads, and this is the first time I've seen this problem. Comcast has changed something...could be server overloading (not enough capacity to serve the demand) or some software change that let's the client get out of phase with the server. Makes streaming from Comcast a last resort, maybe that's what they want? Unload their servers by dumping a lot of potential streaming? I've also noticed that my 200Mbps speed goes way down during prime time, like to 125-150Mbps. I'm okay with "up to 200Mbps" as long as it doesn't go down that low. Seems like Comcast is selling a lot more capacity than they have to serve to their customers.

Oh well, so it goes, I probably should be watching a lot less TV anyways. And I most likely should get rid of Comcast TV, if they're not able to deliver what I'm paying them for.

Certainly brings up some things that I haven't considered before about how I should be getting my entertainment. Playstation Vue? Direct Now? Or???

Not happy about this one at all. Can you tell?

Posted by
Visitor

Message 12 of 15

This new feat heartbeat fail feature is happening every 10 minutes. Get your sh*t together Comcast.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 13 of 15

I tried to add HBO to my account and they could not get it to work. That was great because they fixed my heartbeat error.

They apparently had to reset my account. They said they never have seen a problem like mine at the local center. I had one channel online available to me and it was not part of my subscription.

To get to this point I called numerous times and had my modem reset over and over again, refreshed repeatedly whatever they do they did it and nothing worked. Then I get no subscription for all my channels online. I own my own modem, so when they started to suggest it was my new 24 channel modem I cancelled TV. Then when returning hardware they said I could save 2 dollars a month and get faster internet if I took HBO. So I did and HBO or any TV would not work online at all just was not available to me. I only had country music TV which I could not watch because it was not part of my package. The box works but I don't use it.

Again this has nothing to do with your computer.

They reset my account I had 4 devices now I have one, and I got email stating my secret question had been reset. I am confident they had to reset my account to fix the heartbeat error.

The issue is on there end. Period.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 14 of 15

user1fu wrote:

I tried to add HBO to my account and they could not get it to work. That was great because they fixed my heartbeat error.

They apparently had to reset my account. They said they never have seen a problem like mine at the local center. I had one channel online available to me and it was not part of my subscription.

To get to this point I called numerous times and had my modem reset over and over again, refreshed repeatedly whatever they do they did it and nothing worked. Then I get no subscription for all my channels online. I own my own modem, so when they started to suggest it was my new 24 channel modem I cancelled TV. Then when returning hardware they said I could save 2 dollars a month and get faster internet if I took HBO. So I did and HBO or any TV would not work online at all just was not available to me. I only had country music TV which I could not watch because it was not part of my package. The box works but I don't use it.

Again this has nothing to do with your computer.

They reset my account I had 4 devices now I have one, and I got email stating my secret question had been reset. I am confident they had to reset my account to fix the heartbeat error.

The issue is on there end. Period.

The heartbeat error was indeed on our end and was fixed a week or two ago for all users (it wasn't specific to any users' accounts). 

The CMT issue perplexed us at corporate HQ as well but turns out there is a CMT "free-view" going on so even customers without it in their package are getting access - even when they have nothing else. The bigger concern is why you lost entitlements to your other channels. We've noticed this happens most often with customers who have DTAs (small set-top boxes without much functionality) or no boxes connected. Some of the technical systems use the set-top box to signal internal systems what the proper channel lineup is for a particular household. That could be the source of your problems but would need more info to confirm.

I checked your account and HBO is active and available - you should have no trouble accessing it at https://tv.xfinity.com. Please let me know if that's not the case.

On a side note, I see 90 devices on your account - most of them the same.  Are you deleting/blocking cookies? That'll be frustrating to you if you need to sign in continuously.

-ComcastDan

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 15 of 15

YEP and other people where I am are stealing my service getting away with it and Comcast left a ORANGE TAG at the BOX that is torn wide open for now 5 months now.  Still having Ingress problems the older man that lives here is the isssue because he allows said thieves to steal from his own family.. He has some serious male insecurity going on VJO CA 94590.